Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smoke/steam from the exhaust.

North Yorkshire Steve

We have had our 2ltr Corolla (2020MY) since February and due to lock down have only done 1500 miles so haven't given it hard throttle.

Yesterday I did give a bit of a boot to get round another car and when looking in the mirror to check I was passed I saw a small cloud of white smoke/steam.

I 'think' that it could be condensation as you get when first starting a non hybrid car because the exhaust isn't getting really hot due to the engine not running all the time

What do others think?

Apparently normal. If coolant level, normal level then no issues.

A lack of use and dampness. When weather cold my Volvo exhaust vapour you can really see, my 2015 Auris hybrid, nothing until the weather is cold, then just a bit. It's only done 33,000miles. Volvo 940 petrol auto 205,000miles. Use it more and just enjoy!

James.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, appears totally normal with this car, and it's not down to lack of use or dampness with mine.  I've purposely checked it out once or twice in the last 12 months and it happens even when I've done a long run. 

• Thanks 2

The 2 litre hybrid engine has a GPF (gasoline particulate filter) fitted in the exhaust.  I would imagine that this is another part of the exhaust that will draw heat from the exhaust gases, leaving the rest of the exhaust running cooler, and thence more prone to condensation, perhaps?

I don't believe that these devices are likely to suffer the bad reputation that their diesel equivalents have got.  As I understand it, they are necessary to clean out particulates that are a byproduct of the 2 litre engine's direct injection system.  As engine emission regulations get tighter then they will likely become more common on other cars.  The new Yaris hybrid has one fitted as well.

Another poster had a similar comment to you  a few months back, I seem to remember, on the same car.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gerg said:

The 2 litre hybrid engine has a GPF (gasoline particulate filter) fitted in the exhaust.  I would imagine that this is another part of the exhaust that will draw heat from the exhaust gases, leaving the rest of the exhaust running cooler, and thence more prone to condensation, perhaps?

I don't believe that these devices are likely to suffer the bad reputation that their diesel equivalents have got.  As I understand it, they are necessary to clean out particulates that are a byproduct of the 2 litre engine's direct injection system.  As engine emission regulations get tighter then they will likely become more common on other cars.  The new Yaris hybrid has one fitted as well.

Another poster had a similar comment to you  a few months back, I seem to remember, on the same car.

I made a post a couple of months ago - and mooted the GPF as the potential culprit. 

have to admit in the milder weather, I’ve not noticed any smoke / steam at all. No change in fluid levels either. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links