Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisy tires, how to sound isolate Corolla TS?

nielshm

I think I remember someone on this forum saying that installing mud flaps (a.k.a. mud guards) also helped reduce noise. Is that true? My dealer offers to install 4 guards for 194€. 

9 minutes ago, Sam Ekkert said:

I think I remember someone on this forum saying that installing mud flaps (a.k.a. mud guards) also helped reduce noise. Is that true? My dealer offers to install 4 guards for 194€. 

Oohs, €194 for a set of mudguards it’s a bit on the step side imo, not sure if this reduces the noise levels , perhaps might create tiny bit of extra drag, loss of 0.5mpg 😂👍

• Haha 1

Yeah, perhaps I'm getting too obsessed with this thing 😄 Although, cleaner doors wouldn't hurt. And maybe, just maybe, mudguards would also decrease the amount of dirt that accumulates on the tailgate and the camera.

11 minutes ago, Sam Ekkert said:

Yeah, perhaps I'm getting too obsessed with this thing 😄 Although, cleaner doors wouldn't hurt. And maybe, just maybe, mudguards would also decrease the amount of dirt that accumulates on the tailgate and the camera.

I have them .. sadly they don't 😞

1 hour ago, 50p said:

I have them .. sadly they don't 😞

On the doors at least ? 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

On the doors at least ? 

yes, the front mud flaps do that but the rears don't help the tailgate or camera.

They do look nice though! 😁

• Like 1

Next week I'm getting new GoodYear Efficient Grip Performance 2. I really hope and believe that they will make driving noise free and relaxing. 

My factory fitted Continental could easily last another season, but stiff rubber just makes a crazy noise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nielshm said:

Next week I'm getting new GoodYear Efficient Grip Performance 2. I really hope and believe that they will make driving noise free and relaxing. 

My factory fitted Continental could easily last another season, but stiff rubber just makes a crazy noise. 

What size will be the Goodyear? I have them on 205/55 16 and they are superb touring tyres , although my winter ones on some road surfaces are quieter. The egp 2 have a tons of grip in all conditions, (except ❄️🥶🧊)  they are as good as uhp but has a soft side walls for improved  comfort and noise reduction. 

36 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

What size will be the Goodyear? I have them on 205/55 16 and they are superb touring tyres , although my winter ones on some road surfaces are quieter. The egp 2 have a tons of grip in all conditions, (except ❄️🥶🧊)  they are as good as uhp but has a soft side walls for improved  comfort and noise reduction. 

Same size, it really looks like the best choice. Thanks for sharing. 

And pretty cheap compored to Michelin and Continental

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Tony, did your car originally have 17”, and when you changed was the wheel size critical (I don’t mean the 16”). Thinking of changing the wife’s 17” to get softer ride and lower priced tyres…looking at the eg2…. £100 for 17”, £70 fr 16”.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Tony, did your car originally have 17”, and when you changed was the wheel size critical (I don’t mean the 16”). Thinking of changing the wife’s 17” to get softer ride and lower priced tyres…looking at the eg2…. £100 for 17”, £70 fr 16”.

Hi Joe , 

yes the original wheels are 17” and I am still using them with my winter tyres, my new wheels are 16” but match perfectly the car spec, they come from Corolla saloon 2017-2019. Size 6.5J x 16” ET40 16” wheels from Auris gen 2 also fit fine.

ED4A7B03-7B97-4BF4-92AD-BDA7E073A6E7.jpeg

4212F96B-DF56-4EFA-87F7-6EF86BC54C13.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The GoodYear tyres are just so nice. If the tarmac is in good condition, tyre noise is just a whisper. 

In terms of Mpg, to soon to tell. It's still cold in the morning, and 8m/s wind coming from the east makes it hard to compare. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nielshm said:

The GoodYear tyres are just so nice. If the tarmac is in good condition, tyre noise is just a whisper. 

In terms of Mpg, to soon to tell. It's still cold in the morning, and 8m/s wind coming from the east makes it hard to compare. 

Good tyres indeed 👌, they will become even quieter when they wear off a bit. 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nielshm said:

Great to hear that! (See what I did there? 😉 )

How about coubik tarmac: is the noise the same as with your previous tyres, or better too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Persimmon said:

How about coubik tarmac: is the noise the same as with your previous tyres, or better too?

I suppose you meant rough tarmac, you’ve been UBIK’ed.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I meant rough, no idea what iOS autocorrection did there... 😄 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Persimmon said:

Great to hear that! (See what I did there? 😉 )

It's better, even on rough tarmac. 

We have a stretch road, the tarmac looks a bit old, but in good condition by the look of it.

The noise is extreme, no matter what car og what tyres are used. It's really strange how some roads cant be made quiet, unless someone supply it with a fresh top layer.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Persimmon said:

Yeah, I meant rough, no idea what iOS autocorrection did there... 😄 

Not IOS, it's the forum anti-rude word parsing at work.

