Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Foggy Headlights

TescoExpress

Hi everyone,

I have noticed an issue with my headlights which is getting slightly worse over the period of time and I’m not sure how to fix it. I have heard about using toothpaste and a toothbrush but this hasnt worked on my previous cars.

Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it please ?

many thanks 

6C2F59FE-7D09-4ABF-BA08-4C4F318BE233.jpeg

4865CA01-3B03-4970-9EA9-3F3657960F3B.jpeg

F77F9D1D-AC20-4CE8-B95D-98086477BD94.jpeg

The lights don't look yellowed or oxidised, so don't need restoring. Looks like  some sort of film on the outside.  

I have had a similar effect occurring on my 2014 Aygo. I think it is on the inside of the headlight, but in order to investigate further would involve removal of the headlight which requires removing the front bumper. So far it isn’t bad enough to warrant the hassle but would be interested to know if any “quick fixes” are available! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

looks like condensation to me?

Deffo not condensation! Can feel it slightly on the outside of the headlight.

Rather than using toothpaste or a renovation kit which will abrade the surface, I'd be inclined to lightly use a good quality car polish, which will be less abrasive than toothpaste, etc, to try to remove whatever film is on the lights. Could also try WD40 before the polish to see whether that works.

• Like 1

Hi, yes that is oxidation. Best to buy and use lights restoration kit, you need to use sandpaper 800 1200 1500 all wet, then cutting compound 3M or something, than car wax hand polish to finish and seal the surface. The kits usually content all necessary things. You tube videos to familiarise yourself with the process and some time, could be an hour per light. 👍 My one were similar and job done last lockdown but may need another go soon. If you zoom in you can see some scratches and cracks left, may need respray with clear coat or special sealant. 

086ABB06-9860-45DA-AD71-5DB74A46484B.jpeg

BFA09D0F-A98A-43A8-8770-4B263DC525C3.jpeg

• Like 1