Do Not Sell My Personal Information

catloc

Gus Garside

I recently had some work done on my 2017 Toyota Yaris at the Toyota Yeomans Showroom in  Worthing. When it was done it was suggested that I buy a catloc to prevent theft and that it would cost £240. I then contacted the Toyota Yeomans showroom in Telscombe Cliffs as that is nearer. Thye said that there isn't a catloc for a Yaris.

Who is right?

Having looked at a picture of the catloc I wonder whether it would just take a an extra 2x10 seconds to cut off the whole lot with a disc cutter?

As previously discussed the Yaris isn't much of a target as the main cat is up out of the way, perhaps the dealer mixed up your Yaris with an Auris

• Like 1

posted on the toyota blog a few days ago - 2012-2020 hybrids are the same mechanical layout

Hi, is a 2013 Yaris hybrid high risk? You say older cars but don’t give dates. Also, for anyone reading this who wants extra deterrents, I’ve bought a car tilt lock (they’re sold on Amazon and eBay, maybe also Halfords) that sounds an alarm if the vehicle is lifter or vibrates. Might help.

1. d1fd398a12ae6efdb9c85cfb709eb7a2.jpg ToyotaUK says:

Hi Mez,
    Thank you for getting in touch with us.
    In terms of our vehicles, second and third-generation Prius models (2004-2009 and 2009-2016 respectively) and second-generation Auris Hybrids (2012-2018) have been particular targets for thieves.
    Your vehicle is considered to be lower risk, but any vehicle containing a catalytic converter is in theory at risk of theft. Whilst there is no official Toyota CatLoc available, an ISR marking kit is offered.
    This can be ordered through your nearest Toyota Centre.
    Thanks.

8 hours ago, Gus Garside said:

I recently had some work done on my 2017 Toyota Yaris at the Toyota Yeomans Showroom in  Worthing. When it was done it was suggested that I buy a catloc to prevent theft and that it would cost £240. I then contacted the Toyota Yeomans showroom in Telscombe Cliffs as that is nearer. Thye said that there isn't a catloc for a Yaris.

Who is right?

Yeoman Worthing would be correct.

Toyota currently have Catloc available for :

Mk1 & Mk2 Auris hybrid

Mk2 , 3 & 4 Prius

Prius +

Mk3 & Mk4 Prius Plugin

Mk7 & Mk8 Hilux

Mk2 Proace

C-HR 1.8 hybrid

New Corolla 1.8 hybrid

Mk3 Yaris Hybrid

A direct quote from Toyota UK

"Whilst there is no official Toyota CatLoc available, an ISR marking kit is offered."

so it must just be the marking kit then

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

A direct quote from Toyota UK

"Whilst there is no official Toyota CatLoc available, an ISR marking kit is offered."

so it must just be the marking kit then

As per my Post above latest numbers available to dealers include MK3 Yaris 2013-2019 which is what the OP has

• 2 years later...

CATLOC lock for the MK3 Yaris Hybrid does exist. I got one from Toyota Hedge End and fitted it in June 2023. 

Yaris doesn't seem to be as targeted as other Toyota/Lexus cars. That's because the catalytic convertor is not as accessible as others. 

Here is one that I got from the dealer and fitted myself. It was £200, and it would have been another £40 for its installation. The nuts break once you fully tighten them, leaving you with a weird round nut you cannot get a grip on.  In that picture, I only mounted it to make sure everything was fine before breaking them off. 

I preferred to do it myself as I needed to do some extra work under the car. (it was all done at once) 

As for safety, I had 2 jack stands and used a 3t hydraulic jack as a back; hence, you see it in the picture. I don't want to be crushed while working under a car, hence the extra steps. 

IMG_20230617_133906.jpg

• Like 1

Save yourself a lot of money  do it yourself  😉

10 Ways to Deter & Prevent Catalytic Converter Theftimage.jpeg.c124171edf75b4b0d2700083a2708fba.jpegimage.jpeg.b7e4985d3b39cab9f8a2fc038b991fed.jpegHomemade Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device | Toyota Tundra Forum

• Like 1

Not required for the MK3, had the car myself for 5 years.

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

Save yourself a lot of money  do it yourself  😉

10 Ways to Deter & Prevent Catalytic Converter Theftimage.jpeg.c124171edf75b4b0d2700083a2708fba.jpegimage.jpeg.b7e4985d3b39cab9f8a2fc038b991fed.jpegHomemade Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device | Toyota Tundra Forum

If they are under the car with a cutter to slice the exhaust pipe, those DIY bodges will slow them down by a few seconds. The catloc stuff is much harder to cut through.

26 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Not required for the MK3, had the car myself for 5 years.

The MK3 hybrid doesn't need them, but some other variants might.

51 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

If they are under the car with a cutter to slice the exhaust pipe, those DIY bodges will slow them down by a few seconds. The catloc stuff is much harder to cut through.

It was a joke  😉

Having said that any obstacle you can put in a thiefs way is going to make them move onto the next car so the botch up job may save the day.

But... the catalytic converter is attached to the exhaust manifold in the Mk3 Yaris, well up in the engine bay, so what exactly is that covering? :confused1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

But... the catalytic converter is attached to the exhaust manifold in the Mk3 Yaris, well up in the engine bay, so what exactly is that covering? :confused1:

The exhaust 😄

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Having said that any obstacle you can put in a thiefs way is going to make them move onto the next car so the botch up job may save the day.

If they've already wormed their way under the car before being faced with a bit of wire mesh or a few bits of small rebar I suspect they won't be moving on without their target. It's not something clearly visible like an aftermarket steering lock or wheel clamp.

• Like 1

This can be pretty visible... :whistling1:

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, MikeSh said:

being faced with a bit of wire mesh or a few bits of small rebar I suspect they won't be moving

Have you ever cut rebar with an angle grinder I have seen firework displays throw out less sparks. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Have you ever cut rebar with an angle grinder I have seen firework displays throw out less sparks. 

Yes, sparks kind of go with grinding metal. Heavy rebar would take a little longer, but that stuff would be a few seconds per bar. In fact putting the blade through the bodywork at 45° each side of the 'feet' might be even easier.

It's also a harmful mod to the car and will make work on the exhaust difficult, but I'm guessing it's an old one where the cat is probably most of the value anyway.

2 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Yes, sparks kind of go with grinding metal. Heavy rebar would take a little longer, but that stuff would be a few seconds per bar.

Thieves dont generally want to spend longer than is necessary to rob something so as this is going to create a lot of noise and sparks they would just move on to the next car which hasn't got the deterrent,  like i said earlier!

• Like 2

Round here they do give a quick look under the car before having a go at it. It seems they've had some sort of briefing what to go after, as I know one person who replaced their exhaust with a sports cat after it got nicked, and despite no catlock he hasn't had it nicked again (Yet, anyway! :fear: )

• Like 1