Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reverse camera wiring

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi, purchased a reverse camera via Amazon, just a basic one with a camera that sits on the rear number plate and a small screen thats placed on my dash.

A. Can anybody tell the colour of wires ill need to tap in to, unsure which ones I'll need as yet, assume positive and the reverse wire

B. The actual screen plugs into the cigarette lighter, dont really like the look of that, is there another way of wiring it up so there aren't any trailing wires etc?

Anybody? I'm useless at wiring diagrams, my Haynes manual means nothing to me, apologies 

Post the manual you have. Some might be able to read it for you.

Ok I will try with one caveat in mind and that is the negative ground switching for lights in UK supplied Aygo that you encountered earlier. I am hoping that the rear backup lights are not negative wire switched. Yes I have wired a reversing camera to my daughter's Hyundai accent with a Sony after market stereo screen. What is your after market screen? Is it integrated with the stereo or is it a separate small screen that comes with the after market camera (easier)? Is the camera connected to the screen by wire or is it wireless?

First the connections. You need the rear backup light positive wire which will be both the trigger to set the camera on and supply power to it. First locate the light (put your car in reverse and see which light lights up). The red wire going in to that light is the positive wire as I remember from my back up sensor DIY on Aygo. If your wiring harness allows you to carry the same positive feed to the screen too then the problem is solved or else you will have to find another power supply to the screen. Do you have a wiring diagram for the camera and screen from the manufacturer? That other power source can be a cigarette socket in the dash or a add on fuse at the fuse box in the car to your back up camera screen. Secondly, you need to mount the camera. What kind is it. Can it be mounted on the number plate or does it need a hole in the caross etc? Finally you need to drag the wire from back to the front of the car where the screen is mounted (if not wireless). Need more in formation. Can you link your purchase so that we can read the wiring diagram in its info page.

45 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Can it be mounted on the number plate or does it need a hole in the caross etc?

"Caross" = car body, no? As in carrosserie.  :-)

Here are some links to videos for you that may be of help. The identification of reverse light wire and the accessory power supply for the front screen through the fuse box in the dash using a fuse tap or a piggy back fuse. Finally an overview of rear reversing camera types and connections to be made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r45aVGDTWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDjZNUvErgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGzN1RHRlP0

5 minutes ago, Gerg said:

"Caross" = car body, no? As in carrosserie.  :-)

Thanks. I meant car body.

FYI - the reverse light is conventionally wired the other lighting is neutral switched

Reverse 12+ is Red

1905934309_aygobackupcircuitupto14.thumb.jpg.fa72c6557c47de10c6b3c392365f5d6b.jpg

On 4/30/2021 at 7:07 AM, rajivrattna said:

Ok I will try with one caveat in mind and that is the negative ground switching for lights in UK supplied Aygo that you encountered earlier. I am hoping that the rear backup lights are not negative wire switched. Yes I have wired a reversing camera to my daughter's Hyundai accent with a Sony after market stereo screen. What is your after market screen? Is it integrated with the stereo or is it a separate small screen that comes with the after market camera (easier)? Is the camera connected to the screen by wire or is it wireless?

First the connections. You need the rear backup light positive wire which will be both the trigger to set the camera on and supply power to it. First locate the light (put your car in reverse and see which light lights up). The red wire going in to that light is the positive wire as I remember from my back up sensor DIY on Aygo. If your wiring harness allows you to carry the same positive feed to the screen too then the problem is solved or else you will have to find another power supply to the screen. Do you have a wiring diagram for the camera and screen from the manufacturer? That other power source can be a cigarette socket in the dash or a add on fuse at the fuse box in the car to your back up camera screen. Secondly, you need to mount the camera. What kind is it. Can it be mounted on the number plate or does it need a hole in the caross etc? Finally you need to drag the wire from back to the front of the car where the screen is mounted (if not wireless). Need more in formation. Can you link your purchase so that we can read the wiring diagram in its info page.

All sorted guys and thank you all for your inputs.

It was a simple process. Purchased the unit on Amazon. Didn't want to spend too much. Yes its a small car but I always wanted one for added reassurance really.

Will add a pic later today

6 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

I always wanted one for added reassurance really.

Will add a pic later today

Great. We are waiting eagerly for the photos. Yes it is always reassuring to have a back up camera. It is like having a second opinion before you start reversing. The down side is that once you have camera in your car, you feel rather insecure on any other car that does not have one.

18 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

Great. We are waiting eagerly for the photos. Yes it is always reassuring to have a back up camera. It is like having a second opinion before you start reversing. The down side is that once you have camera in your car, you feel rather insecure on any other car that does not have one.

Hi

I totally agree re the insecure comment. I now wonder how I lived without a camera. Its an amazing feature or bit of kit to have. I agree also that it does make one lazy.

20210503_054204.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links