Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sighs!

altocumulus

OK, second phev in a row and tpms playing up after changing Winter/Summer tyres over. As far as I knew the garage was supposed to have added 8 codes for the two sets of wheels, but I cannot get the initialisation to accept. 'Tis 60 miles to my local garage!

I understand the Carista app will allow me to check and,  if necessary, update onboard codes. The app requires a subscription.

Question:  does one need the Carista obd2 dongle as well, or will the obdlink lx work?

Geoff

Hope everyone's safe and well.

Hi Geoff,

As far as I am aware, the only way to enter two sets of MAC addresses for 2 full sets of wheels properly equipped with the correct TPMS valves is using the Toyota Techstream application... Was your "garage" a proper Toyota Dealer/Franchise?

In answer to your Carista question, yes, the Carista app requires the Carista OBDII dongle. (I have both)

Thanks Colin.

Yes, the garage was my proper Toyota dealer!

I took the new car home, discovered there was paintwork damage. Whilst waiting for a paintshop slot I changed the wheels over to my Winter set. I asked the garage to add 4 new codes to the listing - they had done so for my previous PHEV. 3 weeks it took for the paintwork to be done!

Changed the wheels back a few weeks ago, and the damn TPMS won't settle - yet it said it had initialised 10 minutes after I had fixed the wheels and checked the pressures.

Sighs - just hoped the carista app on the 'green' obdII would work (I asked after watching someone on YouTube add codes to his Toyota).

Och weel - at least Tire Assistant and a standard tyre pressure gauge will keep me checked (perhaps a piece of black tape over the orange light on the dash....😅

Stay safe!

From the Carista website....

Tire pressure sensors (TPMS)

Register new TPMS sensor IDs (if you change your wheels or tire pressure sensors, for example); you can also see current tire pressures if pressure display is supported by the vehicle.

Further on the site, supports OBDLink MX bluetooth or LX (Android only) - I have the OBDLink LX version.

53 minutes ago, altocumulus said:

Further on the site, supports OBDLink MX Bluetooth or LX (Android only) - I have the OBDLink LX version.

Ah! That's interesting! I have both the Carista and the OBDLink LX dongles (that I use for Hybrid Assistant). I'll have to try running the Carista app with the OBDLink dongle and see what it gives me...

I did buy the dongle for the hybrid assistant,  but found the app too confusing for my little brain!

Thanks Colin, it would be informative. 

You can only code 5 sensors you will have to scan each wheel to get the code and enter it

Carly and carista are just pay for apps (that's how they make their money) the dongles are nothing special

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPN said:

Ah! That's interesting! I have both the Carista and the OBDLink LX dongles (that I use for Hybrid Assistant). I'll have to try running the Carista app with the OBDLink dongle and see what it gives me...

Hmmm.... Now I know why I went the way of OBDLink and it's app! Using the Carista app with the OBDLink LX dongle sure enough works BUT when I did a full OBD2 scan of all 30+ ECUs, it came up with 10 codes to investigate and guess what? To look at any of the codes indicated, I had to get the Pro version and at £9.99/month or £46.99 for the year, I think not! ESPECIALLY when I repeated the same scan with the OBDLink app and it found no fault codes active at all!! (and the OBDLink app DOES support my model year of the Yaris)

Now, I also noticed that the Carista app did not support my model year of the Yaris and as such, I could not see any way to access the TPMS system from the customise section. The Carista app does, however, support your Prius model so you may be in luck in that regard. I would try the free version of the Carista app with your OBDLink dongle and see how you get on...

• Thanks 1

From the reviews I've been reading it looks to me as if the OBDLink app would be a better bet for you and also remember that it can keep the dongle's firmware updated too...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CPN said:

From the reviews I've been reading it looks to me as if the OBDLink app would be a better bet for you and also remember that it can keep the dongle's firmware updated too...

The OBDLink app allows TPMS access? I'll give that a go, tbh I haven't looked at that app.... 🤐

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

You can only code 5 sensors you will have to scan each wheel to get the code and enter it

Carly and carista are just pay for apps (that's how they make their money) the dongles are nothing special

Only 5! And the prius doesn't even have a spare wheel! Interesting, though, my 2018 model was capable of receiving 8 codes - especially for the Winter/Summer scenario.

I'll do some digging and see what I can get - Tire Assistant provides sensor details so even if it's only 5 codes I can rustle something up.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks all...

Now I'm totally confused.

I couldn't find any place on the odblink app to identify tyre sensor data.

Downloading Carista, I could view that the car has 4 sensors stored, all showing pressure.

I had a go at reinitialising the tpms system and it said it had done.

But I've been here before, so I'll wait until I've driven a while to see if it's taken! Odd if it has! Surely looking through Carista isn't enough to force any reset? 

Interesting! My purchase was through Amazon. It says in features, not compatible with hybrids nor evs! Also

There are never monthly subscription fees or data plans, in-app purchases, hidden costs, or ads.

There are in-app purchases...enhancements- but at least I got a firmware update....

Ps how many folk can link to car and Internet at same time.....😁....I was out of wifi range from the house.....

1 hour ago, altocumulus said:

Now I'm totally confused.

I couldn't find any place on the odblink app to identify tyre sensor data.

Ah ok. I'll dig a bit deeper...

Downloading Carista, I could view that the car has 4 sensors stored, all showing pressure.

Unfortunately, the Carista app doesn't properly support my model year of Yaris (yet)

I had a go at reinitialising the tpms system and it said it had done.

But I've been here before, so I'll wait until I've driven a while to see if it's taken! Odd if it has! Surely looking through Carista isn't enough to force any reset?

I wouldn't have thought so?

Ps how many folk can link to car and Internet at same time.....😁....I was out of wifi range from the house.....

I have mesh wifi all over the house and it reaches the end of both gardens and the driveway 😉

I have mesh, too, but doesn't reach the part where the car is, unless I switch on the hub in the telescope obsy.....

• Like 1