• Haha 1

For summer tires, Goodyear efficient grip 2 is very quiet and comfy, softer than Dunlop. Continental Contipro5 is noisier than Goodyear, as soft as Goodyear but grip slightly better. 

UK/Ireland winter is mostly wet and light snow. All seasons tires with 3PMS does better job than any winter tires. They last longer, grip better in wet, and less noisy. Vector4seasons 3, Crossclimate2 are the best for winter even with heavy snow but they are not cheap. They last longer than even summer tires with Treadwear 500 instead of typical summer tires 280-360. 

Crossclimate 2 is probably the closest summer like tires in handling but still not as quiet as efficient grip2 because summer tires has no transversal pattern. 

I had a look the metal sheet in Corolla and Auris2. They are both well coated with body adhesive, and noise reducer in both under body and under the carpet. There is not much to improve. The main noise caused by  not using accoustic glass, and no heavy vinyl materials under the carpet. Butyl aluminum or tarmac adhesive will not increase anything but the weight of the car. Adding foam and heavy vinyl under the carpeting might reduce and change the road noise tone but not the wind noise from the glass. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, I've tried almost everything... Got a complete 2-layer sound deadening of the wheel arches, boot, front floor, 4 doors, tailgate and bonnet. Got soft, studless winter tyres that rate the quietest on the market. Replaced summer Falken tyres with the softest and quietest tyres as well. The car is quieter than before, but still very loud on any road that's less than perfect. 

The last thing I might try is adding door seals as described by @parkerbol in another thread. But, to be honest, I've lost hope. I believe Corolla is the noisiest car I've driven (I've driven Honda Jazz, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-30, Opel Grandland X, Toyota Camry, VW Passat, Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, Skoda Octavia, Kia e-Niro, Kia Ceed). Maaaaybe Kia Ceed estate was as noisy as Corolla.

This is my only complaint about the car though. But hell, it's pretty uncomfortable and headache inducing. I have a 60km highway work commute every day, and I'm definitely not looking forward to sitting in an airplane for half an hour each evening after work... 😞

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Persimmon said:

day, and I'm definitely not looking forward to sitting in an airplane for half an hour each evening after work... 😞

Ah, there's your answer.  Wear an ANC headset 😁

Seriously, it would work.  I was surprised the effect of quite inexpensive ones in a jet. 

17 minutes ago, Persimmon said:

Well, I've tried almost everything... Got a complete 2-layer sound deadening of the wheel arches, boot, front floor, 4 doors, tailgate and bonnet. Got soft, studless winter tyres that rate the quietest on the market. Replaced summer Falken tyres with the softest and quietest tyres as well. The car is quieter than before, but still very loud on any road that's less than perfect. 

The last thing I might try is adding door seals as described by @parkerbol in another thread. But, to be honest, I've lost hope. I believe Corolla is the noisiest car I've driven (I've driven Honda Jazz, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-30, Opel Grandland X, Toyota Camry, VW Passat, Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, Skoda Octavia, Kia e-Niro, Kia Ceed). Maaaaybe Kia Ceed estate was as noisy as Corolla.

This is my only complaint about the car though. But hell, it's pretty uncomfortable and headache inducing. I have a 60km highway work commute every day, and I'm definitely not looking forward to sitting in an airplane for half an hour each evening after work... 😞

I am surprised but I had driven Excel 2 litre which was quiet. 

11 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

I am surprised but I had driven Excel 2 litre which was quiet. 

Perhaps that's due to an acoustic glass present on that model. I'm still not sure if mine has it, because there are no such markings on the glass itself, but the local toyota website says all models in Finland come with "Noise canceling membrane on the windshield", whatever that means. 

Very interesting about this noise issue with Corolla, some people described as quiet some as very loud. I never driven any of the latest Toyota but the older Auris gen 1 and Prius up to 2015 both classic and plus 7 seaters were quiet and comfortable in all speeds. Ok, not as premium as some larger cars like Lexus, Mercedes or Audi and BMW but good enough and similar to Vw, ford , Vauxhall. In England there are many rough surface roads almost everywhere and those make the things even worse. Adding any extra sound proofing seems does not help much. Perhaps door seals , and door sound deadening it’s only needed.
My worst ever car in terms of road and wind noise was Auris gen 2 from 2013, that car was unbearable to be in at speeds over 50mph tyre,wind, road, and side mirrors whistles, experience similar to driving a cheap cabriolet. If Corolla and Yaris are similar, sadly this will kill any motorway pleasurable driving experience., no matter how smooth and easy they are to drive. 

Tony, coming from a Mercedes 220d we immediately noticed the much high noise level in the 1.8 Corolla at speeds above 60.

Then you get used to it. 

Once means of measuring is the audio volume level.  To hear radio speech at speed we might have vol at 36.  When stationary this is excessive with 24 being sufficient. 

• Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links