Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2015 Avensis with the 2.0 BMW diesel engine burning oil.

Jake 55

20 hours ago, Jake 55 said:

Yea the car is bang on apart from the engine, nice to drive and in fairness the 2.0 means it is not struggling to get up to speed.

Im afraid the hybird thing is just to new and a total money pit to repair, like every other new technology it takes time before the average bear can afford it.

if the engine !Removed! itself do u think the toyota ad engine could be put in instead of the ww engine . if it the same toyota avensis im thinking maybe one of those ad series engine might be abled to be put in a remap the other software out of it 

Not sure about being able to swap out the engine.. Is the gear box or mount points even the same never mind the electronic hurdles?

Some good news.. I have replaced to crankshaft pulley, the 150 pound unit fitted straight on with no issues.

As for the oil burn issue I am going to run the car around three hundred miles before i carry out another engine flush, I think the first oil flush may be helping things but its to early to be sure. The flush that I am using was recommended by another car manufacture a few years back for freeing up sticking piston rings in their engines and it had good success so for the price of two or three oil changes and an additive I think its worth a shot.

tbh the other 1ad toyota engines go on for ever without problems your car is 2015 bud and well its not old to be giving bother like that .those engine flush is for someone that never looked after the car at all and drove it hard i can see that additive doing any good at all its still a really fresh car tbh .i cant believe toyota would do something as stupid as that putting there name to those oil burning n47 bmw engines .is it worth flogging it on and getting a one with a 1ad engine . mine got the 1ad engine but got the dreaded dpf on it so im waiting like yourself for a ticking time bomb to go off  as tbh i dont cover much miles anymore .great driving car never the less got it with 38k  there 44k on it now 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

N47 update after one single engine flush🤔

The oil burn may have slowed down a little,, I have just checked the oil level tonight after 970 miles and although it has dropped a little I don't think it is as bad. Previously it had started to use one full litre after just 606 miles.

The car has been with Toyota for an EGR cooler recall, while in their care I requested they check out the oil burn issue, nothing obvious was found and an engine strip down was the only solution, as my warranty has passed I think ill run with another flush for now to see what happens. when dipping the oil level tonight I also noticed that the oil was not as black as before..

WHAT can cause a sludge build up within the engine oil and possibly lead to oil burn? OK,, BMW have run this engine for a very long time and it has some known faults from what I have read online, sludge build up and oil burn is not one of them, I'm assuming Toyota have designed the aftertreatment (DPF) unit for this engine, could it possibly maintain to much exhaust system back pressure between regens or cause the sludge build up in the oil?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jake 55 said:

Hi all

N47 update after one single engine flush🤔

The oil burn may have slowed down a little,, I have just checked the oil level tonight after 970 miles and although it has dropped a little I don't think it is as bad. Previously it had started to use one full litre after just 606 miles.

The car has been with Toyota for an EGR cooler recall, while in their care I requested they check out the oil burn issue, nothing obvious was found and an engine strip down was the only solution, as my warranty has passed I think ill run with another flush for now to see what happens. when dipping the oil level tonight I also noticed that the oil was not as black as before..

WHAT can cause a sludge build up within the engine oil and possibly lead to oil burn? OK,, BMW have run this engine for a very long time and it has some known faults from what I have read online, sludge build up and oil burn is not one of them, I'm assuming Toyota have designed the aftertreatment (DPF) unit for this engine, could it possibly maintain to much exhaust system back pressure between regens or cause the sludge build up in the oil?

the price second hand cars are selling at now would it be a good idea cutting your losses with those bmw engine toyotas and send her down the road. maybe go for a clean year or 2 older with the 2.0d4d engine maybe not sure what year the dpf came in but my 2014 2.0d4d has the dpf in it. but suppose il have to cross that bridge when i come to it myself as i do short journeys to work during the week and only at weekends do it get a  longer drive 

I think what has saved my motor from giving any DPF trouble to date is the fact that the misses drives on the motorway for her daily commute to work, this may allow sufficient time for exhaust temperatures to rise and a full DPF regen to occur which helps burn of the extra emissions due to the high oil burn issue.

I wonder if the 1.6 engine is suffering from the same oil burn  / sludge issue as the two litre engine?  I can drive the car quite comfortably around 2000 RPM or less, Im assuming the 1.6 would need a slightly different driving style (higher RPMs) to get the car up to speed etc, if your an around town driver it would be very hard to get the exhaust temperatures up and allow the car to complete a full regen.

