Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris hybrid sensible buy?

Willss

Have seen an Auris 1.8 hybrid on an 18 plate which I'm tempted to go and look at/drive.  Low mileage, great condition (apparently!), full main dealer history, seems ideal.  Was priced too high and has sat on the forecourt for ages (I'd guess best part of 6 months) now reduced heavily to what I consider a bargain price.  However...... with it having sat that long other than the usual potential brake issues will it have damaged the hybrid battery (I'm assuming they'll have to charge it before I get there in order to start it)!  Essentially should I run a mile or go and look at it?

Hi, yes nothing wrong been of the road for that long although the 12v Battery might have died and it’s good point to mention while checking the car. If it’s on a bargain price I will consider it definitely. Cat lock is also another thing to check and ask eventually to be fitted as precaution against catalytic converter theft. 
Good luck 

• Like 2

Note for you: the hybrid Battery is the large Battery with difficult access nearly under the back seat. I suggest that will not be flat. The 12v Battery is the one that “starts” the car. Toyota hybrids do not have a starter motor like your Avensis has, so the 12v battery does not be as powerful or as large as your a Avensis. However, with the car having not been used for so long it would be in your interest to raise concern and see if a new one can be fitted, or some warranty given on the existing.

The brakes to be more concerned with are the rear ones. Again, on Toyota hybrid cars the rear brakes get little use, so again, having been stood may be an issue. Again, raise the issue with them, it will show you have knowledge.  Is the car due an MOT, if so that may put aside concerns of the rear brakes, or indeed brakes in general.

• Like 3

Thank you both for comments.  I'd read previously about one of the 2 batteries getting knackered by sitting unused for an extended period.  The 12V one doesn't worry me hugely but the hybrid one obviously would be an issue if it was that one.

Car will apparently have 12 months MOT and a service (non Toyota but reputable main dealer of another brand). Been reading a lot about catalytic converters last couple of days so aware of the issues there, thanks for flagging.

Thanks again, I'll go and give it a drive......  if they can start it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An estate Auris TS I presume to replace your avensis? I'm pleased with mine. 2015 pre facelift Auris Hybrid. 0 road tax atm as Pre April 2017. Mine is Island Blue and looks good. Icon Plus trim so ok spec but not top Excel trim. Good to drive, good on fuel and cheap to run. Can get them for 9k onwards. Corolla Hybrid from 17k used on 19 plate.

James.👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Auris James said:

An estate Auris TS I presume to replace your avensis? I'm pleased with mine. 2015 pre facelift Auris Hybrid. 0 road tax atm as Pre April 2017. Mine is Island Blue and looks good. Icon Plus trim so ok spec but not top Excel trim. Good to drive, good on fuel and cheap to run. Can get them for 9k onwards. Corolla Hybrid from 17k used on 19 plate.

James.👍

Thanks.  Actually keeping the Avensis, bit bigger and a lot more comfortable (but not as economical).  Currently have a 2014 1.6 petrol Icon auris tourer as well which we'd be swapping to a 18/68/19 plate hybrid hatchback.  Owned the 1.6 from new and it has been great.  42-45mpg usually and up to 51mpg (brim to brim) on a decent motorway run at 65mph ish.  Never a foot wrong but needs front and rear brakes, extended warranty about to expire, noise from exhaust, service due etc etc so now seems a good time to replace if I'm going to (may not though haven't decided as I do like it)! 

Contemplated a Corolla hybrid tourer as there are some bargain pre reg ones out there atm (21 plate Icon Tech tourer with metallic paint and only delivery miles for £20k) but couldn't get comfortable in it however much I played with the seat.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willss said:

Thanks.  Actually keeping the Avensis, bit bigger and a lot more comfortable (but not as economical).  Currently have a 2014 1.6 petrol Icon auris tourer as well which we'd be swapping to a 18/68/19 plate hybrid hatchback.  Owned the 1.6 from new and it has been great.  42-45mpg usually and up to 51mpg (brim to brim) on a decent motorway run at 65mph ish.  Never a foot wrong but needs front and rear brakes, extended warranty about to expire, noise from exhaust, service due etc etc so now seems a good time to replace if I'm going to (may not though haven't decided as I do like it)! 

Contemplated a Corolla hybrid tourer as there are some bargain pre reg ones out there atm (21 plate Icon Tech tourer with metallic paint and only delivery miles for £20k) but couldn't get comfortable in it however much I played with the seat.   

A good price for a new corolla. Icon Tech all you need. Not sat in one yet. You do need to be comfortable though. The trek one is growing on me. Seats look better.

Took me a while to find the best seat position on my Auris to get it comfortable. I have a 1996 Volvo 940 petrol estate for work and replaced the half grey leather  seats with used full grey leather seats and that's very comfortable. The original drivers seat was a bit worn at 200,000miles! 

Hope you find something comfy!

James.

Leather seats..JPG

Volvo 1.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 9:35 PM, Catlover said:

Again, on Toyota hybrid cars the rear brakes get little use, so again, having been stood may be an issue

I would agree. During lockdown my Auris Design estate has done much less mileage and the rear discs are pitting because I brake quite gently for the sake of my passenger(s) which means - as Catlover says, the discs are hardly ever in use. It also makes the discs noisy when you do use them.  I was tempted to take it out alone and give the discs a hard time to clean them off but I'm PXing for a CRH later this week so I'll leave it to someone else. But don't ignore it, replacement discs are expensive. 

The problem with Toyota hybrids rear discs is because the slider pins get rust and stuck, since then the brakes although still works the outer pads are unable to clamp the disc therefore the disc will never get cleaned even you slam on the brakes every time you are slowing down. My advice is to take everything apart, clean , lube and put back together, drive as normal and after 60 miles or so your brake discs will look like new and your brakes will work much better. I do that procedure on all 4 Wheels twice a year, spring and autumn. , and if I had done so since the beginning of my ownership I may never needed to change brakes, I done so twice because of the rusty parts. 👍

5EF9F050-34A5-4D3E-A129-B3629D2EC39D.jpeg

608E9F2F-2C63-4251-898F-C01BAEC3B44D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In answer to your topic title: Auris hybrid sensible buy?

It’s a YES from me!

I bought mine less than 3 months ago. Delighted with it so far…

73D75BB1-5579-4823-953E-7BD328C544FF.jpeg

• Like 2

WillSS - did you but the 2018 Auris you were looking into?