Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Avensis with the 2.0 BMW diesel engine burning oil.

Jake 55

Hi all, 

I wonder have many of you had issues with the 2015 2.2 Avensis burning excessive amounts of engine oil?

The car has always been serviced with genuine Toyota kit and currently has 56000 miles, it always used a little oil between servicing but just required around a half litre top up over 15000 miles to keep it on the upper mark of the dip stick. since the last service it has required around two litres of oil to keep the level within range and the five year  warranty has now passed. 

The only BMW engines were the 1.6 and 2.0 litre diesels. The 2.2 is a Toyota engine. So which do you have?

Is it a 2015 as per the topic or a 2016 as per your profile?

On 5/5/2021 at 11:06 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The only BMW engines were the 1.6 and 2.0 litre diesels. The 2.2 is a Toyota engine. So which do you have?

Is it a 2015 as per the topic or a 2016 as per your profile?

Sorry my mistake!

Yes its a late 2015 2.0 BMW engine.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:11 PM, Jake 55 said:

Sorry my mistake!

Yes its a late 2015 2.0 BMW engine.

u still problems with the 2.0 1adftv engine i bought a 2014 toyota avensis with this engine hope to not have problems with it. its got 41k on it atm 

It isn't the 1AD series engine, it is the 2WW (BMW).

On 5/14/2021 at 2:59 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

It isn't the 1AD series engine, it is the 2WW (BMW).

FROSTYBALLS m8t what you think of the 2.0 d4d  1adftv dpf engine i thought that was a bmw engine also 

The AD series was a Toyota engine. They only used a BMW diesel from 2014 (Verso and Auris/Avensis from 2015) to fill a gap in their diesel range for a 1.6 to compete with other manufacturers (VW, Ford, etc). It probably wasn't cost effective to design their own 1.6, and using the BMW engine in both 1.6 and 2.0 made sense for production.

The AD series had issues early in life as regards heavy oil consumption and head gasket failure, but these were largely fixed from late 2009. Like any diesel, increasingly stringent emissions controls also caused further potential issues later in life (EGR, DPF, etc).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The AD series was a Toyota engine. They only used a BMW diesel from 2014 (Verso and Auris/Avensis from 2015) to fill a gap in their diesel range for a 1.6 to compete with other manufacturers (VW, Ford, etc). It probably wasn't cost effective to design their own 1.6, and using the BMW engine in both 1.6 and 2.0 made sense for production.

The AD series had issues early in life as regards heavy oil consumption and head gasket failure, but these were largely fixed from late 2009. Like any diesel, increasingly stringent emissions controls also caused further potential issues later in life (EGR, DPF, etc).

thanks dude thats why wanted something reliable. you say they used thebmw engines in 2014 was that a 2.0 bmw wngine in 2014 as my toyota avensis is a 2014 with a 2.0d4d engine but as you say it is a ad series engine so its for sure a toyota engine. i know id say il have bother with the dpf in my one as my avensis is the 2,0 d4d 1adftv dpf cars 

The Verso had the BMW engine from 2014, and the Auris and Avensis had them from 2015. So yours would be the Toyota engine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Verso had the BMW engine from 2014, and the Auris and Avensis had them from 2015. So yours would be the Toyota engine.

class thanks so much .im looking forward to putting loads of miles on this car and keeping it hope low maintenance free as nothing falling apart for a long long time lol. i had my last car for 10 years so hope too have this one the same :)

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, 

Sorry ive not been on here for some time but its great to see all the activity.

My Avensis is still using engine oil and now requires a service, as the car is out of warranty i am thinking of servicing it myself and using a different brand engine oil just to see if anything changes, I also want to document the miles against the exact oil usage on a different brand oil to see if there is a difference.

I assuming the oil burn may not be a common fault with this 2.0 BMW engine?

12 hours ago, Jake 55 said:

Guys, 

Sorry ive not been on here for some time but its great to see all the activity.

My Avensis is still using engine oil and now requires a service, as the car is out of warranty i am thinking of servicing it myself and using a different brand engine oil just to see if anything changes, I also want to document the miles against the exact oil usage on a different brand oil to see if there is a difference.

I assuming the oil burn may not be a common fault with this 2.0 BMW engine?

Maybe get the car serviced at Toyota dealership and then record oil use per mileage.  If AFTER the service and as a result of your oil recording you do find it is using oil take it back to the dealership and get them to investigate it under the RELAX warranty that you'll get as part of the service.  Just to flag up that the warranty won't cover pre existing issues prior to the service so may not be possible to pursue this route if there is definitely a problem at the moment.........

• Like 2

Willss, 

I never knew that a warranty was available for servicing work, surly it would just cover the service parts or a defect relating to the service? I have just serviced the car myself as the warranty period is over and intend to closely measure oil usage against mileage for now but maybe I should of had chat with my local Toyota dealer first.😨

I have used another engine oil brand with the same ACEA C3 spec as the genuine Toyota 5w-30 and also inspected the turbo via the air inlet for any signs of excess moment or wear which may cause oil usage , i know the engine will require deeper investigation if the fault persists but it seemed like a good idea to remove the air inlet line during the service as it only meant removing a few extra clips etc.                                                                                                                          Thankfully the car is running well with no other issues at the moment and it looks like the problem I am experiencing is not common on the forum..

3 hours ago, Jake 55 said:

Willss, 

I never knew that a warranty was available for servicing work, surly it would just cover the service parts or a defect relating to the service? I ..

