Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cam Chain replacement query

DarrylTR

Hi, I intend installing a new SKF cam chain kit in our late 2009 1.0 Yaris with the 1kr FE engine as there is definitely some noise from it.

I'm not perturbed about doing the job but can anyone confirm whether it is possible to leave the sump in situ when removing the cam chain cover?

I have seen some mention somewhere that this is possible but don't want to risk breaking anything if it is not.

Obviously, leaving the sump in situ removes one less item to potentially leak.

I can easily make up a tool to lock the crank but has anyone used a high torque Impact gun to remove the crank nut rather than locking it up and using a breaker bar.

Thanks in advance Darryl

There are plenty of vids on YouTube iirc there are 2 studs that come out of the oil pump and into the sump, you may be able to remove the studs, but you will still need to seal the sump on that edge

i will drop you a PM

Thanks Flash, I'll have a look at that and also the PM contents.

Thanks for your help.

You now fore sure its the chain??  these engine has a problem with piston slapping specialy with a cold engine. How is the oil consumption ??

I would have thought the op has had the cam cover off or has codes for correlation, these engines eat chains in not cared for

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links