Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please can someone advice me about the lack of a retaining clip on the oil filter

valentino46

Can someone please advise me about the lack of retaining clip on my oil filter [not fittedt] to my vehicle .according to my local main dealer / 2012 AENSIS T27.1.8 PETROL...THANKS 

Thanks  for your help  ???

Thanks . the clip is ,or was supposed to retain the oil filter housing, there is a rectangle slot where it was ,or is fitted Thank you

If you are refering to the metal rectangle slot, it's to insert a ratchet, to unscrew it. So you can dump out excess oil from the filter, before taking the filter housing out, to be able to replace the actual filter.

Why do you think there should be some clip there? 
image.thumb.png.afdf81af9be209ddf9e6443f56fd2e44.pngimage.thumb.png.fd50f374f91d95b305fd1c6ec38ef8e5.png

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

I have never seen one of those before.

Only thing i can think of, as to its use is, so you can undo the drain without unscrewing the filter

9 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Only thing i can think of, as to its use is, so you can undo the drain without unscrewing the filter

I always undo the drain before I unscrew the filter.

Thanks . the clip is ,or was supposed to retain the oil filter housing, there is a rectangle slot where it was ,or is fitted Thank you  the slot is machined in the engine block ,not on the filter, I am beginning to think that it is just not fitted on this model .Thankyou all,

I did a post on changing the oil on my 2009 (58 plate) 1.8 Valvematic - 

In one of the photos you can just see the clip mentioned by the OP. Every time I went to remove the filter housing, it was tight due to me slightly overtightening, from the previous oil change. The filter tool helps keep the clip catching on the lugs, but not lock the filter housing in place! So it doesn't really matter if it's there or not. So long as the filter housing is just tight enough, like a standard oil filter, there should be no issue.