Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Dealers(Stealers) RRG Huddersfield a warning to others

wildtapholer

I bought the wife a 2016 Yaris from a Toyota main dealer thinking that buying from a Toyota main dealer would be trouble free, they don't put anything shoddy on the forecourt. This car hadn't got as far as being put on the internet, so we were sent a personal video of the car being as we were still in lockdown, and if we wanted it, it could be delivered free, car looked great in the video and it was pointed out that a wheel was scuffed and would be refurbished before we got the vehicle and a couple of stone chips on the bonnet would be dealt with. They serviced the car and gave it a inspection complete, when the car was delivered the chips hadn't been done, and considering it had just been serviced they hadn't changed the air filter or the cabin filter, the stone chip on the bonnet, which in my eyes if he hadn't of pointed them out in the first place I would have missed them. Only one key, they said they had a key on order and hoped it would have been there before hand over but would be sent out asap, it had full Toyota history but the service book wasn't with the car, claimed to be sorry it had not been put back in the book pack when they serviced it before delivery, would send out asap with the key, happy days, or so I thought. Car hasn't moved a lot since delivery and was gathering dust so thought I'd give it a proper clean and detail the engine, engine bay done, on to the body work. I can be a bit particular and found a couple of stone chips on the roof what were starting to spider out, no problem I thought, having just bought it from a main stealer, I'm sure they will take care of it as they must have missed them when they gave it the final inspection before delivery. While polishing the car it had a lot of tar spots on the car doors and thought that was a bit unusual being as it had just been valeted but carried on only to start finding some overspray, on finding that I thought I'd better give the car a proper looking at, what do I find, I find that both nearside doors and rear wing had been painted along with the rear bumper, I didn't know Toyota were in the habit of selling damage repairable cars. We bought this car because it was a main Toyota dealer, came with 12mths warranty and they would deliver because we didn't fancy the 90minute to Huddersfield and lets face it, it's a Toyota main dealer not an Arthur Daley back street garage. I was straight on to RRG Huddersfield only to be told the car was 5yrs old and was bound to have a few stone chips and what did I expect, they couldn't be held responsible for any work done to the car by the previous owner, I pointed out that the car was bought from a video and any repair work it had, had done wasn't disclosed, but they claim to know nothing, I also pointed out that had this work been known from the start no potential buyer would have gone near the car and we are not happy. Now bearing in mind this car was delivered to us the salesman came back and told us if we are not happy with the car it is within our rights to reject it and get a refund, right ok we'll have us money back. They now tell us it is up to us to return the car at our cost, I pointed out that the whole point of buying the car from a Toyota main dealer was the 12mths warranty, delivery, and peace of mind buying from a Toyota dealer and not buying a lemon from back street garage, but I now feel the back street garage might have been a better option as I feel let down by Toyota. So the moral of the story is if I keep the car I have to see to the stone chips on the roof as they can't be left and do cut and polish on the rear bumper and a few other bits, if I reject the car for a refund I have to get it back to them and find my own way home as they now won't help, I expected better from a Toyota dealer. Right I've had my whinge now and my stance on main Stealers hasn't changed all dealers are related to Mod edit Turpin, wow I didn't think I was that upset but this has took some typing.

• Like 2

This is virtually unreadable due to the large block of text.

• Thanks 1

As to the cabin filter and air filter Huddersfield Toyota say the air filter and cabin filters only get changed on a full service not on an interim service.

That's correct.

If I were you I would reject the car.  There are enough quality cars out there.  Been there had the T-shirt.

• Like 1

This happends to a lot of people. Thats why i dont buy used cars from Toyota. I only buy used Toyotas from other places and Toyota are always selling used cars double the price they are worth.

If you want to reject it, I think you have a certain amount of time. Don’t know exactly what that time is, but I wouldn’t hang about.

I think the rejecting the car is because of lockdown and distance buying. Someone will be clued up with regulations I am sure.

For distance selling there is a 14 day period within which one may reject a car.

I have been in the same situation, some people in sales will sell their own mother if they could, main dealers are very overpriced

I got absolutely nowhere and ended up sorting the issues myself - what they do is try to upsell you on the alloy repair and pain protection plans, hoping you take them and make a claim

I would do a HPI check and see if anything comes up regarding the damage/paint

33 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

For distance selling there is a 14 day period within which one may reject a car.

Thank you, 14 days was what I had in mind but didn’t want to say so not to mislead if I was wrong.

