Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Noise During Acceleration

CLIVE4004

I changed my 6 year old one owner Aygo last November for a new Aygo X-Clusiv. I'm a big fan of the model and very pleased with the new car in almost every respect apart from one. When the engine has warmed up, and not before, I get a sort of rasping sound under load. I don't think it's from the engine and feel it's more power train associated. As my previous Aygo was 2014 I hope that some modification has taken place to alter the engine noise and that my concerns are unfounded.

I haven't contacted Toyota yet as it's only a mechanical noise and may be normal with newer models. Can anyone advise me please?

I had an aygo as a courtesy car while my auris was in for service a couple of years ago.

was shocked at how noisy the engine was under acceleration( as motoring journalists ) have said was ok once up to cruising speed on the motorway, maybe normal.

The Aygo is a 3 cylinder engine which makes a really nice throaty sound, yes, different to a 4 cylinder engine you may be used to. It’s a characteristic of the engine.

do you think it could be that noise.

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses guys. I wouldn't be concerned had my previous Aygo, an early 2nd generation one, made the same noise but I had it for 6 years and was never aware of the noise that this one makes. Perhaps the noise baffling was more efficient on my last one. Because of lockdown restrictions I have only done 1700 miles in this one and I have faith in Toyota for reliability and precision. I'll plod on and get used to it. I think the theory of a 3 cylinder engine is a great idea with bigger pistons, tougher conrods and bearings etc.

In October last year I swapped my 2008 model for a new 2020 model, I too noticed the very different engine noise.

Then I looked under the bonnet and saw a completely different inlet manifold and on doing some research found that the new models have a different variant of the 1KR-FE engine that has many differences:

- longer inlet tract that enhances torque

- 2 injectors per cylinder

- variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust valves

- heated EGR system

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/19-10-20_faq_kr-engine_eng.htm - look at the type '18 details.

When you take all of those into account it's really not surprising that the engine sounds completely different. I actually prefer the gruffer engine note under acceleration as IMHO it gives it more 'character'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

In October last year I swapped my 2008 model for a new 2020 model, I too noticed the very different engine noise.

Then I looked under the bonnet and saw a completely different inlet manifold and on doing some research found that the new models have a different variant of the 1KR-FE engine that has many differences:

- longer inlet tract that enhances torque

- 2 injectors per cylinder

- variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust valves

- heated EGR system

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/19-10-20_faq_kr-engine_eng.htm - look at the type '18 details.

When you take all of those into account it's really not surprising that the engine sounds completely different. I actually prefer the gruffer engine note under acceleration as IMHO it gives it more 'character'.

Dave

Thank you for this most comprehensive response. Clearly it has given me all the assurances I need. The amount of data via the link is incredible. At the risk of sounding crass, engineering has come a long way since my first BMC "A" Series.

Clive

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links