Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange CHR noise

Jill S

I have a strange noise coming from the dashboard where it meets the steering wheel. 

It is an electrical feedback/static sound, it sounds like the noise you get when you open a pair of shears. It is a high pitched electric squeak. It is a very intermittent noise ( I've only heard it 4 times since buying the car new, 6 months ago). 

It is a 2020 CHR. The first time it made the noise was when it had only 500km on it. I heard it only 3 times since.

When it starts to squeak it happens every 20 seconds or so until you turn the car off. 

When it starts to squeak, I've tried everything to make it stop. I've turned on/off everything that has a button in the car ( cruise control, heated wheel, radio etc)

It has happened on both the highway, and city streets. 

I took it to Toyota, they kept it for 2 days, and drove it a lot and could not recreate the noise. They told me to come back when it got worse. Has anyone else had this happen, or have any suggestions?

Hi, best to try to record the noise and come back to us to check if someone can recognise it, is the car hybrid or non hybrid? Does it happen when the car is stationary or when is moving? 
Regards 

I had this issue with a Avensis but the generator went bad and made a squeaking noise. 

On 10/10/2020 at 9:40 PM, Toyotaavensis6624 said:

Hi i have a problem with my avensis t25 2.0 d4d 2007

The idle is very rough once the car is warmed up 

Cleaned out egr

Cleaned Maf and Map

Checked all vacuum pipes all clear

No error codes scanned with techstream 

Attached is a techstream log at idle and up to temp. Would be great if someone could upload a log of a avensis running great so i could compare with my file to see if there is anything abnormal.

Any help would be great

20200923-184845.jpg 20200923-184850.jpg

5 hours ago, Jill S said:

I have a strange noise coming from the dashboard where it meets the steering wheel. 

It is an electrical feedback/static sound, it sounds like the noise you get when you open a pair of shears. It is a high pitched electric squeak. It is a very intermittent noise ( I've only heard it 4 times since buying the car new, 6 months ago). 

It is a 2020 CHR. The first time it made the noise was when it had only 500km on it. I heard it only 3 times since.

When it starts to squeak it happens every 20 seconds or so until you turn the car off. 

When it starts to squeak, I've tried everything to make it stop. I've turned on/off everything that has a button in the car ( cruise control, heated wheel, radio etc)

It has happened on both the highway, and city streets. 

I took it to Toyota, they kept it for 2 days, and drove it a lot and could not recreate the noise. They told me to come back when it got worse. Has anyone else had this happen, or have any suggestions?

Does it happen when the car is travelling slowly and in electric mode? If so it is probably the AVAS - see 

Here is a video of the noise. It is not an electric vehicle, and happens only when driving. It doesn't matter the speed, I've heard it a t 20km/hr and 110km/hr. Thank you so much for the help. 

6 hours ago, Jill S said:

It is not an electric vehicle,

So it is a 1.2T rather than a hybrid.

First time I heard a noise like that, no idea what can it be exactly but agreed sounds like an electrical , relay or ecu , or something whatever is located there. Can you switch off the heating and the fan to eliminate any possible noise caused by that system and see if happens again.  

It is not a hybrid car ( I don't know what a 1.2T is, sorry) it is an XLE premium edition gas car. The CHR isn't available in hybrid in Canada.

I have turned on/off everything in the car to see if the noise goes away. Including the heated seats, heated steering wheel, radio, A/C, heat, cruise control, and adaptive cruise. 

My worry is that, with it being an electric noise, something could spark a fire, or stop working randomly while I'm driving?

Shouldn't Toyota have some database of noises, or chatgroup that the dealership could tap into to ask for assistance? Or am I just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking. As far as I'm aware no car manufacturer has such a database.

Presumably you have the 2 litre petrol, which we don't have in Europe (Toyota Owners Club is UK based with the majority of members in the UK).

You would be better getting the car looked at by your dealer, or the Toyota Canada website has a chat with a dealer function which you could use.

I wonder if the noise is related to the steering wheel or the clock spring try turning the wheel lock to lock when parked to see if it does it with the engine running otherwise I would do as frosty balls said and have another word with the dealer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links