6 hours ago, Jake 55 said:

I think what has saved my motor from giving any DPF trouble to date is the fact that the misses drives on the motorway for her daily commute to work, this may allow sufficient time for exhaust temperatures to rise and a full DPF regen to occur which helps burn of the extra emissions due to the high oil burn issue.

I wonder if the 1.6 engine is suffering from the same oil burn  / sludge issue as the two litre engine?  I can drive the car quite comfortably around 2000 RPM or less, Im assuming the 1.6 would need a slightly different driving style (higher RPMs) to get the car up to speed etc, if your an around town driver it would be very hard to get the exhaust temperatures up and allow the car to complete a full regen.

if that the case and your wife dose motorway drives would you not sell and come down a year to the 1adftv engines 2.0d4d supposed t be great engines especially the later 2.0d4d 1adftv .the older ones suffer from liner problems .i see the on line forums think the 1adftv engines dont give much bother if any .think even with the dpf some say they dont give bother either .

That's a good point Joe. The reason i'm not changing is the loss i would make in selling the car after just four years.

Apart from the oil burn I like the car, I bought it with only 15,000 miles and its now coming up to 70,000. With the cars current value i'm not far of new car payments if i sell just now, for that reason i am prepared to hold on to it.

If the problem can be solved with a few engine flushes and bringing the oil change back to eight thousand miles rather then twelve thousand mile ill be running it well over 100,000 to get its true value.

There doesn't seem to be to many comments regarding the exact reason for oil burn or oil sludge build up in this form at the moment and from what I've been learning the sludge leads to most of the mechanical issues rather than defective parts in the engine.

On the Toyota built BMW unit the crank pulley and oil burn issue is listed a few times on here but no FIX is listed. I have managed to fix the crank pulley for £150/200 quid, i'm quite a stubborn sod so i'm not giving up on the oil burn issue just yet. 😄  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jake 55 said:

That's a good point Joe. The reason i'm not changing is the loss i would make in selling the car after just four years.

Apart from the oil burn I like the car, I bought it with only 15,000 miles and its now coming up to 70,000. With the cars current value i'm not far of new car payments if i sell just now, for that reason i am prepared to hold on to it.

If the problem can be solved with a few engine flushes and bringing the oil change back to eight thousand miles rather then twelve thousand mile ill be running it well over 100,000 to get its true value.

There doesn't seem to be to many comments regarding the exact reason for oil burn or oil sludge build up in this form at the moment and from what I've been learning the sludge leads to most of the mechanical issues rather than defective parts in the engine.

On the Toyota built BMW unit the crank pulley and oil burn issue is listed a few times on here but no FIX is listed. I have managed to fix the crank pulley for £150/200 quid, i'm quite a stubborn sod so i'm not giving up on the oil burn issue just yet. 😄  

cool cool well i had a real sickener with my first car breaking down and i was always throwing money at it one thing after another by the time i was finished fixing it and wen i mean the engine heat up so i put another low miles engine in it then the gearbox went out but that was my fault lol. then the back end axol went out and had to get that referb up and with a newish engine i put in a new rad. now i stay away from cars that give money they are real money pits. well that car i had was a french make3 one so junk to me lol. worst thing about it also when i more r less fixed it all up more or less like new a uninsured driver t boned me and wrote me off 

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2021 at 2:49 PM, Jake 55 said:

Hi all

Just an update on the Avensis 2.0 business edition BMW engine.

Stay clear of these engines may be the best policy... serviced at 62458 miles and monitored the oil consumption, over 5539 miles. it has required 2.5 litres of oil to keep the level at the full mark on the gauge. 

Is anyone else having the same issues with the BMW engines?

The crankshaft pulley also needs replacing as its started rattling when the load comes on the alternator or A/C 

I have the same problem

replaced the pulley already as it broke and now it’s consumin around 3 litres plus every 10k miles 

4 hours ago, Enrien said:

I have the same problem

replaced the pulley already as it broke and now it’s consumin around 3 litres plus every 10k miles 

if you can sell those avensis with those bmw engines and se if can get one of the older ones before the bmw engines a clean low miles one maybe the better option .nothing as much as a pain as a car breaking down if you ask me those bmw engines when they give bother they can only give more bother 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links