Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Engines

Belucky22

I had a lot of diesel related problems with a Volvo C30 2007 that  I decided never again.  However with all I've found out about Toyota, what are the diesel engine like ?

Like any diesel engine with later emissions controls, they can suffer from diesel particulate filter and EGR issues. From 2014-15, the 1.6 and 2.0 units were versions of the BMW N47 - Verso from 2014, Auris, Avensis and Rav4 from 2015. The 1.4D4D used in the Yaris and Auris was a Toyota unit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you buying a diesel Toyota only buy with their own engines, otherwise you are buying a Toyota car with the problems from other manufacturers ., full stop from me. 1.4diesel it’s not bad though if cheap enough why not. If it’s me hybrid all the way. The difference is day and night, I had a Priuses for few years as company cars then needed my own one and tried petrol Auris then diesel Auris and didn’t like them at all in comparison with the Prius, then I tried a hybrid Auris and felt immediately home , exactly the same smooth, quiet and responsive drive like before 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the prompt and clear reply.  Unfortunately from previous regular problems I'll give diesel a miss.

Unless you are doing 18k+ miles a year forget diesel, short runs less than 5 miles will strangle a diesel, petrols and Hybrids can be just as efficient

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This forum is fantastic for help.  Much appreciated and I really need to test drive a hybrid.   Basically apprehensive of now things like stop start.  Also more things to go wrong.  You can tell I've had some bad experiences 😂.

Never had a Toyota !

• Thanks 1

My voice goes for basic petrol engine. Toyota engines have chain instead of a belt, so your regular service is only replacing oil and filters. That's it. 

The less fancy things there are, the chances of potential breakdowns are smaller.

Hybrid does not have that good MPG, for me to justify getting one, and also, electricity is not free, and batteries deteriorate over time.

My 1.6 gasoline Auris i have ranges from 42-48 mpg (winter/summer), which i think is pretty good for a car that weights some 1250 kg or so, and has 91kw.

• Thanks 1

Few years ago the wife and I both had Toyota Yaris 1.4 turbo diEsels, mine had 6 gears, the wife’s 5 gears. The 6 gear was the better. Both performed well and proved trouble free. In time the wife took over my Yaris diesel and I had a Toyota Auris Hybrid. Few months later, loving the Auris hybrid, I got a Prius (hybrid) and the wife tool over my Auris hybrid. Neither of us are going to part with our hybrids for any petrol or diesel - maybe a full electric in years to come, who knows.

I had a Hyundai i30 with stop-start, most of the time it didn’t work.... everything had to be right for it to be reliable. The Toyota hybrid stop-start incorporated in the hybrid system is faultless, basically like everything else to do with the hybrid system.  Do as much research as you want and you won’t find many grumbles/faults at all with Toyota hybrids.  I did the research 4 years ago, concluded Toyota hybrid was the way to go.

The wife’s Auris is doing low 60’s mpg, my Prius Gen 4 regularly does over 70mpg, best I got 96mpg over a 50 mile journey. Sorry to repeat myself, but hybrids are so relaxing to drive.

• Like 2

Never knew Toyota used other manufacturers diesel engines!

I'd also add that unless you're regularly doing long daily drives I'd steer away from diesels. As mentioned above they need to be ran to clear themselves otherwise you get problems from deposits building.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MrZardoz said:

Never knew Toyota used other manufacturers diesel engines!

Toyota used the BMW engines as a short term solution (approx 4 years) to not having a 1.6 diesel - which left them at a disadvantage in the marketplace and was more cost effective than designing their own engine of this capacity.

Two of the models that used these engines did not have hybrid versions and were not replaced directly at the end of their lives (Verso and Avensis, partly due to falling sales.

• Thanks 1

I have had 2 diesels over the years.

First in 2007 when lived in Normandy France. Bought a brand new Toyota Corolla 1.4D4D Hatchback. Had it for 2.5 years, as then moved to County Kerry Ireland and didn't need a LHD car. Covered 44,000 kilometres fault free. Had old Volvo 240 and 940 Petrol auto since. A few years ago bought a 2007 Lexus IS 220 Diesel for £1400.

It lasted 19 months until the head gasket went at 187,000miles. A common issue on the 2.2TD! Sold for £350bscrap on eBay. Pic of car before collection.

