Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking sensor/ backup sensor diy in auris or corolla from 2016 or after?

rajivrattna

I plan to do it but has any one done it before? The 2016 models have led reversing lights and the canbus light module that may interfere. Any one?

37 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

The 2016 models have led reversing lights

Our 2013 hybrid has LED back lights, but I am fairly certain that the reversing light is a conventional 15 watt or 18 watt bulb.

I have fitted aftermarket reverse park sensors on this car.  No problems anywhere.  The reverse light feed wire can be tapped into behind the left hand boot interior panel, close to the shock absorber top mount (which has a small trim access flap, fwiw).  But the flap didn't give enough access to this job - the trim panel was removed.  I think the cable loom runs alongside the petrol flap release cable.

If I remember correctly, the wire changes colour from the one it has on the back of the bulb holder (if you have a bulb holder!) as it passes through the next connector block.

There is an existing rubber boot under the car on the L/H side which, with minimal knife cutting, can take the wires from outside the car to inside the boot - no drilling of metal needed.

This is the official Toyota guide for the official sensors, perhaps some ideas here.

Some of this might be different on (your?)LHD car, but I suspect not. 

Auris Parking Sensors rear LHD.pdf

Thank you very much Gerg. You were spot on. The reverse light bulb (on the right side in my case) is a halogen bulb. The left side white light is a led but that is probably a fog light or something. So I am going to tap the reverse light positive signal on the right side in my case. Let us hope that the canbus light control does not play up. Thanks again. Your link does not work, by the way.

8 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Your link does not work, by the way

Did for me.

And for me.

17 hours ago, Gerg said:

There is an existing rubber boot under the car on the L/H side which, with minimal knife cutting, can take the wires from outside the car to inside the boot - no drilling of metal needed.

Auris Parking Sensors rear LHD.pdf 6.07 MB · 5 downloads

Did you have to remove the bumper to drill holes and mount the sensors or did you drill holes with the bumper attached to the car and just fished out the wires through the hole you mentioned? Finally got the link to work. Used a different device/ tablet.

I decided to remove the bumper. The car was still new to us at he time, so I was full of enthusiasm.  I think there is enough room to drill the bumper with it in place, just.  But the hole saw centre-drill, which protrudes further out, may strike the reinforcing beam that is behind the bumper.  You can get a better idea by looking inside the bumper cavity whilst lying on the floor underneath it.

I think the wire I tapped into was red, as my picture shows.

P1130464.thumb.JPG.61503608fa68912908b982b2056da12e.JPG

P1130467.thumb.JPG.9d5b7892a0d73036abe0a9816bea4445.JPG

P1130489.thumb.JPG.d09a3e41e8238fc4cd167a9e8f53cd4c.JPG

P1130473.thumb.JPG.a8359a1c0214a2c06f2d9ebc65c3fa3f.JPG

I tried to position the control box and the sounder near to an easily-removeable trim piece, the one that is there to allow access to the shock mount.  That way I could adjust the sound level of the of the speaker (by covering its hole with duct tape), and also diagnose any problems easily, post-installation, without hardly any dismantling.

I attached the loom to the back of the bumper with very slender cable (2mm wide) ties that would just fit through existing holes in the lugs - that are there for attaching the lowest plastic sub-section.

In our case, the kit was Amazon-supplied and around £15 all in, in 2016.  The sensors were ready-painted, but as the car is white, that was an easy match.  The kit looks just like the factory-fitted ones.  I favour them above the camera, which you have to concentrate on.  The reverse sensors will warn you even when your attention is (briefly) somewhere else!

You may find it useful to 'trick' the boot latch into thinking it's closed, for when you test the system.  I did this with a no.2 philips screwdriver pressed into the latch, so as to simulate the striker plate.  Withdraw the screwdriver and put a towel over the real striker plate so you don't try to slam the boot shut when the lock is already in the 'closed' position!

If you do remove the bumper, note that off the car, the bumper is quite 'wobbly', I'd suggest a helper here, just to keep it in control.  And a large blanket to put it down on - to stop it getting scratched.

P1130476.thumb.JPG.d593e341ddabcd03aae7520182371420.JPG

P1130478.thumb.JPG.0e0bac74090c1ca91587bfe346b9894a.JPG

HTH.

P1130465.JPG

P1130466.JPG

P1130487.JPG

P1130488.JPG

P1130477.JPG

Thank you Gerg for the photos and the DIY description. This is going to be very helpful. I have never removed the bumper to mount parking sensors in my earlier cars (rav4, aygo etc) and having seen your photos I am going to try without removing the plastic bumper. Waiting for the weather to get a little bit more warmer here in the northern hemisphere to work outside.