Just couple weeks ago Toyota UK announced a new plan that extends what was the cars 5 year warranty up to 10 years so long as you have car serviced at the right intervals by Toyota themselves. Further, a new car now has a 3 year warranty (not 5 year) and the discounted servicing for Toyota cars over 5 years has gone.

The new plan is called Reflex and you can read about it on this forum or got to Toyota uk online.

• Like 1

The new scheme is called 'Relax'.

Thinks guys,  

I bought my car from mainland UK at 15000 miles, since then it has been serviced with genuine Toyota kit by my local garage so the five year warranty would not be invalid, as the warranty is now up i have carried out the latest service myself.

Im assuming this may mean my car does not qualify for the Relax program? 

19 minutes ago, Jake 55 said:

i have carried out the latest service myself.

Im assuming this may mean my car does not qualify for the Relax program? 

The Relax warranty extension is given when the car is serviced through the Toyota dealer network - so self servicing won't be valid.

25 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Relax warranty extension is given when the car is serviced through the Toyota dealer network - so self servicing won't be valid.

Yea that's what i though, i'm totally on my own with the engine oil usage problem.

I Think it may be worth having a chat with someone within the BMW groups, the N47 engine seems to pop up quite a bit with common issues so the chances are i can get an accurate diagnosis and a rough price guide before i jump into major engine repairs , first i need to rule out crank case breather faults which seem quite common, I do like this car and don't want to let it go but it may end up being the best option.

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Just an update on the Avensis 2.0 business edition BMW engine.

Stay clear of these engines may be the best policy... serviced at 62458 miles and monitored the oil consumption, over 5539 miles. it has required 2.5 litres of oil to keep the level at the full mark on the gauge. 

Is anyone else having the same issues with the BMW engines?

The crankshaft pulley also needs replacing as its started rattling when the load comes on the alternator or A/C 

• Like 1

When Toyota had issues with the AD series engine, oil consumption was judged to be heavy at more than 0.5 litres per 621 miles (1,000km).

2.5 litres over 5,539 miles equates to 0.5 litres per 1,100 miles (1,770km).

• Like 1

Unfortunately my car has been getting worse.

This is my exact oil usage from the last service.. 

Full service at 62458 miles

1st top up (one litre) at 65418 miles = 2960 miles from service.

2nd top up (1.5 litres) at 67391 miles = 1973 miles from service.

3rd top up (one litre) at 67997 miles = 606 miles from service.

The car is due in for an EGR recall and my local dealer is going to check out the oil consumption issue at the same time. Say the oil consumption is turbo related which is probably better than and engine strip down, your looking at about fourteen hundred pounds for an exchange unit. It also requires a crank shaft pulley which costs around five hundred quid.

• Like 1

A quick update on the supper reliable BMW power house😜

I've decided to fit the crankshaft pulley as this could or will lead to a phone call from the wife with a knocking or screeching noise coming from the car and no steering etc.

Done some research and i think I've got the correct pulley ordered for just over 150 quid.. not a Toyota part of course but it looks like the genuine pulley at almost 500 quid for the Avensis doesn't last anyway.   

On to the oil burn issue.

After speaking to some skilled auto mechanics about my issue it has been said that the engines are noted for excessive carbon build up throughout the oil ways and piston rings, I've been recommended an engine flush which helps remove carbon build up from the piston rings etc. The flush has just been added and the oil changed after fifteen minutes of engine idling.  I may repeat this flush procedure two to three times after the car has done a hundred miles or so to see if the oil burn starts to slow down.

Lets wait and see!

1 hour ago, Jake 55 said:

A quick update on the supper reliable BMW power house😜

I've decided to fit the crankshaft pulley as this could or will lead to a phone call from the wife with a knocking or screeching noise coming from the car and no steering etc.

Done some research and i think I've got the correct pulley ordered for just over 150 quid.. not a Toyota part of course but it looks like the genuine pulley at almost 500 quid for the Avensis doesn't last anyway.   

On to the oil burn issue.

After speaking to some skilled auto mechanics about my issue it has been said that the engines are noted for excessive carbon build up throughout the oil ways and piston rings, I've been recommended an engine flush which helps remove carbon build up from the piston rings etc. The flush has just been added and the oil changed after fifteen minutes of engine idling.  I may repeat this flush procedure two to three times after the car has done a hundred miles or so to see if the oil burn starts to slow down.

Lets wait and see!

sorry to hear that im sure when you think of buying a half descent toyota car and year you wont have those kind of problems boss. tbh i dont like bmw engines as there just a money pit so when i heard that toyota were putting them in i could not believe it so i got the last 1ad toyota engine last one put in the avensis. but with mine it comes with its own problems with a dpf 😞  plus me not doing that many miles dont help in this problem. but the way cars are going now im sure you be dam lucky to get any newer ones to even last to 100k anymore . im thinking maybe next move will be a petrol and hybrid maybe 

Yea the car is bang on apart from the engine, nice to drive and in fairness the 2.0 means it is not struggling to get up to speed.

Im afraid the hybird thing is just to new and a total money pit to repair, like every other new technology it takes time before the average bear can afford it.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:20 AM, 2009joe said:

class thanks so much .im looking forward to putting loads of miles on this car and keeping it hope low maintenance free as nothing falling apart for a long long time lol. i had my last car for 10 years so hope too have this one the same 🙂

2009joe I am surprised you didn't know that Toyota stop the AD series diesel, in favour of the WW series from BMW. The AD series is Euro5 while the WW series meets Euro6. So another reason for the switch. Saves on development costs, plus Toyota have moved away to hybrid for most of it's car range. 

• Like 1