Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low Oil Pressure

Allie1987

Hi,

I have a 2010 Toyota Auris 1.33 TR, around 65,000miles had a new timing chain and clutch last year 

Last few months I have been getting low oil pressure symbol and when i check the oil it is low, roughly topping up 1ltr-1.5ltr every 2weeks, I have checked the drive and no signs of oil leaks and not blowing out the back where is it going, I have also noticed and a big change in power, really struggles up long gradient hills where I have to most of the time get in the crawler land with the HGV's, I am due to get a new car in a few months but want to keep this as a 2nd car, any ideas what the problem could be before I put it in the garage.

Thanks 

Paul

Get a compression test done, if its not dropping is it must be burning it, iirc the 1.33 does have oil ring issues

have a read of this thread

• Like 1

Thanks Flash, I've had a good read and does sound likes the pistons, probably not worth sending in for repair as I'm looking to part ex in the next couple of months 

In the meantime you can try using heavier oil to reduce consumption, 5W30 for example.

I switched to 5/30 Castrol Magnetec for Stop Start engines and have already put in 2.25L of oil since it was serviced on Feb 26th this year. To put that in context I've done around 2.5k miles. Interesting reading back on that old thread where I was talking of consumption in the 1L per 5000 miles region. So mine has got worse very quickly. Emissions for the MOT were all about as low as they could be so no problems showing there (yet). When I changed the plugs 2 years ago I was surprised how oily the very long threads were. They were shiny wet with oil. The plug electrodes themselves looked in excellent shape having covered 60k. 

• Like 1

Oil on the plugs tread can be because of the gaskets and or valve seals, strangely this modern engines consume oil a lot but does not smoke or cause an emissions issue  like older worn out engines that smoke blue from exhaust. I can recommend to stick with manufacturer recommended grade no matter how many miles or how much oil consumption is, and you can put a wynns oil stop leak next time, it may make a bigger difference than just switching to 5w30. Engine flush on every oil change if one a year is also a good idea. 👍