Absolutely normal buying experience from a main dealer I can say, not only Toyota it anyone. We had very similar issues with Toyota dealer with great reviews for customer service in general. They promised many things to correct prior collection of the car in a week time to find out all they had done was only poor valet, smeared paint work and dirty interior. 
The car needed a new windshield, sun visor, rear discs and pads, front pads, oil and filter service and a new tyre, all as part of the deal, we had received nothing. I phone call to the branch manager sorted out everything, all parts replaced and a new Aygo let for a week . Over £1000 worth repairs, they were hoping to skip, we had the car all done however they skipped the front pads and filters, ok I done these myself., we had also 5 years extended warranty too. The same company different branch had taken good care afterwards dealing with catalytic converter fixing. , overall and good and bad. Forgot to mention the poor body work that I found too. 👍 Never trust any used car dealer, always check your car and remember when buying new you are covered by the manufacturer which make a whole lot of a difference. Dealer approved cars can be biggest rubbish. 

33 minutes ago, flash22 said:

pain protection plans

Now one of those would be nice when buying a car 🙂

Exactly the reason that I stopped buying used vehicles from anyone over 20 years ago. I have also been quite demanding of any main dealer I've ever dealt with and in the case of the last 5 (various) new Toyotas I have purchased, I must have been lucky because the two main dealers involved with those transactions have been excellent, attentive and open to a good deal. Not all main dealers are bad. There is always another side to the story...

4 hours ago, wildtapholer said:

all dealers are related to Mod edit Turpin

I wondered why this was edited but then I remembered about the highway robber, Mr. Richard Turpin 😀

I agree with Colin (CPN), not al main dealers are bad.

We bought the Auris Hybrid almost 4 year ago from the VW main dealer in Macclesfied. As part of the deal, they promised rear discs/pads - done, and two tyres on the rear - done. And the tyres were a good make - Continental. There was something else as well, cant remember, but was done because I had no grumbles throughout our dealing.

My current Prius Gen4 - took a bit of searching for. I was buying "used", I wanted JBL speaker system (meant buying an Excel), Hypersonic Red and non standard but optional 15" wheels (a comfier ride then 17").  Searched weeks, then one popped up in Solihull at the main Toyota dealer. We travelled 100 mile each way to view, test drove, agreed a deal, then the next week we again travelled the 100 mile each way to collect. There was a paint job to do (the dealer flag stand blew into the car), that had to look right, plus the general preparation - all done satisfactorily.

So, 2 main dealers, both performing very well.

• Like 1

My closest dealer is one of the large franchises - parts are fine, sales at 2 branches are dire at best - service dept is a joke franchise wide, they would have had over £100k in sales from referrals but hay hoe

Strangely enough I have never had any problems buying cars from main dealers.

But then I would not buy a car requiring a shedload of rectification as that says it has not been looked after. I don't buy cars that are unloved.

• Like 1

@wildtapholer

"the salesman came back and told us if we are not happy with the car it is within our rights to reject it and get a refund"

If thats what they told you then do not sit around,  take it straight back, preferably with someone with you to witness it and to take photos of the car as you deliver it back to their forecourt to prove its in the original condition and show the problems you found.

It means you will need to get someone to give you a lift back or use the bus, train or taxi,  small price to pay to ensure you get your money back !! 

A usefull link regarding your  car purchase rights.

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/distance-sales-faqs

To Ian (wildtapholer), the original poster.

When did you actually purchase the Vehicle in question?????
I ask because the clock is ticking, the 14 days mentioned in above posts is reducing all the time, if your purchase is within the scope of distance selling you need to be active or the provision may well have ended.

On 4/23/2021 at 3:33 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

This is virtually unreadable due to the large block of text.

Same here. I used text to speech reader to get the point.

4 hours ago, Tigit said:

Same here. I used text to speech reader to get the point.

I never read anything  illegible.

My eyesight is poor (varifocals), I am elderly and grumpy, and it hurts.

Thanks for all the reply's, because the car had, had so much paint I had to assume it had been in a collision, it might just have been key'd or vandalized but I would have liked to have known. Perhaps dealers think everyone goes to a car wash, if you wash and polish a car yourself you pick up on different qualities of the paint gloss or what the paint sounds like when you run your hand over it. Only reason I bought from a Toyota dealer was the 12mths warranty and full Toyota history, I did reject the car initially, but they refuse to come and collect the car, but the deal clincher, was delivery in the first place. I can find no evidence of damage, just the paint work, I have just spent 2 days, doing a cut and polish of the paintwork and left only 2 places, not visible with doors closed and I would challenge anyone to spot it now, the reason for that was if Toyota turn up and ask me to show them evidence of a repair.  I've had the door panels off checking behind, a lot use tiger seal on panels when putting back on but no, as you might have gathered we are keeping the car now, I've also been under the car and it is spot less, didn't come from anywhere near the coast, LOL I better leave it at that for before it takes a lot of reading again.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:44 PM, wildtapholer said:

As to the cabin filter and air filter Huddersfield Toyota say the air filter and cabin filters only get changed on a full service not on an interim service.

I did understand about the interim service Frosty but the car had not been serviced in 2020 with being inlock down but the car had still been used, so it looked like it had missed a year so I thought they would have at least changed them, instead of being tight fisted.