Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid Cruise Control

Hadrian1

I'm starting to get the hang of the various functions on our new Yaris.

The Cruise control took a bit of getting used to, especially as I didn't realize the switch was of the two-way rocker type.

The one with the speed limiter is a little different, and useful (for instance) where there are road works with multiple cameras.

I was trying to explain how it works to a friend, and he said it's something he would never use as it's downright dangerous.

I can't say that I agree. If it were, it wouldn't be fitted. Thought's anyone  ?

We have had cruise control/speed limiter on our last two i20's and speed limiter on our Aygo. We find cruise really useful on motorway journeys (especially on our annual trips to Skye - journey of 520+ miles), and, the speed limiter when travelling through average speed cameras/road works. 

Can take a bit of getting used to initially, but perfectly safe.

I almost always use the cruise control on motorway jouneys. I think it's safer that not using it. I drove tired the other day and it jolted me awake my slowing down a couple of times when i got too close to the vehicle in front.

• Like 1

Our last several cars since a previous 09 (I think) Yaris (Mini, Smart, Jeep, Hyundai) have had cruise control/speed limiter. Recently got an 18 plate Yaris with CC, but absolutely amazed and disappointed that it doesn't have the limiter function. 😠

It also doesn't display what CC speed is set, so 'Set' is a stab in the murk and 'Resume' a gamble.

I never even thought about it until after I collected it and found out. I don't know if it would have been a deal-breaker if I'd realised sooner, but it's amazing how a simple thing like that can take the shine off a car.

By-the-by, of all those cars the Mini had the most outstanding interface for, and operation of, the CC/Limit. Really intuitive and easy to use without having to think much, and accurate in operation. Jeep and Smart were/are terrible, Hyundai ... meh.

51 minutes ago, Mikw said:

I almost always use the cruise control on motorway jouneys. I think it's safer that not using it. I drove tired the other day and it jolted me awake my slowing down a couple of times when i got too close to the vehicle in front.

Remind me never to drive around Leicestshire, if there's folk like you that need jolting awake!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Remind me never to drive around Leicestshire, if there's folk like you that need jolting awake!!!!

Maybe i shouldn't have said that on an internet forum!

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

HELP help please for fruitcake sake

I this years Yaris cross and I just cannot understand how to operate cruise control with the steering wheel controls.

Please it is driving, no pun intended, CRAZY.

On the right side of steering wheel there's a two way button with an odometer icon and a lever with RES/SET.   Push it up and you should see a message on center display indicating that cruise control / radar is ready.  Reach the speed you want to mantain and push the lever down ( SET ).  The CC is engaged.  You can fine tune the speed with RES ( increment speed ) an SET ( decrement speed ).  

If you push brake pedal CC disengages and you can engage it back pushing once RES.  

It's in the manual - https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/manuals

But briefly, as Ricky says, press the button that has a car with a dial under it to 'arm' the system, then get to the speed you want to and then pull down on the +Res/-Set switch, and it'll lock the car to that speed in radar-guided mode.

You can also pester your salesperson for proper instruction :angel_not: since this is the sort of thing they should show you during test-drive and handover (But very few do!)

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

this is the sort of thing they should show you during test-drive and handover (But very few do!)

They don't and also they may disable beep alerts from the other safety features when they let you go out for a test drive. For any prospective buyers, it may be worth specifically asking for these to be demo'd in case it's a dealbreaker for him indoors.

• Like 1