Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Amazon basic engine oil for Avensis T27 Diesel.

andrewysk

TOYOTA Avensis III Kombi (T27) ADT27 2.0 D-4D

I have always used Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 C2 for my car.

I just heard that AmazonBasics sells engine oil at cheaper price with higher standard.

Anybody have tried AmazonBasics engine oil on avensis diesel ? Which type of oil is suitable ?

Thanks
Andrew
Germany

Moved to the Avensis club.

As long as it is API SL, SM or SN and meets C2 low ash requirements it should be OK. Manufactured by Warren Distribution Incorp. 

See 

Asda are selling Carlube fully synthetic 5W30 C2 oil for £17/4Lts just now.

This is the specification.

You won't get a better price than that.

1 minute ago, Stivino said:

Asda are selling Carlube fully synthetic 5W30 C2 oil for £17/4Lts just now.

This is the specification.

You won't get a better price than that.

I am in Germany.. no Asda here.

2 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Norfolk Germany?

Haha, oh, that was my old address. Moved to Germany since.

Profile changed.

49 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Moved to the Avensis club.

As long as it is API SL, SM or SN and meets C2 low ash requirements it should be OK. Manufactured by Warren Distribution Incorp. 

See 

moved 

ACEA, C3 was noticed stated on the bottle.

I knew only C2 is low carbon oil that won't block DPF.

Not know what is C3 yet.

Not know also what is API SL, SM or SN represented in Germany

Need to do some reading. Further more, i have not realized that gasoline and diesel engine uses same motor oil.. This AmazonBasics engine oil stated the same oil for gasoline and diesel engine.

API stands for American Petroleum Institute, is an international standard, and will be applicable in Germany. ACEA C2 and C3 are two specs for low ash oil - needed for vehicles with a diesel particulate filter (DPF).

There are three types of Amazon Basics 5W-30 motor oil manufactured to meet the specs of three car makers - Typ V for VW/Audi and Typ GMBM for Vauxhall/Opel (both of which are C3 low ash), and TypF for Ford which is neither C2 or C3, and won't be suitable for DPF fitted  cars.

The TypV and Typ GMBM are both API SL - meeting the lower of the three API standards Toyota recommends.

43 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The TypV and Typ GMBM are both API SL - meeting the lower of the three API standards Toyota recommends.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

With the statement as quoted above, were you meant that I can use both TypV and typ GMBM for Toyota avensis Diesel ?  I don't understand "meeting the LOWER of the three API standard toyota recommended", is that good ? or it is at the borderline of no good ?

What is the factor(s) that will determine from using one or the other (among TypV and Typ GMBM) ?

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

What oil do you use for your toyota? I wanted a good synthetic oil for my car, hence i was using Castrol magnatec.. When i came across this youtuber "project farm", he did test on amazonbasics oil and concluded that it is far better than other good brand oil, so with scotty kilmer (another youtuber mechanic).. 

Hence , if it is better or same good, why should i pay more on marketting brand ? right ?

Also i can't find "fully synthetic"  on the label of amazonbasics oil

API improve specs every few years and the most recent spec is API SP. Toyota recommend either SL, SM, or SN, and SP will also be OK. SL although the older of the recommended specs, is fine for your car. 

Some car manufacturers develop their own requirements for engine oil in addition to the API and ACEA specs (eg VAG, PSA (now Stellantis), Volvo, Ford, Vauxhall/Opel, etc), but oils which meet these manufacturer specs, also state which API/ACEA specs the oil meets. 

My cars get whatever brand the dealer uses, but I always have the manufacturer recommended grade for my cars - 0W-20 for the Aygo (and for my previous two Auris) and 0W-30 for the i20. The Hyundai dealer uses Shell Ultra.

Brand of oil is your choice and as long as it meets the requirements for your car that's fine. 

12 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota recommend either SL, SM, or SN, and SP will also be OK. SL although the older of the recommended specs, is fine for your car. 

Brand of oil is your choice and as long as it meets the requirements for your car that's fine. 

AmazonBasics didn't mention synthetic on it bottle.. does that means it is not ?  hence... do you recommend of using it ?  I was using full synthetic engine oil all the time.

I use any brand of oil that meets the specification required for my car.

I've got two of these in my shed for my next oil change.

I didn't get it in The Range, though.  I got it in Asda for £17/4Lt.

14 minutes ago, Stivino said:

I use any brand of oil that meets the specification required for my car.

I've got two of these in my shed for my next oil change.

I didn't get it in The Range, though.  I got it in Asda for £17/4Lt.

Will you recommend non synthetic motor oil as amazonbasics ?

Either synthetic or non/semi synthetic - Toyota doesn't specify one or the other - the choice is yours.

Ok. Thanks you guys.