Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 whining (alternator?) noise from speakers

JiiN

I have an issue with whining noise from Speakers in my 2010 T27. Sound pitch gets higher when car revs higher. Sound is not very loud but it gets annoying when radio is turned to lower volume. Does anyone struggled with this issue and is there any solution to fix it? I have original Touch&Go headunit and Alpine Speakers in my car.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JiiN said:

I have an issue with whining noise from speakers in my 2010 T27. Sound pitch gets higher when car revs higher. Sound is not very loud but it gets annoying when radio is turned to lower volume. Does anyone struggled with this issue and is there any solution to fix it? I have original Touch&Go headunit and Alpine speakers in my car.

dude i had that problem the other day in mine .did you do this 

https://www.fanaticaudio.com/posts/toyota-avensis-t27-kaiuttimien-vaihto/

well if youdid it the same way dose the sound come from the dash tweeters as well i was trying to find a gromit where i can run a positive wire from the Battery threw the firewall as i did that same speaker upgrade and well i am going one step further with a PIONEER GM-D1004 wiring that in .

well back to the problem when i was trying to fing where to put in the amp wire i took off my glove box and behind mine is my fuse box i moved the big cap that is on my dash left tweeter and well i moved it close to the main wires coming into the fuze box and i got that anoying buzzing that went up and down with me revving the car.really anoying. well i reached up and moved the cap which i had it covered in speaker foam and the sound went away thank god. i hope thats the same problem u have and can fix it .

• Like 1

Not easy to diagnose at a distance...

Some clues might be whether turning high electrical loads on (headlights and heated window) alter the sound at all. If they do then it might be the alternator brushes arcing (worn). Is the mileage very high? If the sounds doesn't change when doing this then it might be something else.

Could there be an issue with the ignition system, incorrect plugs or leads fitted?

50 minutes ago, Mooly said:

Not easy to diagnose at a distance...

Some clues might be whether turning high electrical loads on (headlights and heated window) alter the sound at all. If they do then it might be the alternator brushes arcing (worn). Is the mileage very high? If the sounds doesn't change when doing this then it might be something else.

Could there be an issue with the ignition system, incorrect plugs or leads fitted?

That's the problem. There is no difference is there much electrical loads on or not. I was wondering could it be headunits bad grounding? Cars mileage is 115000km (71500miles). And alternator doesn't make any other sound, only that whining/buzzing sound wich comes from Speakers.

You mentioned 'radio' in the first post and so that was what made me think it may be related to RFi (radio frequency interference) rather than a noise entering by other means. Ignition circuits can radiate RF interference. Can you pick the noise up on a portable radio in or near the car?

Grounding problems can cause issues but these are a bit unlikely if it has all worked OK in the past and is a standard installation.

I meant radio because I usually listen only a radio. But that whining noise appears too when I listen music via usb, bluetooth etc. That noise appears even if volume is turned to zero. I didn't regonize that noise with OEM Speakers. It isn't really big noise, but like I said earlier it can be heard specially when volume is turned to low.  I have a meeting next tuesday near that Hi-Fi store where I got those Speakers, so maybe I should ask them what they think about this issue. I read somewhere that faulty speaker can also do this problem. But any ideas to fix this problem are more than welcome.

I can't see a normal passive speaker causing the problem. There is no mechanism for it to do this.

If the replacement Speakers have additional amplification that has been added then it would be possible to introduce noise if the electrical installation was incorrect.

It is very difficult to diagnose at distance without doing more detailed tests. You first of all have to determine where this noise is entering the audio chain, whether it is power supply related or whether it is being picked up via interference that is being radiated from the ignition and electrical systems.

It definitely has to do something with the fancy Speakers you have installed. 

2 hours ago, Ikram Shahar said:

It definitely has to do something with the fancy speakers you have installed. 

ive got those fancy Speakers also and tbh i have no problems at all  i have installed  front = ALPINE S-S69C   rear =  Alpine S-S65

i had that whining buzzing sound but with my front door Speakers that comes with separate tweeters i was looking around the firewall of the car and when i was installing the tweeters in the dash they came with a big cap then by the directions said to wrap the cap in speaker foam so i did was working well until i wanted to install a class d amp and moved the cap over beside the wiring loom that was going into the back of my fuse box and i got that annoying noise .i moved it away again and the noise went away .

