Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low key battery warning. Key don't work ?

HSDish

I changed key Battery (at Toyota) i both our keys to our Prius PHV 2018 last week but today I get a "low key battery" warning with both key and none of the keys works properly.

Any ideas of whats wrong ?

Did you use cheap batteries ? Were they in date ? Make sure you use decent branded batteries eg. Duracell or Energizer

with a low Battery in the fob you can start the car by placing the fob on the start button and then press the start button

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

Did you use cheap batteries ? Were they in date ? Make sure you use decent branded batteries eg. Duracell or Energizer

with a low battery in the fob you can start the car by placing the fob on the start button and then press the start button

I had the batteries changed by my local Toyota dealer so I took for granted that it was proper batteries

It has been known for dealers to have batteries on the shelf for a long while, they are very easy to change, it's in your owners manual or there are videos on YouTube

It depends on the dealer to where they purchase their stock from - usually they are generic blister packs

• Thanks 1

Maybe they older stock due to lack of customers these last 12 months of lockdown.  Guessing really but possibly. In any case - take them back to your dealer.

As Flash22 said, use quality batteries, I find Panasonic are not so good, even though the name is big.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to both flash22 and Catlover.

My local Toyota dealer are at lunch now but I'll try to contact then in about half an hour.

I thought there maybe could be something wron with the key "receiver" in the car

There are few types of the coin/button cells (Battery chemistry) the cheaper ones tend to be Alkali or Nickel Metal the better ones are Lithium also be aware there are batteries that are sold for low power devices

• Thanks 1

I was at my local Toyotadealer this morning and they replaced the batteries for free .They said it might been bad batteries from their shelf and apologised. Their helpful serviceman even checked the set up for keyless in the car and it looked good.

Works fine so far.

• Like 3

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the follow-up

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It is true that you should not use cheap batteries, you should buy genuine batteries to use, the average life is two years to change once.

venge io

That’s right, fresh quality batteries are the best choice. I have my spare key fob in place and Battery always dies for a year or so while the one that I use every day lasts longer, two years let say. Now I have a spare Battery kept in packaging next to the spare remote and when if needed I will install the spare Battery prior to use it, one more spare battery in glove box for an emergencies 👍🔋