Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Oil Change!


PAISLEY1903
 Share

Recommended Posts

In my old Kuga I would get an oil change done every 5000 miles and my plan is to do the same with the Rav4.

I noticed on a Toyota master technician video online he suggested to get an oil change done at the 1000 mark after break in at the outset due to the amount of times he has seen small bits of metal in the oil.

Is this something many of you have done - or is it a case of if I took it to the dealer they would just look at me as if I was crazy LOL 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


If you want to be American about oil changes, it won't do any harm (other than to your wallet and the environment), but it's also not really required in this application. In years gone by when tolerances and manufacturing standards/practices were different, it was advisable, and truth be told in high performance applications, it still is the norm, but realistically Toyota (unlike certain other brands) doesn't have significant historical issues in this area. Chopping the service interval in half as you did with your Kuga is frankly excessive, even my old RAV only went from 10K to 8K intervals after 100K because it fitted with my usage, it'll hit 140K shortly without issue and in the 500K+ as a family we've done in RAV's, we've only had one breakdown and that was nothing to do with the oil/engine side of things.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As above ...

Toyota don't specify a "post break-in oil change" so it isn't required. The service interval is 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes sooner.

If you are doing less than 10,000 miles per year, change the oil every year even if you've done less than 5,000 miles (or less than 1,000 miles!).

If you are doing more than 10,000 miles a year, change the oil every 10,000 miles without fail. Toyota are pretty conservative and don't specify extended oil change intervals (like some others).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Avalon said:

If you want to be American about oil changes, it won't do any harm (other than to your wallet and the environment), but it's also not really required in this application. In years gone by when tolerances and manufacturing standards/practices were different, it was advisable, and truth be told in high performance applications, it still is the norm, but realistically Toyota (unlike certain other brands) doesn't have significant historical issues in this area. Chopping the service interval in half as you did with your Kuga is frankly excessive, even my old RAV only went from 10K to 8K intervals after 100K because it fitted with my usage, it'll hit 140K shortly without issue and in the 500K+ as a family we've done in RAV's, we've only had one breakdown and that was nothing to do with the oil/engine side of things.

THANK YOU.  Yeah it was only once the Kuga hit 120,000 miles did I move to 5k from 10k - thank you I will save the £££

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

As above ...

Toyota don't specify a "post break-in oil change" so it isn't required. The service interval is 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes sooner.

If you are doing less than 10,000 miles per year, change the oil every year even if you've done less than 5,000 miles (or less than 1,000 miles!).

If you are doing more than 10,000 miles a year, change the oil every 10,000 miles without fail. Toyota are pretty conservative and don't specify extended oil change intervals (like some others).

THANK YOU - Yes I want to keep the car for MANY years to come.   Got a bit concerned when the Toyota US Master Technician said to get it done as a minimum every 5000 if want to keep your car for a long time.  If handing it back after 4 years.. keep it to 10k.   It got me wondering!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only time I've used a "genuine" filter, is when I worked in a main dealer's.  Any other time I use OEM filters.  When you think about it, no car manufacturer also makes filters so they must be using OEM, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With all the potential problems with the ZZE I am taking no chances.

When the Honest John forum took a selection of filters apart they found a wide variance of the filter core  material. And some had no relief valve.

ive had pattern air filters which disintegrated and drop into the carb on my daughters old polo , stranding her in the fast Lane.

Another example was a main dealer who ran out of oil filters sourced one from a factor and the engine ran out of oil on the M1 as the seal was not a good fit.

Why risk your engine for a £10 part ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Stivino said:

The only time I've used a "genuine" filter, is when I worked in a main dealer's.  Any other time I use OEM filters.  When you think about it, no car manufacturer also makes filters so they must be using OEM, too.

This is slightly more complicated than you’d think. Toyota don’t make filters, they subcontract it Nippon Denso who used to be part of the Toyota group, but were separated and Toyota now only own 25% of the business, so in effect it could be argued Toyota do make filters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Steveieb said:

With all the potential problems with the ZZE I am taking no chances.

When the Honest John forum took a selection of filters apart they found a wide variance of the filter core  material. And some had no relief valve.

ive had pattern air filters which disintegrated and drop into the carb on my daughters old polo , stranding her in the fast Lane.

Another example was a main dealer who ran out of oil filters sourced one from a factor and the engine ran out of oil on the M1 as the seal was not a good fit.

Why risk your engine for a £10 part ?

Pattern and OEM are not the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for clarity if I get Oil and filter change what type of Filter should I be asking for at the Toyota dealer.

I also seen on a Toyota master technician stating at 1000 miles get oil changed as there could normally be small metal parts in it...    Where does it stop!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Just for clarity if I get Oil and filter change what type of Filter should I be asking for at the Toyota dealer.

I also seen on a Toyota master technician stating at 1000 miles get oil changed as there could normally be small metal parts in it...    Where does it stop!!!

Forget what ANY "master Technician" tells you and change your oil at the manufacturer's recommended intervals.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Stivino said:

Forget what ANY "master Technician" tells you and change your oil at the manufacturer's recommended intervals.

Thank you.  crazy the things there saying! thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, KP7811 said:

Just Asking, Why does my RAV4 call for 0w16 Oil in the United States, and 5w20 or 5w30 in the rest of the world. Ow16 is like water..

And now there is an 0w-8 oil available (not necessarily recommended for RAV4),so how thin is that. But over the years engineering and manufacturing practices have got better hence these latest oils give better efficiency it is claimed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KP7811 said:

Just Asking, Why does my RAV4 call for 0w16 Oil in the United States, and 5w20 or 5w30 in the rest of the world. Ow16 is like water..

My RAV also calls for 0W-16 oil and, indeed, claims that it is filled with 0W-16 from new. 0W-20 and 5W-30 are shown as acceptable alternatives but should be changed for 0W-16 at the next oil change.

As they say: "Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather". With the stop / start hybrid system that is likely to be a relevant consideration ...

The lowest viscosity oils are less readily available in 'other' geographies which, I suspect, is why Toyota specify their use in regions where 0W-16 is not available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership