Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Do EGR valves ever get clogged?


Recommended Posts

I was wondering, do the EGR valves ever get clogged or caked up? Previous owner only used the car in city and it seems a little sluggish on take off. Gets better every day and only seems to happen when the car is hot (and from what I remember, EGR valves are closed on cold?)

Like a vibration and a hesitation on acceleration. Car pinged when I bought it but it cleared up after a few motorway drives.

2016 model year.

thanks guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put some decent fuel in it and a bottle of injector cleaner - a slight vibration is standard for a 3 cylinder

A service would also help - Oil and air filters, decent Oil and 3 new plugs, don't forget to do the cabin filter as its likely never been changed

 

EGR's rarely foul up on petrol cars as they are a cleaner burn - diesel being a heavy Oil fuel, will soot and gum up with a tar like substance and choke an engine

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Egr’s get clogged on petrol cars,  but it’s not only that, the catalytic converter does too, best to use some good additives like wynns catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner this thing does a magic. , had me fixed recent problems on hard acceleration. Make sure you use exactly as on the label, and good quality petrol , BP is probably the best one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 1:50 AM, TonyHSD said:

Egr’s get clogged on petrol cars,  but it’s not only that, the catalytic converter does too, best to use some good additives like wynns catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner this thing does a magic. , had me fixed recent problems on hard acceleration. Make sure you use exactly as on the label, and good quality petrol , BP is probably the best one. 

I definitely feel improvements when running additives and giving it V-Power, and they stay meaning it's being cleaned out. Is it a hard job to remove the EGR valve and just clean it manually? I Imagine that's where my issue stems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cal5028 said:

I definitely feel improvements when running additives and giving it V-Power, and they stay meaning it's being cleaned out. Is it a hard job to remove the EGR valve and just clean it manually? I Imagine that's where my issue stems.

Hi,

I am not sure on Aygo but usually it is not a difficult job. if it’s your first time best to watch some videos if any available to familiarise yourself, buy some egr cleaner sprays and if any specific tools required and wait for the sunny day. 
Regards 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with Tony. The Wynn's catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner is like magic in a bottle. Cured a roughness at 2000 rpm and car flew through MOT emissions test, like new. I throw some in the tank every 6 months.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fordulike said:

Totally agree with Tony. The Wynn's catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner is like magic in a bottle. Cured a roughness at 2000 rpm and car flew through MOT emissions test, like new. I throw some in the tank every 6 months.

That sounds interesting - I've also had the same issue as people / OP have described earlier in the thread and seen people reccomend Wynn. Is this the one?

W25692-p.png

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fordulike said:

Totally agree with Tony. The Wynn's catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner is like magic in a bottle. Cured a roughness at 2000 rpm and car flew through MOT emissions test, like new. I throw some in the tank every 6 months.

Sounds good! Is there any risk running it? The car seems to perform fine when cold and just has a very slight roughness at 2000 RPM when warmed up. I imagine running Wynn would help, but I obviously don't want to risk harming any sensors! Sounds very promising, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cal5028 said:

Sounds good! Is there any risk running it? The car seems to perform fine when cold and just has a very slight roughness at 2000 RPM when warmed up. I imagine running Wynn would help, but I obviously don't want to risk harming any sensors! Sounds very promising, though.

This thing cleans the fuel air ratio sensor and the catalytic converter plus the 02 sensors which are one of the most important things for proper fuel mixture and burning, I am not sure that can help for egr cleaning but definitely helps a lot for all above. EGR will require dismantling and properly cleaning with special sprays then fitting all back in. I use Holts spray sprays and they worked very well. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143652416707

Regards 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

This thing cleans the fuel air ratio sensor and the catalytic converter plus the 02 sensors which are one of the most important things for proper fuel mixture and burning, I am not sure that can help for egr cleaning but definitely helps a lot for all above. EGR will require dismantling and properly cleaning with special sprays then fitting all back in. I use Holts spray sprays and they worked very well. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143652416707

Regards 

Cool! You never know with additives, but I'll be sure to try and order it. Is it the one in the picture by Chris? I can tell that I can order the same thing from a local store nearby, would be cool to try.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Cal5028 said:

Cool! You never know with additives, but I'll be sure to try and order it. Is it the one in the picture by Chris? I can tell that I can order the same thing from a local store nearby, would be cool to try.

Yeah, same one or even if it’s in purple bottle still does the same thing. 👍 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2021 at 9:23 PM, TonyHSD said:

Yeah, same one or even if it’s in purple bottle still does the same thing. 👍 

Just recieved it from the post! It says to add 500ml (the full bottle) to minimum 30 liters of fuel (so I’ll just fill the tank and add the bottle). What are your experiences with the amounts, and does it sound right to just add the entire bottle to a full tank? 
Should be noted I bought the black bottle as shown in the post by Chris up above.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

best to follow the instructions on label and mix with max amount of 30 ltr for best results. I calculated my fuel by the gauge, waited 2 bars to go down from full then poured the whole bottle in and drove the car on motorways mostly, some harder accelerations and most importantly is to drive for 30+ min at a time , so engine can reach optimum temperature and higher to burn all crap away. 
Regards 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

best to follow the instructions on label and mix with max amount of 30 ltr for best results. I calculated my fuel by the gauge, waited 2 bars to go down from full then poured the whole bottle in and drove the car on motorways mostly, some harder accelerations and most importantly is to drive for 30+ min at a time , so engine can reach optimum temperature and higher to burn all crap away. 
Regards 

Just reporting back on my findings (say if anyone searches for this thread and would like an answer)

If you have any rough running issues, then yeah, you should definitely try the aforementioned bottle of Wynn's catalytic and o2 sensor cleaner. That stuff really does the trick. Engine feels calmer and runs well.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership