Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare Key Price High.

gibsons

Dealer wants £250 for a spare electronic key fob for Yaris Hybrid. Only a basic second key came with the new car and apparently it's standard these days. Are there cheaper alternatives and can programming them be done DIY. Any advice/help appreciated.

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

I had the same issue. The car came with remote locking and alarm. Two keys, one remote one not. The problem is the non remote won’t disable the alarm. Try and unlock your car without the remote key. You can’t disable the alarm. After a discussion with the supplying garage I got another remote key free of charge. 

I think Toyota UK messed up with this. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Please update your profile to include the Yaris Hybrid.

One reason the dealer supplied keys are relatively expensive is to dissuade anybody getting a spare key for your car. Could try an auto locksmith. 

• Like 2

I had a Renault Laguna and I had to pay just over £260 including programming for a spare remote/key as I had lost one of them.

googled for hrs to see if there was way to programme it myself waste of time just got the dealer to do it all.

I had 2 remote fobs with the corolla when I bought it last year.

Don’t bother trying to programme the key other than getting the dealer to do it it’s a waste of time. 

• Like 1

I got a mobile key guy to cut and programme a key for a Hyundai, it was about £120

8 hours ago, gibsons said:

Dealer wants £250 for a spare electronic key fob for Yaris Hybrid. Only a basic second key came with the new car and apparently it's standard these days. Are there cheaper alternatives and can programming them be done DIY. Any advice/help appreciated.

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

Sorry but this doesn't chime with my own experience? Was this a NEW Yaris Hybrid at first purchase? If so, I think that someone at that dealer is telling you porky pies! My new Launch Edition was purchased October 2020 and it came with two full spec keys as usual? As far as I and my dealer is aware it is certainly NOT "standard" to provide a "basic second key"!

My 2016 Aygo was only supplied with one remote key and one non-remote. Ordered a second remote on delivery and got it at a discount for around £106.

Who accepts a brand new car with only one remote fob? It would be left on the forecourt until either a pair of remote fobs were supplied or a written confirmation that a second would be provided at an agreeable date, the only exception would be if for some reason you had knowingly agreed to this prior to purchase.

At this stage it’s a little more complicated to resolve as you have accepted the car, but I would start at the dealership and escalate as required, nobody expects to buy a new car with only one fob and be hit with a surprise bill for £250, that’s not OK.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and yes it was a new Yaris Hybrid delivered to my house on Friday. Only found out yesterday that the second key was just a basic key with no lock/unlock buttons. 'Phoned dealership yesterday and was told this is the standard with the new Yaris Hybrid package, but to ring on Tuesday ( Bank Holiday tomorrow} with regards to a possible discount. We will see!

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

7 minutes ago, gibsons said:

Thanks for all the replies and yes it was a new Yaris Hybrid delivered to my house on Friday. Only found out yesterday that the second key was just a basic key with no lock/unlock buttons. 'Phoned dealership yesterday and was told this is the standard with the new Yaris Hybrid package, but to ring on Tuesday ( Bank Holiday tomorrow} with regards to a possible discount. We will see!

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

Look at my first post. You should get it for free from Toyota. I did. 

Well... only one fully functioning key... so that is something to make a mental note off and to figure into negotiating any deal. Is this the norm among other marques these days I wonder? 

Although a few years ago, when we purchased three new Mazdas (different models between 2003-2007) the norm was one remote and one standard key. Back then a new remote from the dealers was £150.

Ours isn't a Hybrid but only came with one Key the dealer is supposed to be sending a second Key out asap, I was told by Toyota not to loose the one we have other wise it will be £1000 to reprograme without the original key.

My new Yaris that I collected recently came with two remotes.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wildtapholer said:

I was told by Toyota not to loose the one we have other wise it will be £1000 to reprograme without the original key.

Usually with a new car, you get the key number on a small metal tag put on one of the keyrings, which enables you to get new keys in the event of loss. I always note the number in the service/warranty booklet to have a record in case the tag goes missing.

I would imagine that it will tell you in the handbook what keys come with it.  It's in mine.

I was talking to a Toyota tec because as of yet I only have one key, and he said new replacement  keys come from a German company what Toyota use, Toyota order the key using your chassis number it then comes from the German firm ready cut and Toyota code it but you have to have your original key or it's being coded from scratch, I don't know how it incurs a £1000 price tag but that's what I've been told if you have no key.

7 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

I was talking to a Toyota tec because as of yet I only have one key, and he said new replacement  keys come from a German company what Toyota use, Toyota order the key using your chassis number it then comes from the German firm ready cut and Toyota code it but you have to have your original key or it's being coded from scratch, I don't know how it incurs a £1000 price tag but that's what I've been told if you have no key.

I had the same issue, and got one free of charge from Toyota after discussion with the supplying dealer.  You don't have to pay £1,000. You can get it for free.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:01 AM, gibsons said:

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

This is not really fair or right. If Toyota Ireland dealerships can supply two remote control keys, then surely GB Toyota dealerships can do likewise. One key is not sufficient in the event of anything untoward happening to the single key. Don’t give up the fight easily Gibson, a single key is absolutely ridiculous.

£1000 for a lost key i dont think so, you can get the physical key cut by the vin number, you can program up to 4 keys, with techstream/techdoc* you can remove all keys, programming new keys cost €1-2 each (plus vat)

*authorized and security clearance required

Not sure what fobs the Xp210 uses, but it's more than likely the same as another model (i will look it up)

£1000 may be a full lock set and 2 fobs parts retail at £520 and 2-3 hours labour

If the car has a physical ignition barrel the car is supplied with 1 fob key and 1 standard key

2 hours ago, W1P30UT said:I had the same issue, and got one free of charge from Toyota after discussion with the supplying dealer.  You don't have to pay £1,000. You can get it for free.

Getting an extra remote fob is slightly different to loosing all your keys and loosing the ability to code in from an existing master. Historically if you had lost all master keys, the security ECU had to be physically removed and replaced along with all keys. Oddly it wasn’t easy to get to most of the time. Realistically in older generations the encryption has been cracked and you could overwrite new keys at will, which is exactly what I had to do a few years back when faced with a dealer trying to tell me it was going to be a grand to soft my RAV.

2006 onwards, on many marques there is no master/slave key, it can be programmed with a dealer level tool or by an auto locksmith with a machine - it was common  on older cars to remove the immobilizer from the ecu especially with engine swaps but with the way the cars now are more integrated with data buses security is handled by multiple modules and the network gateway

I was given 1 key, dealer says he will post a new spare  remote key when it arrives, in the mean time it was said whatever you do don't loose the one you have otherwise it can cost £1000, I'm only repeating what Toyota told me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links