Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No power

Mattbloke

My 2010 Aygo Blue hasn't been used much recently and so it was dead when I tried to start it yesterday. There was some noise from the start motor or solenoid but it wouldn't turn over.

I set up to jump start it from my VW Campervan Battery but, having connected the jump leads, it was obvious that the current from the van Battery was too high and the leads started heating up and smoking. I disconnected, let them cool, then connected them very briefly whilst my wife tried to turn it over - nothing, no attempt from the start motor to turn and not even a click from the solenoid.

I have just connected a new Battery but there is no power anywhere and of course it won't start.  No power at the locks, nothing when I turn the key and I can't even use an OBD code reader.  I have checked the fuses in the engine bay behind the battery and those behind the steering wheel but all are okay.

Is there another fuse somewhat I could have blown? Anything in-line on the battery cables?

Does anyone have any other ideas please?

1 minute ago, Mattbloke said:

I set up to jump start it from my VW Campervan battery but, having connected the jump leads, it was obvious that the current from the van battery was too high and the leads started heating up and smoking.

That sounds like there is a pretty major short circuit somewhere - check the heavy cables between the Battery and the starter motor first.

A blown fuse wouldn't cause lots of current to be drawn, the opposite.

It sounds like you have blown the hi amperage fusible link on the fuse box Toyota say they are not replaceable, but there are other ways to replace it

the fusible link is located at the rear of the fuse box behind a small cover

A reverse polarity jump will kill an Aygo, if your lucky you may not have damaged the ecu

10 hours ago, flash22 said:

A reverse polarity jump will kill an Aygo, if your lucky you may not have damaged the ecu

I am surprised that it happened in 2021 when there is so much information on how to and how not to jump start your vehicle in the internet and not to forget the vivid you tube channel. Let us hope that the repair is not too expensive and in future keep a keep a Battery booster starter in the car to jump start.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have checked the main fuse under the fuse box and this is where things are strange. 

As you can see from the first photo, the fuse has blown previously and someone has repaired it, altgough with a 150A fuse. I have only had the car since October 2020 and so this was done before then but it has been running fine. Obviously it's something else.

I check the first stretch of the Battery cables and they are ok but I can't check the whole length without either undoing a lot of stuff to get access or by jacking it up to check the cable to the starter motor. However if it we only this cable, surely there would be power to some of the circuits as it is a new Battery that I know has a good charge.

As you can see from the second photo it looks like some of the fuses are missing. 

Any ideas please?

Also I'm not sure why people think that I connected the jump leads the wrong way in reverse polarity?

20210509_133948.jpg

20210509_133516.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mattbloke said:

Also I'm not sure why people think that I connected the jump leads the wrong way in reverse polarity?

Jump leads are very heavy cables, for them to get hot and smoke (as you describe) means that a VERY large current (at least tens of Amps, possibly over 100 Amps) must have been flowing - for that to happy there is either a massive short circuit on your Aygo or the cables were connected reverse polarity.

You say you've connected a new Battery - is the Battery voltage OK (check with a meter)?

Well I think that I actually did have the leads the wrong way round stupidly. The Van Battery terminals are the opposite set up and, as it was dark and I was in a rush, I didn't check properly. What a fool I feel now!

So I'm guessing that I havenprobably fried the ECU. I believe that these can be swapped but will need reprogramming to the car with the old data otherwise the immobiliser and keys won't work.  Does anyone have any idea how easy this is to do and what a rough costs might be? Is it best to buy one and then get it reprogrammed or send the old one off to a company who will reprogramme a news one and then send it back?

It depends on the spec of the car as to what is in the fuse box

A reverse polarity is  easily done on the aygo and causes this sort of issue

are you getting power to that large fuse ? Have you been supplied the correct Battery ?

It may be the picture but the right-hand side of that fuse look melted to me, where do the 2 cables go to ? Into the fuse box ?

Edit. Restore the power then see what issues you may have

Just had another look at the diagrams Toyota supplies a 125A fuse if that one blows

90982-08297

Also be aware there are other high Amp fuses that live in the relay box under the passenger headlight (if fitted)

410626132_aygomk1relaybox.thumb.jpg.c712587ad08db1adccd9d50f4b5d64cd.jpg