Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Screechy Front Brake

roks

Hi All,

Anyone know if its possible to buy the ring/clip hardware that's attached to the pads?

20210420_134818.thumb.jpg.aba26cfacc8cada859a925467ac106b0.jpg

I had this intermittent screech and when it does screech its not continuous, its pulsing, at low speed and coast etc. so I removed the front pads and clips caliper grooves and cleaned and applied bit of brake grease to the tip of the pads. One of the ring/clips (see pic) was deformed so I bent it back to match the others and put everything back together, noise disappeared.

The pad and disc has done just over 1,200 miles, so quite new (sadly I didn't do the job, it was done just before I bought the car), I cant see it being warped (to cause pulsing noise).

Its been about 3 weeks now, and the screeching noise is back and I think it maybe due to this bent clip.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

That "clip" looks like the pad squealer to me.

I've added a picture of an old pad from my Avensis, you can clearly see the squealer.

20210502_134806.jpg

20 minutes ago, Stivino said:

That "clip" looks like the pad squealer to me.

Thanks Stivino, the pads are almost new, so there plenty of meat on it...unless the squealer is touching something else.

The bent clips, highlighted in the picture, they wrap around the notch at both ends of the pads, and they ride inside the clips on the caliper grooves.

668087241_Aurispadhardware.thumb.jpg.9e65f5c09a7e0489497b19ed49f64b90.jpg

Those are anti-rattle clips. You can buy then as a brake fitting kit (try Mintex). To stop squeal try smearing Ceratex brake grease on the back of the pads.

Hi, if you can take same pictures of the discs and share here, brakes are really tricky to fix sometimes, they need a lot more attention than they usually received. If you have any issues with vibration and noise, you may need to take anything apart again including the disc out of the hub, clean thoroughly with metal brush or something all the rust from the hub, and fit the disc again, clean all grease from all parts, only use silicone grease on the slider pins, and check for pistons if return correctly when release the brake pedal , you may need help from someone to press the brake while you watch. Not properly cleaned Rust and grease between the hub and disc or  grease on pads are one of the most often mistakes done by many mechanics and culprit for vibration and noise from the brakes. 👍

On 5/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, mrfixer said:

(try Mintex)

Thanks, I'll have a dig for those

On 5/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, TonyHSD said:

take same pictures of the discs

Thanks, will do. They do a groove/gauge? around the middle of the pad or so, not smooth when I run my nail across.

Talking about rust, I am not impressed with the state of the axle nut, the exposed thread of the axle is crumbling away, I was sure if it built up rust or the actual threads crumbling. It appears new cars are more prone to rust, my old corolla was in a better state after 14 years when I changed the cv joints.

Front

20200911_170259.thumb.jpg.07ad70bc41667e31c0995178dbbac35a.jpg20200911_170239.thumb.jpg.23df344d7461337719dc24e5d1c545bc.jpg

Grooves the catch in my nail are actually on the inner on one side and outer on the other side.

Rear

20200911_170321.thumb.jpg.bb5ae6f5e7e1c884f91aace895d50da3.jpg20200911_170211.thumb.jpg.9bb69576505e81c16ebd572ea8eae4ea.jpg

Not worked on the rear yet but one side looks smeary, will get check it out in couple of weeks time.

On 5/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, mrfixer said:

Those are anti-rattle clips. You can buy then as a brake fitting kit (try Mintex). To stop squeal try smearing Ceratex brake grease on the back of the pads.

I have ceratex, and did apply a light coat on the piston face (bit that makes contact with the pads). Also looked at Mintex catalogue, they do the pad support clips but not the anti-rattle clips.

I might just buy a cheap pads if I cant find them.

Had the exact same problem and in the end ditched the Mintex pads and fitted a cheap set of pads from my local factor.

loads better.

also a new set of pins and clips back and front

• Like 1

Thanks for uploading pictures. I can see you have some pad material left on one of the discs and this can be the reason for vibrations. The best for the brakes is to follow manufacturer recommendations for using or not using any lube and where exactly, adding grease sometimes causes all the problems we have after job is completed. When you take them apart next time you can clean all surfaces and use grease only on slider pins, you may find better results afterwards. Brake pads I can recommend you EBC Ultimax, as good as original or even better stopping properties, quiet too. If you use your old pads , give them a good metal brush clean on the friction material and spray them with brake cleaner to remove all possible debris, as with the time dirt gets trapped there and starts scratching your discs, another reason for vibrations. 👍  

19 minutes ago, Steveieb said:

in the end ditched the Mintex pads

Mines are actually Apec brand pads on the front and feredo on the rear, came with the car. I dont know much about either of the brands. but the front has these grooves so those pads may not that good or the disc, not sure what they are.

19 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

When you take them apart next time you can clean all surfaces and use grease only on slider pins

Will defo give it a good clean, by the was I dont have any vibration issues at the moment, just that intermittent screech on the front.

Thanks guys for you tips

• Thanks 1

The apec pads sorted mine but perhaps it’s because they are new .

• Thanks 1