Is the Alpine sound system worth it? 

12 hours ago, 2009joe said:

ive got those fancy speakers also and tbh i have no problems at all  i have installed  front = ALPINE S-S69C   rear =  Alpine S-S65

i had that whining buzzing sound but with my front door speakers that comes with separate tweeters i was looking around the firewall of the car and when i was installing the tweeters in the dash they came with a big cap then by the directions said to wrap the cap in speaker foam so i did was working well until i wanted to install a class d amp and moved the cap over beside the wiring loom that was going into the back of my fuse box and i got that annoying noise .i moved it away again and the noise went away .

3 hours ago, Ikram Shahar said:

I have same Speakers and yes it is worth it.

Here You see difference between front door OEM and Alpine speaker: avensis-t27-11-600x450.jpg

And rear: avensis-t27-40-600x450.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JiiN said:

I have same speakers and yes it is worth it.

Here You see difference between front door OEM and Alpine speaker: avensis-t27-11-600x450.jpg

thats the same set up as me there nic Speakers i am also going to wire in a PIONEER GM-D1004 when i can find a right place to run the cable threw the firewall. as i can see one gromit but its behind my fuse bos in the glove box area 

What model fits the Avensis T27 best?

On 4/22/2021 at 2:23 PM, JiiN said:

I have same speakers and yes it is worth it.

22 minutes ago, Ikram Shahar said:

What model fits the Avensis T27 best?

Nothing. I made with this DIY guidance: https://www.fanaticaudio.com/posts/toyota-avensis-t27-kaiuttimien-vaihto/ 

It is Finnish, but pics shows how OEM Speakers need to tear a part to use them as an adapter to new one.

• Like 1

So I asked the company where I got those Speakers and they didn't know anything about this kind a issue. I did a little research and it looks like the left tweeter at dashboard only gives this annoying sound. I have to get that tweeter out someday when I have more time and check if somehow wiring do the noise.

That whining noise is now gone! I covered left front tweeter crossover with tin foil and placed it a little bit different spot under dash. I noticed there is bunch of wires just where crossover was, so tweeter must get that noise from there. After all, problem solved.

• Like 1

That sounds like an issue 'where you have to be there' to see what is going on. If physically moving and shielding the crossover has corrected the issue then it sounds like some of the wiring loom is radiating RFI (radio frequency interference) and that is being induced into the system via the speaker wiring.

Good to hear you found a fix. 

On 4/22/2021 at 10:12 AM, Ikram Shahar said:

It depends on what you want. If you are keeping the car for a long time and had better audio in another car, yes it is worth it. When I owned my '98 T22, the Speakers sounded bad on hot days, because the inner cone rubbed against the magnet or coil. I put up with it and found a way to reduce the rubbing. It worked mostly because there were very few hot days. The problem was with one speaker, but other front speaker began to have the same issue. I went and replaced all the Speakers with 6.5" JBL 2 way Speakers. Sony CD/radio/cassette stereo fitted from factory, had high power and easily drove these efficient speakers. The difference was night and day, so it was worth the upgrade. For a while, I had both the T22 and my current T27. The T22 had better midrange and bass to treble balanced sound, where the T27 has weak midrange, slightly drowned in the bass. The dash mount tweeters save the high end. I made some adjustment to compensate the sound. If the speakers start to have any problems, I will consider replacing them.   

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the information Konrad

On 5/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, JiiN said:

That whining noise is now gone! I covered left front tweeter crossover with tin foil and placed it a little bit different spot under dash. I noticed there is bunch of wires just where crossover was, so tweeter must get that noise from there. After all, problem solved.

true boss thats where i found my noise also was my front left dash tweeter .i just wrapped up the wires tighter so the cap dont go into the car dash as far so its beside the wires i found a spot on under the front dash tweeters cover where the cap could squeeze in all good now thanks for your guys help