Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Manoeuvring in a Toyota Aygo automatic

Helen Ant

Hi I have bought a Toyota Aygo automatic 2008 to relearn to drive, I am finding it so much easier than a manual car for driving, I am having refresher lessons in it with a qualified instructor as I haven't driven since I passed my test in 2008. I'm very nervous! I wondered if anyone had any tips on manoeuvring?  My road is on a slight incline and parking is very tight, parallel parking. In effect when I'm in reverse to park I have to reverse uphill and the car doesn't do this easily I end up pressing the accelerator and not moving so I press it a bit more and I shoot back which is obviously not good news for the car parked behind! Would I be better to use the gears? If so how! Any tips appreciated please x

I've recently switched from a manual C1 to an MMT (x-shift) Aygo so I've having the same learning experience!

There is only one reverse gear, so it's just a case of being delicate on the throttle - just enough to get it moving and as soon as it moves easing off.

Hi, since these cars has an automated manual transmission they are a bit horrible while manoeuvre especially on tight places. You may try to see where accelerator makes the car moves and just keep it there and let the car moves slightly, you will need to be very precise with pedals, may also use left foot on the brake if that helps. If you would like an easy parking Yaris hybrid or any Toyota hybrid are better  as they behave like an older style automatic transmission with torque converter where the car always moves on its own and all you need to do is apply brakes slightly or accelerator slightly but much easier than Aygos, btw all cars with similar to your transmission behaves the same. You will get use to with the time.

Regards 🙂

At the end of the day, if you're happy with the Aygo, that's fine. No need to consider anything else.

As regards driving the Aygo with the multi mode transmission (automatic), have a look at the first few posts of the following topic, which may help:

You could try practising manoeuvring in an empty car park or similar.  Let us know how you progress.

• Like 1

Before I got my newer one with the hill assist, I used the handbrake. Like the manual, set the gas pedal so its ready to go, then release the handbrake.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I'll practise and let you know how I get on

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links