Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 exhaust

Vince88

Exhaust has sheared at back of central box (see drawing) and from looking online this will mean replacing the whole of the front exhaust including cat which is dealer part and £****

Anyone had a similar failure and know what options are available to me?

Screenshot_20210508-092906~2.png

I’m confused here, why not just source the actual section(s) you need and piece it, which is what any remotely competent garage would suggest if you asked them?

Hi Avalon, I would like to know if anyone has managed to repair without replacing front-most section. I would like to avoid dealer prices if possible. And whether anyone has even managed to repair the pipe at this point.

PXL_20210508_073737118.jpg

I think the best option would be to ask an exhaust centre if they could supply and fit a silencer box only. Cutting the existing pipe forwards of the silencer box that is broke and welding the two pipes together. Worth trying and costs nothing  to ask, don't think they would entertain repairing it. 

Reputable exhaust place said there may be a chance to weld it so fingers crossed.

He couldn't get the part anyway, which is a bit ominous.

Anybody able to confirm a part number?

A cursory look at eBay shows exactly what you need (the centre section) for circa £100, any reputable motor factor will likely be able to order you the part next day (or same day if you are lucky), nobody replaces a full exhaust system for a single point failure, you buy the appropriate section and have it pieced in.

In my experience repairs don't usually work especially if the exhaust is on a long time on the car. In your case the silencer would probably burn through on welding. A company like GT exhausts who manufacture exhaust systems could supply and fit one for you. They have a presence in NI and West Midlands (which is probably too far from you). I presume they distribute throughout the UK and Ireland. Their exhaust systems are of very good quality. I recently got an exhaust of them for 05 Corolla and fitted it myself.

On 5/8/2021 at 12:06 PM, Vince88 said:

Hi Avalon, I would like to know if anyone has managed to repair without replacing front-most section. I would like to avoid dealer prices if possible. And whether anyone has even managed to repair the pipe at this point.

PXL_20210508_073737118.jpg

so I would say they should have one for your motor. Might be worth giving them a ring if you fail to get sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Debrun, I did end up getting the repair done, not sure if it was the right decision but it's done now. Cost me £85 and I expect it will outlast the remainder of the exhaust so content with that for now.

PXL_20210513_154325086.jpg