Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New windscreen on 2019 corolla

Cbatoday

20210421_134209.thumb.jpg.ed054472ba5716ca9d3e876ed9821537.jpg

On motorway yesterday and stone has put a bullseye in middle of the screen

Autoglass said they can't replace it for 3 weeks as it has to go into a centre to have the new screen fitted and then calibrated 3 hour job

Is this correct and do you have to have autoglass do it as the insurance told me to use them.

Would rather use a Toyota dealer with genuine parts and expertise 

Calibration will be necessary for the safety system to work correctly. Autoglass is probably your insurer's Approved Repairer. If you want to use another company your replacement glass excess will be higher, perhaps quite a bit higher. Check your insurance policy document.

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Calibration will be necessary for the safety system to work correctly. Autoglass is probably your insurer's Approved Repairer. If you want to use another company your replacement glass excess will be higher, perhaps quite a bit higher. Check your insurance policy document.

How would putting a non oem part on the car affect the warranty 

The windscreen would no longer have cover for manufacturing defects, but would be covered by Autoglass' warranty.

Might ask insurance if autoglass can fit an oem screen

How much would toyota charge for a calibration only

It is vitally important the calibration is carried out. You need to speak to your dealer direct as to the costs, they may not do a stand alone calibration. The screen and calibration should be done at the same time by the same company. Do NOT risk having the screen fitted and calibration done at some later date

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Autoglass are quoting 3 weeks before they can do it which I think is very poor

Will they cover new Wiper Blades every 2 or 3 days when it rains and they are damaged on the damage. I somehow don't think so.

That’s bad experience, I had a lots of these even on the paint work although smaller and does not require any work for now, until it cracks itself overnight like had happened before. Can you speak to your insurance if possible you get the car fixed in Toyota and then show them the invoice and make a claim, you pay Toyota, insurance pays you.? Is that possible? 

25 minutes ago, Cbatoday said:

Will they cover new wiper blades every 2 or 3 days when it rains and they are damaged on the damage. I somehow don't think so.

I think you answered your own question :crybaby: :crybaby:Doubt they would 

15 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Can you speak to your insurance if possible you get the car fixed in Toyota and then show them the invoice and make a claim, you pay Toyota, insurance pays you.? I

Doubt this would be feasible as the insurer would want  a proper audit trail for having the work done and paid for. Insurers use Approved Repairers as it is cheaper for them both in terms of cost, audit trails, etc.

They may be willing for a Toyota dealer to carry out the repair, but there may then be a cost limit on how much they would pay and/or charge a higher excess. The OP would need to check their policy to see what conditions there are when moving away from their Approved Repairer.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Doubt this would be feasible as the insurer would want  a proper audit trail for having the work done and paid for. Insurers use Approved Repairers as it is cheaper for them both in terms of cost, audit trails, etc.

They may be willing for a Toyota dealer to carry out the repair, but there may then be a cost limit on how much they would pay and/or charge a higher excess. The OP would need to check their policy to see what conditions there are when moving away from their Approved Repairer.

Thanks.,

if the car needs some safety system calibration the independent garage should do it and if not possible they have to take the car to the Toyota garage to sort it out for the customer. , otherwise only new windscreen fitted is not full job done, how new cars especially high tech ones which seems Corolla is putting independent garages out of business., Tesla has lead the way forward to this along Apple and other big tech companies. Just my thoughts.👍

• Like 1

I had this issue with my Auris TS and to get a quicker appointment I ended up doing a 120 mile round trip to another centre as local one booked solid for several weeks and when I arrived the wrong screen had been supplied. not my best day. The problem is the calibration of the cameras/sensors that are attached to the windscreen has to be done at one of their centres where they have the equipment and trained staff and unfortunately can't be done on the street.

A friend I know did manage to persuade his insurance company to use windscreen from manufacturer as he's very strict that only manufacturers parts are used on his car, not sure if he paid additional fee to cover it.

Another thing I would ensure with repairer is that it is an accoustic windscreen being fitted which is standard on the Corolla. I would think that these large vehicle glass repairers are dealing with the main windscreen manufacturers and that would be the case, but I would still have to ask and confirm.

• Thanks 1

Can go to a centre 120 miles away which would take me an hour each way then leave the car with them for three hours and have to make my own way off the trading estate to find something to do as you can't wait in the centre due to covid.

As its use as a private hire taxi maybe I should threaten them with 3 weeks loss off earning to see if that gets me an earlier appointment at my local autoglass or have repair carried out at my local Toyota garage next week

8 hours ago, Cbatoday said:

Can go to a centre 120 miles away which would take me an hour each way

That would be some average speed !!

• Haha 2