Never again a Diesel! Then bought a 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid. No issues and great to drive. Good MPG. Only issue is flat 12 volt Battery. Just had a new one fitted. Use my 940 for work and Auris for best. My Auris is named Hector, the Hybrid. Volvo Pewter as P reg and silver!

My 2 Volvo and Lexus before 240 GLT sold and Lexus scrapped.

James👍

Lexus.jpg

fleet.jpg

• Thanks 2

There's less manufacturers making diesels, the extra crap installed to get through emissions regs makes them less reliable and expensive to repair. I still have a pre DPF second car, Isuzu engine Vauxhall which does 50mpg. These were the last from the era of good diesels! My hybrid gets 60mpg plus in a much more pleasant and reliable manner. I looked at everything on the market before this and there was simply nothing else to buy. Drove a Citroën C4 for 500 miles recently,  1.2 GDI engine with annoying stop start, gutless, sounds like a diesel at tickover and full of problems like carbon choking the valves after a short time. If that's what new turbo  GDI petrol cars forget it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Couldn’t agree more, however there are many people out there that doesn’t know much about the magic of the Toyota hybrids and don’t want to accept it or learn something about it, they still prefer diesels over the hybrid , they also are saying that electric vehicles are nonsense. I believe The electric cars will change not only the way we travel but the way we live entirely and Toyota hybrids has started this transition long ago. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have driven 5 hybrid Toyotas and yes they are wonderful cars. I almost bought one myself. But dont underrate the diesels, because they are gret cars aswell and they are better to pull stuff.

Would it not be better if Toyota made A hybrid Diesel?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ikram Shahar said:

I have driven 5 hybrid Toyotas and yes they are wonderful cars. I almost bought one myself. But dont underrate the diesels, because they are gret cars aswell and they are better to pull stuff.

Would it not be better if Toyota made A hybrid Diesel?

Diesel engines are great for specific use only as you mentioned, large vehicles, ships, busses, lorries etc, they have great pulling power and deliver better economy in comparison with petrol engines., the problem is the burning process is dirtier and requires a lot more additional systems to make it clean therefore they had never been a good choice in small to medium cars. , these are for larger cars or bigger machines. Plus Diesel engines in cars are not as reliable as petrol, need specific driving conditions to perform well and in a long run they loose efficiency and performance a lot mote than a petrol engines. Diesel hybrids are proof not to be good from other manufacturers, Toyota definitely knows what they are doing. , and I think their hybrid tech is best on the market and closest thing to electric cars. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Diesels are not designed to be stopped and started it tends to foul the emissions equipment even with DEF (urea) on lorries it still causes problems, Diesel is dead in the passenger market, all the big names have been hit billions in fines over diesels with millions of cars scrapped, even van's have been hit especially in London due to congestion charge, any diesel before euro 6 get hit with an extra £12.50 a day

Even the new black cabs are EV now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most manufacturers have stopped developing diesel engines because of their uncertain future, and this was largely before the push towards EVs.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The electric cars will change not only the way we travel

Not too far until the batteries are much improved and the charging time greatly reduced.

I wouldn't buy a Diesel engined vehicle now because of the journeys and my annual mileage.

A hybrid, yes, but not now because my current car is fine - except for rear wheel bearings of course!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely will not buy another diesel.  Petrol or hybrid will depend on availability.

Hoping to buy from John Roe, Hull.  Has anyone any experience of them ?

• Like 1

Diesel cars are troublesome in a long run, they have so many components that goes bad in relatively short time, cost fortune to replace, often impossible for diy work, and the savings from fuel goes towards all that., add the noise and pollution they produce, they way they drive and compare with Toyota hybrids and you will see why so many people are switching to latest and why Toyota stopped offering only petrol or diesel cars. Nothing wrong to buy any car with any engine, the most important is to buy the most suitable car for you, your personal circumstances and your budget., follow these 3 steps and never can be wrong. 👍🚘

• Thanks 1

Thanks, at least I can be definite about something 😀

I like my diesel engine, it's as quiet as a petrol and it pulls like a train. It's been as reliable as any petrol engined car I've ever had, too.

And, I don't feel as if I'm stirring porridge with the gearstick. 

• Thanks 1

Always happy to read of good experiences but does it have a dpf ?

1 hour ago, Belucky22 said:

Always happy to read of good experiences but does it have a dpf ?

Yes, it has a DPF, I've had no trouble with that either.

Wish I'd been as fortunate.  Regrettably it was Volvo/Ford !