Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E5 - E10 petrol

AaronDavid

I have a 2003 Estima Aeras. Does anyone know if I can use the new unleaded (E10) or will I have to find 'super unleaded' (E5)?

Moved to the Estima forum.

See:

If your engine is one of the AZ series, similar to the Avensis engines mentioned in the above topic, it may not be suitable for E10.

Thank you. It is a 2.4 but I don't know if it's AZ. I'd guess it probably is

According to Wikipedia the first generation Estima  1990-99 used the TZ engine, and the second generation 2000 on, used the AZ.

Australia also uses E10 petrol and the following Australian guide to E10 compatibility states the pre 1996 Tarago (Australian name for the Estima and Previa) isn't compatible with E10.

See:  https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice/can-my-car-use-e10-ethanol-fuel-23625

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Jumping in as mine is a similar question. Looking at the link to the Australian guide, they say that Tarago pre 1996 is a no for E10, but later years should be ok.

I'm confused how that matches with the wikipedia info that AZ is used 2000 later and is possibly not suitable for E10.

I have a 2008 estima 2.4 (petrol not hybrid), so by Wikipedia it's probably AZ? If AZ is incompatible with E10 then it looks like probably best to switch to super unleaded.

But if this is right, we maybe need to be cautious applying the Australian guidance?

You could aways try a mix.?...ie..every couple (or every other) of fill-ups go for super-unleaded.

Don't forget those magic words.."up to"..so in truth you won't know precisely what percentage ethanol you'll be getting.

I'm pretty certain that my 3 litre V6 1mz-fe will be fine but I'll probably do a mix of E5 Super-unleaded and E10 just to have safety margin.

• 4 months later...

So, a few months have passed and several tanks filled. I've been sticking with the more expensive E5 supreme mix to be safe, but with fuel prices only going up I thought I'd check in again and see what others are doing? Has everyone switched over to this too, or is anyone risking E10 and how's that going?

RUToyota - how have you found your mixed approach, any issues?

Still doing less miles the "normal" so both  cars we have are still running on E5., so no problems.

50 minutes ago, ferny said:

So, a few months have passed and several tanks filled. I've been sticking with the more expensive E5 supreme mix to be safe, but with fuel prices only going up I thought I'd check in again and see what others are doing? Has everyone switched over to this too, or is anyone risking E10 and how's that going?

RUToyota - how have you found your mixed approach, any issues?

.....I'm still mixing, but I've run with more E10 in the tank...and I've run with more E5 in the tank..and tbh couldn't tell the difference.

Mpg isn't that important to me tbh..so I never really check it......I don't do that many miles for it to be an issue so I guess I'm not the best reference point.

50 minutes ago, ferny said:

I've been sticking with the more expensive E5 supreme mix to be safe, but with fuel prices only going up I thought I'd check in again and see what others are doing?

I am getting 16% less fuel economy, but I have been using E10 for 6 years at least, so all those on here that think it's the E10, I think it's the colder weather.

24 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Still doing less miles the "normal" so both  cars we have are still running on E5., so no problems.

Can you get 95 octane E5 ? and what is the price difference with E10 ?

I get the Prius fuel from Costco, I don’t notice the price, I know what nozzle I want. Wife will usually fuel up at Sainsburys (but last week it was Costco cause I was with her), again, she is doing lot les miles then “normal” so just stuffs in what she needs and pays up.

I had been using E5 but am now on my second tank of E10.  On my next fill I am going back to E5.  With the higher octane the engine is quieter, smoother and pulls better up hills,  that's enough justification for me.

Just now, Trewithy said:

I had been using E5 but am now on my second tank of E10.  On my next fill I am going back to E5.  With the higher octane the engine is quieter, smoother and pulls better up hills,  that's enough justification for me.

E5 does not mean higher octane, although most of the time when you buy E5 it will be 98 or 99 Octane. I am surprised, though, that you can hear that different on a MY20 car. I'm still waiting on the delivery of my Yaris and still undecided about the fuel choice. I have used on current car, very occasionally, E5 95 octane and never really noticed any difference.

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

E5 does not mean higher octane, although most of the time when you buy E5 it will be 98 or 99 Octane. I am surprised, though, that you can hear that different on a MY20 car. I'm still waiting on the delivery of my Yaris and still undecided about the fuel choice. I have used on current car, very occasionally, E5 95 octane and never really noticed any difference.

In the UK E5 unleaded is 98 or 99 octane, 95 octane is only available as E10.  With your new Yaris I should use 95 octane for a couple of months to establish a benchmark, then try a tank full of higher octane. If you can't notice any difference then revert to 95.  Although I have never been in a Yaris with the latest 1.5 engine I know from my own experience (Fiesta 1.0 and BMW 1.5) some three cylinder engines are prone to vibrations at certain revs and can benefit from  the smoothness higher octane can provide.  One big advantage the Yaris has is that for more than 50% of the time the engine is not actually running and is nearly always off when stationary.

• Like 1

On advice from my usual mechanic, I stick with E5. Apparently the bio-oil is a solvent and attacks older seals. I always thought petrol was a solvent anyway but what do I know? E10 has 5% more bio-oil but you get 10% less mileage. Has nobody done the maths on this? It's almost as if we're being coerced to go electric 😎

It seems to depend on the car - I don't think E10 has made any significant difference to the MPG of my Mk4 - I'm certain the drop is mainly down to the cold as I can see the engine is not staying at 4 heat bars like it needs to for optimal efficiency. Other people, esp. the more efficient non-hybrid petrol engines, seem to have more of an effect.

As far as compatibility is concerned, anything with a carb or vulnerable rubber seals/lines should avoid E-anything, but if the car works with E5 it'll be fine with E10 as long as the fuel is being run through the system regularly and not being allowed to sit. The only major difference with E10 over E5 is it will tend to draw in more water than E5; If the fuel is being run through regularly that isn't an issue, but if it's allowed to sit, that's where problems will start to occur.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I had a 2001 Fiesta and was assured E10 was safe. Within 3 months the car began misfiring & was beyond economical repair. Bought an Aygo 2011 & will only be using E5.  

3 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Try this:

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

I tend to fill up with E5 on one tank and then E10 for thenext. I try and fill up when my gauge shows halfway, so the fuels will mix.

Sort of E7.5 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

Sort of E7.5 😄

Correct 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1