Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breaking in a Rav4

PAISLEY1903

I noticed it says in manual to be careful at beginning on driving at the same speed.

My Rav4 will be driven by dealer nearly 300 miles to me when it arrives in UK....

Im thinking of telling them DO NOT USE CRUISE CONTROL.  But part of me says im telling them how to do their job!

what's your thoughts... 

I did ask Toyota and they said below but just wondered if you would still comment to the dealer !!!

Hi Craig,

Congratulations on your new car and thanks for choosing Toyota.

A Toyota centre will be well aware of the running in period for the vehicle and will adhere to it if they are delivering the vehicle.

Really Craig, just don't worry about it. It's a hybrid and automatic. It'll drive the way it wants and there's pretty much nothing that the driver can do to change that - apart from trash it as hard as he/she can and I think we can hope / assume that the supplying dealer won't do that ...

• Like 2

thank you @philip42h I go into every fine detail too much !  🙂

Other alternative is you go and pick the car up from the dealer assuming you are trading in your old car. 300 miles is probable a 5 to 6 hour journey so the delivery driver won’t want to take too long as he also has the return trip to make. However with modern precious engineering running in is not as critical as it was.

Can remember on more than one occasion driving down the motorway at 70 being overtaken by a brand new car on trade plates. New owner takes delivery and then spends the next 1000 miles running it in as per the manual!

C6F56B6D-EEA1-4998-9BEB-F4EE51DBCD63.png

As commented above its difficult to see how this car could be abused on UK roads and typical traffic levels. If you want reassurance you can always look at the journey history to see what sort of fuel consumption was achieved over those first 300 miles. Even the advice about constant speed running doesn't particularly apply to a car that varies engine speed from moment to moment. Just make sure there are no dents and nothing is missing ( spare wheel or repair kit, locking wheel nut tool and original wheel nuts etc.).

57 minutes ago, roadster-rav said:

As commented above its difficult to see how this car could be abused on UK roads and typical traffic levels. If you want reassurance you can always look at the journey history to see what sort of fuel consumption was achieved over those first 300 miles. Even the advice about constant speed running doesn't particularly apply to a car that varies engine speed from moment to moment. Just make sure there are no dents and nothing is missing ( spare wheel or repair kit, locking wheel nut tool and original wheel nuts etc.).

I think you're confusing dealer with - insert your favourite terms for someone who steals anything they can lay hands on here - ... or you need to find a better class of dealer if you have reason to check if they kicked your spare wheel/tools/wheel nuts 😄

Op, if you're concerned, collect it, or have it delivered via low loader. I say this as someone who recently drove nearly 800 miles round trip to facilitate the collection of a RAV4... that was 'cheap' on eBay with no photo's and the wrong info and paid for in full via bank transfer. I did briefly consider what your average scammer spends tens of thousands of pounds on, but it was from a franchise dealer in Devon.

I wouldn't worry about it being in cruise control, due to undulations in the road, and general traffic and auto braking, the engine revs will change a lot even when it's on.

22 hours ago, Avalon said:

I think you're confusing dealer with - insert your favourite terms for someone who steals anything they can lay hands on here - ... or you need to find a better class of dealer if you have reason to check if they kicked your spare wheel/tools/wheel nuts 😄

I wasn't thinking of theft so much as oversight or the reported practice of switching a temporary spare and jack on one car with a ( much less useful ) repair kit on another.

Not an awful problem to have really...