Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hardwire dashcam to cigarette fuse

George1971

Hi. I’m trying to hardwire Dashcam to fusebox. When tested with screwdriver mains tester to find ignition switched fuse all fuses lighting up. That’s on switched off ignition. Is it safe to assume that cigarette fuse is still one to use in this case?

It turns on with ignition, and gets powered off when the car is turned off. You have multiple topics on this already.

You can either use a piggyback fuse, and connect like that. That's easier option, however it sticks out you might have problem putting the cover back on.

Or you can splice the wire that goes from the fusebox to it, and put another fuse there, then route to Dashcam.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, furtula said:

That's easier option, however it sticks out you might have problem putting the cover back on.

The Yaris is like that. I have used the interior fuse box and the 12v socket fuse with a "piggyback". I have just left the cover off and it's in the glovebox for reference, if needed.

Simpliest way: take the electric mirrors switch out with a knife, remove its connector, identify IG+ and ground wires, tap them and connect there a 2 amps phone charger.

I have my dash camera connected to one of USB charger port and works very well. 

Charger.jpg.3fd0af8801ec84119385624a985802f4.jpg

4 hours ago, tavy said:

tap them and connect

I'm interested to know how you have done this? Hopefully by not using Scotchloks!

Usually I join the wires by hand and insulate them with a thermocontractable tube, where is possible; a method which never fails...

In this case, I insulted them with tape because the wires are thin. 

...or you can replace the lighter socket with one like this:

IMG-20210417-WA0004~2.jpg

Good afternoon George 1971,

My advice would be to NOT hardwire your dash-cam into the fuse box. The reason-- dash-cams run on 5 volts whilst your car is 12 volts. There is every chance that you could fry the dash-cam if you did. The connecting cable which is supplied with the dash-cam has a plug on one end that goes into the cigarette lighter socket. That plug is a transformer reducing 12 volts down to 5 volts. The safest way is to get a separate cigarette lighter socket, hard wire THAT onto the back of an existing socket (that way you don't have to worry about fuses as the existing socket is already fused)   tuck the new socket and plug behind the glove compartment. Tape the two together so that they don't come apart. That's the safe way.

Cheers.

We are talking about 5V adapter installed on IG+ line, sorry if someone understood otherwise...

On 5/12/2021 at 12:28 PM, tavy said:

wires by hand

And solder them hopefully? Sorry for the inquisition!

18 hours ago, MickJo said:

The reason-- dash-cams run on 5 volts

No, they don't all use a 5v supply. Some, like the one I have runs off 12v.

18 hours ago, MickJo said:

That plug is a transformer reducing 12 volts down to 5 volts.

Or with some it doesn't reduce to 5v but supplies 12v, see my previous post.