Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bought new tires, but the store said 45 profile wont fit

Ray87

Hi!

Today i got a set of 4 new tires to my Toyota Avensis 2012 executive with 17" original Toyota rims.

Wanted to buy a set of vredestein with 225/45/17 and after i ordered it one of the mechanic said to the guy behind the store that they didnt fit my wheel. 

So i ended up with buying another Brand with 225/50/17 instead.

Now i want to ask why could not this tire fit to the original Toyota rims?

The old tires was 215/55/17

Cant understand they could not get a 45 profile tire to fit?

They ment that it would track and be very bad to drive, and the tire was too small for the rim. 
For me it sound very strange since i am used to have cars with that profile, but never have i owned a Toyota Original rim before i got this avensis. 
Tomorrow morning i can upload a pics of the rims if that help.

Would be happy for some answers. 

On 4/25/2021 at 9:20 AM, Ray87 said:

Hi!

Today i got a set of 4 new tires to my Toyota Avensis 2012 executive with 17" original Toyota rims.

Wanted to buy a set of vredestein with 225/45/17 and after i ordered it one of the mechanic said to the guy behind the store that they didnt fit my wheel. 

They ment that it would track and be very bad to drive, and the tire was too small for the rim. 
For me it sound very strange since i am used to have cars with that profile, but never have i owned a Toyota Original rim before i got this avensis. 

225/45R17 would be 4.9% smaller in diameter than 215/55R17, which may not be legal.

225/50R17 is much closer in diameter, but still 1.5% smaller than the factory size.

• Like 1

Both the proposed new tyres and the new tyres would result in the speedo under reading - showing less than the true speed - which, depending which country you are in, may be illegal.

On 4/24/2021 at 10:20 PM, Ray87 said:

Hi!

You need the tyres as stated in your Handbook, not the tyres you think you want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, john p williams said:

You need the tyres as stated in your Handbook, not the tyres you think you want.

Exactly, or change of the wheels to accommodate the new tyre sizes and all that needs to be within car spec. 

• Like 1

Standard 17" fitment for the 2012 Avensis is 215/55/17

Physically fitting a 45 profile on a 17" is a pita, plus unless you have smooth roads it will compromise the ride quality