Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What oil to use for Toyota Verso 7 seater

Verso guy

Hello,

I have a 64 plate Toyota (Registered between Sep 2014 & Mar 2015). I am getting an oil change done, I am confused this recent recommendations on 0w20 oil. I had been using 5W30 for this & previous cars. When I browse looking for oils, half the websites say 5W30 & half sites mention 0W20 . Can I go for 0W20 ? I live in London, England so we have 9 months of single digit weather and 3 months of summer (temp can reach 35 Celsius).

Car specs: | Toyota Verso 1.6L Petrol | 64 plate | 7 seater |

Any help would be appreciated.

Presumably your car is petrol??

If so, 0W-20 is Toyota's preferred oil. 5W-30 may be used but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.

Thanks for quick reply, yes it's a Petrol. Also, wouldn't a 0W20 oil affect summer conditions?

I look at the below chart and see that the ambient temperature of 0W20 is 10C , this doesn't look good, does it?

Difference-between-0w20-and-5w30-motor-o 

For the UK 0W-20 is correct - see following tutorial. Your car will be an Optimal Drive petrol.

One of the problems with forums is that you can get numerous different answers to the same questions.  When in doubt, a safe answer would come from thje manufacturer, be it a washing machine or a car that has caused a query. What does Mr Toyota say what oil should be used for your model?????? Find that answer and stick to it.

Just now, Catlover said:

What does Mr Toyota say what oil should be used for your model?

I have provided Toyota's preferred oil - which is 0W-20.

In my handbook for my corolla it states that if you use 10w30 or a higher viscosity oil in extremely low temperatures the engine may become difficult to start so sae 0w-16 ( for the hybrid) 0w-20 or 5W-30 can be used.

so I would say that if the engine is up on miles 5W-30 should be fine.

when my corolla is due for its first service I intend to ask for 0W-20 as I think 0W-16 is to thin for the summer months and anyway this was the recommended oil for the auris which has the same engine as the corolla in 1.8 form.

I wonder if Toyota have altered the spec’s for the oil in the hybrids to get the fuel consumptions figures up and co2 figures down for marketing purposes.

The oil for the current Yaris is thinner still - 0W-8. 

Toyota's preference for the Corolla actually says: 

"Preferred

SAE 0W-16 is filled into your Toyota vehicle at manufacturing, and the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 0W-16 oil is not available, SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with SAE 0W-16 at the next oil change."

Toyota have expressed their oil preference in a similar way since before 2009. The Verso owners manual's oil preference will be similar to my first post in this topic.

At the end of the day, the manufacturer should know best, but use whatever you want.

Thank you very much, I have ordered this : https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/shell-helix-0w-20-ultra-professional-as-l-c5-5ltr-521773561 I am assuming 'Shell Helix 0W-20 Ultra Professional AS-L C5' will be good enough? The manual states "Do not use ACEA C2 as it will degrade the oil when used" 

For me this is confusing as hell. On Carparts 4 less, I entered the reg number and was recommended this.

Yes that is fine. Toyota state that oil should be either API (American Petroleum Institute) SL, SM or SN and the oil linked to is API SL.

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes that is fine. Toyota state that oil should be either API (American Petroleum Institute) SL, SM or SN and the oil linked to is API SL.

Thank you, does it matter if the oil states Volvo at the bottom?

No, that looks like a Volvo spec, that’s all.

No - some manufacturers have oils blended to their own specific requirements. Toyota only require oil to the API spec, and the oil meets that.