Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crunching sound

Black Black

Hi I'm a new member I've recently bought a 2014 1.3 yaris,can someone help me, there is crunching sound coming from under the car when I go over slowly a speed bump, there is 35 000 miles on the clock , it does seem to be more from the front. 

Moved to the Yaris club.

2 hours ago, Black Black said:

Hi I'm a new member I've recently bought a 2014 1.3 yaris,can someone help me, there is crunching sound coming from under the car when I go over slowly a speed bump, there is 35 000 miles on the clock , it does seem to be more from the front. 

The cause of noises are very difficult to find unless one is on site. Even then it can be frustrating. As it occurs going slowly over speed bumps it could be squeaky suspension springs or dampers. Did you buy from a private seller or a car dealership. If from a dealership then take it back and have them look at it. If from a private seller it’s “buyer beware “ . I would like to think that with a car that has low mileage, it’s not serious. Have you had a history check on the car??

Hi I've done history check, nothing on advisors. I bought the car from good local garage, took it back this morning they checked it over and said it sounds like it could be wishbone bushes that have gone dry through lack of use, does that make sense to anyone, is that possible the cause, thanks. 

Wishbone bushes on almost all cars are rubber - so always dry.

The top strut bushes can dry out through lack of use.. but more likely to hear that on turning at low speeds.

A crunching noise over speed humps sounds like worn roll bar drop links. Or a broken spring.

My mother has a 2014 (64 plated) Yaris Icon also a 1.3 and hers creaks from the suspension when going over bumps or cornering - my own 2006 1.3 does the same thing, it seems a common issue and likely just the rubber suspension bushes getting creaky. Mine has done it for all 5 years I have owned it, some days worse than others, and seems even worse in damper weather, but never had issues on the MOT with the creaking noises from the suspension. Its either go and get it checked out and possibly replace the creaky bushes or put up with the noises until the car fails the MOT for excessive play or wear in the bushes.

I keep a jam jar of brake fluid I've bled out. Ideal for quietening creaking bushes.

Very often rubber bushes dried for real and become hard or too soft, they trap sometimes some dirt especially in winter and dry weather, like debris from the road and all that causes creaking suspension. You have two options, take the car for an hour drive tomorrow in the heavy rain on the motorway, or buy some wd-40 silicone spray and spray all rubber components on your suspension, no more creaking. My car had developed recently exactly same thing, been very dry for the last 6-7 weeks, try my advice and remember: never use red classic wd-40 spray on any rubber parts as this is harmful. Only use silicone spray that helps protect rubber and rejuvenate, make it elastic again. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402820450753

• Like 2

OK thanks for your advice I will get some silicone spray and try that

2 hours ago, Black Black said:

OK thanks for your advice I will get some silicone spray and try that

To be really thorough, or just nerdy, treat one pair of bushings/joints at a time and test drive between each. If it does fix it at some stage you will then know which are the culprits and can consider getting them replaced at a convenient time.

• Like 1

On a Yaris its likely to be the front ARB bushes.

Today sprayed some silicone wd-40 on the front suspension arm bushes on auris and the car became quiet, no more noises over bumps, potholes or when braking harder and all that with immediate effect. 👌

053A2989-56F7-493C-AB33-8A5FEBCB50EE.jpeg

Hi I've sprayed silicone on the bushes,but made no difference, I've booked it in the garage next week for them to sort this noise out, will let you know how I get on 

Hi I've had to new wishbone arms replaced now and the sound as gone, thanks for all the advice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1