Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noisy tires, how to sound isolate Corolla TS?

As my tires gets older, the rubber slowly gets stiffer and more noisy on rough tarmac. Also, there's a cleary a difference between 10 C and 20 C. 

I only have the standard 16" Conti, but the difference between fresh smooth tarmac and older more rough surface is extreme. I find that road noise is much worse sitting in the back. 

Are the any easy places to sound proof without taking the whole car apart? I was thinking about the boot,  whats behind the sidepanels?Starter Battery is stored to the right. My guess is, that steelplates are bare metal without any cover. 

The boot it self is covered with fabric, I would hate to ruin that!! 

Whats under the rear seat? Apart from the hybrid Battery.... Can anything be done there? 

Extra and Effective Soundproofing is a big and expensive job, probably a lot easier and cheaper to buy some quieter tyres.

Sure other members will have done enough miles in thier new Corollas to advise which tyres are quieter.

• Like 2

I know that Falken tyres was known to be quote noisy. Conti often wins tests or finishes in top 3. 

My Conti can be very quiet, but only on smooth new tarmac. On German motorways made of concrete is pretty loud. 

I reckon your car is quieter then you think. Being a hybrid the engine will not be running for a fair chunk of the time - so less noise then you had pre hybrid days.  So you down to tyre noise. It would be nice if all roads were covered in the “quiet” stuff, and yes, some surfaces are very noisy. Doesn’t bother me too much, I can just turn my earring aid down a notch (like I do sometimes when the wife is having a go).

Just be careful working around the hybrid Battery, for your safety. And remember the hybrid Battery needs cooling, and relies on air for that.  So don’t soundproof and restrict air flow that’s what I saying.

• Haha 3

Hi, good soft rubber tyres can make a huge difference, also V- shaped winter and all season tyres are generally quieter than standard summer tyres that looks like aircraft tyres with only straight water drains canals. The worst tyres for noise and comfort are the asymmetric ones, left different from the right side, and the ones that are over inflated or has hard rubber plus large gaps between the protectors., off road, mid and sand. I drive with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 and can tell one of the quietest tyres I ever had, the car is Auris 2010 hybrid. I also have winter tyres Nexen Winguard sport 2, also very quiet, tyres that you need to look for should be classed as touring tyres not UHP with side rim protectors, these are noisier.,  I drive exclusively on motorways and believe me Uk ones aren’t the best or any better than German ones., been there too. Your car has sound proof although not the best in class or as good as vw for example or other eu brands however as mentioned the quieter drivetrain also helps outside noise from wind and tyres been more intrusive inside the cabin, Tesla are one of the noisiest Ev’s, since their have glass roofs and no ice. 👍 

• Thanks 1

All tyres have a noise level rating. "A" is the most quiet one. How ever, the rating indicates a 'drive by' noise level, and not what can be heard in the cabin. 

My question is: Will a 'A' rating tyre also be the most quiet inside the car? Or can a tyre be noisy on the outside, and quiet on the inside?? 

1 hour ago, nielshm said:

All tyres have a noise level rating. "A" is the most quiet one. How ever, the rating indicates a 'drive by' noise level, and not what can be heard in the cabin. 

My question is: Will a 'A' rating tyre also be the most quiet inside the car? Or can a tyre be noisy on the outside, and quiet on the inside?? 

Good question. I don’t know for sure but I believe these two might not be related all the time, if the car makes a lot of drive by noise very likely to be transferred to the cabin noise, although my winter tyres are noisier outside but quieter inside in comparison with my summer tyres., that tend to be quieter outside but at specific surfaces I can hear them more than the winter tyres inside. Tyre pressures are ultra important, just had a go in a brand new electric car with 11psi overinflated tyres and I can feel them rolling like I am in cart. My summer tyres if overinflated are becoming much noisier than when set correctly. One more thing I believe make difference, if the tyres has side rim protection and harder walls they will transfer more noise and vibrations into the cabin, when they are soft and with small or without rim protector lip they will be more insulated., like you are driving on air suspension. Here interesting video what happens inside the tyre when car moves . 

I have change my 17 inch falken tyres and fitted Michelin primacy 4 tyres  just over 5 weeks ago and what a massive difference its made in grip and lower road noise the tyre rating is Fuel C Wet A Noise 69db 

• Like 3

Is there a big difference in noise on rough surfaces? Thinking about getting the same on my 18” wheels. 

Yes even on rough road surfaces it is quieter and road holding in the wet is a big improvement. 

• Like 2

Today I maneged to get boot partly sound insulared. The fabric covering the boot is actually one big piece that can be removed pretty easy. Beneath are only raw steel plates, so it easy to apply insulating material. 

The removable floor board also got a layer on the back. 

It does make a pretty big difference. I did'nt have enough material, and could only cover 75%, so I guess it can be even better.