Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear exhaust (silencer) box

Excel777

I am trying to get the rear exhaust box (silencer) for my car replaced.  Unfortunately, the part seems to be out of stock everywhere.  Jemca Edgware said the part was on back order with an eta of 1st May.  It's still not arrived.  I can't seem to find non-toyota one either. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggested solutions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jemica - enough said

what engine ? mk1 or mk2 Auris ? if your unsure PM me your VIN

• Like 1

Have you tried eBay? I just have and their are boxes on there.

• Like 1

Thank you for replies.  Mk2 2013 - petrol 1.6.   

Nothing on autodoc. 

Looked on eBay last week -  nothing.   Looked again after your message today - found one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154440099635?fits=Model%3AAuris&hash=item23f558e733:g:yNAAAOSww35gkcLl#vi-ilComp

What are your thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Excel777 said:

Thank you for replies.  Mk2 2013 - petrol 1.6.   

Nothing on autodoc. 

Looked on ebay last week -  nothing.   Looked again after your message today - found one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154440099635?fits=Model%3AAuris&hash=item23f558e733:g:yNAAAOSww35gkcLl#vi-ilComp

What are your thoughts?

Have you tried used one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153230968582
I think you might be better off with used genuine part than with unknown maker and sent from abroad. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273570519794

Thank you - good idea.  I will contact them.

Thanks. 

It's a hatchback. I contacted Walkers last week - they told me it was a dealer part. I will message Euroflo and revert with what they say.

At the stealer, normally the part is around £383 (can't remember if fitting is included) but I remembered something about fixed price repair and mentioned that - they told me it would cost £240 fitted.

My cat was stolen in Feb 21. Insurance garage replaced it with non-Toyota part. Car came back with a horrible noise from exhaust.   Went to Jemca Edgware for independent diagnostic who said the noise was due non-Toyota parts being used.  Insurance garage took the car back and diagnosed it was rear exhaust box and took the car to Jemca who called me to tell me that they didn't do the diagnostics properly first time round and "exhaust noise is suspected to be from internal baffles in rear exhaust section". IIasked him what causes this as the silencer was intact. He said it was due to water corrosion inside the silencer as the exhaust doesn't get hot enough on short journeys.

If the rear exhaust box is something that corrodes from the inside, would a second-hand one have the same problem?

Still, thanks for the links above - I was beginning to think that there were no other options up until this afternoon. 

@Excel777 You seem to be doing similar stuff that I went through or tried. 

Whats the issue with your exhaust?

Its pain in the back side this, back box is one piece, runs all the way middle of the car.

My issue is the throaty noise, apparently my 2013 mk2 exhaust was based on the old sports model, cant remember what it was.

I didn't buy from eBay because didn't want to end up with same as I was  not sure from which year they fitted quieter exhaust.

Lol you just answered my question regarding your issue.

I thought they didnt target petrol cars? 

38 minutes ago, roks said:

1.6 is similar to 1.8 hybrid and has cat at the same place plus the same large opening under the car that make access super easy. Thieves are after a quick job, best to install same cat plate lock like on the hybrid ones. 

I bought the car in Jan 18 from a Vauxhall dealer.  In March 18, the exhaust started making the loud throaty noise - Vauxhall told me they replaced the rear box at the time.  Car was very quiet until cat was stolen.  

Car sounds like a motorbike now.  Difficult to drive with fussy newborn baby.

I thought they didn't target petrol cars too but I was proven otherwise. Had the car fitted with tilt alarm and non-Toyota cat lock (like @Tony HSD recommended) which may provide some deterrence. 

How is your replacement rear exhaust box? What price did you pay for it? Currently on eBay, @Flash22 found the original second hand one of going for £175.

Has the car had this throaty sounds prior the cat been nicked? If the car was quiet then it’s not from the rear silencer but from the front , the new parts fitted and or poor workmanship. The silencer can not get rusted in a few weeks time . Something might not be right with diagnosis. Maybe a second perhaps third opinion and check from another garage be a good idea. 

11 minutes ago, Excel777 said:

What price did you pay for it?

I didn't get it at the end, one I looked at was £80 on collection from 2014 model so could not be sure if it had the quieter exhaust. I might look into it again if the noise gets unbelievable.

1 hour ago, roks said:

What made you think that?  It’s the precious metals inside they are after, worth a lot of money. Diesel cars get dirty very quickly, hybrid cars (which are petrol) are very clean because they run on Battery approx 40% of the time so very desirable, but petrol cars will do for them thieves.

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Has the car had this throaty sounds prior the cat been nicked? If the car was quiet then it’s not from the rear silencer but from the front , the new parts fitted and or poor workmanship. The silencer can not get rusted in a few weeks time . Something might not be right with diagnosis. Maybe a second perhaps third opinion and check from another garage be a good idea. 

No, it wasn't making that noise. I argued the same with insurance garage but to no avail. Jemca Toyota initially said it was to do with parts fitted but then changed their story, when they did the diagnostics second time round.  I did get two other opinions. One said it wasn't blowing but the noise was due to the cat being empty of soot and the back box full of it and the noise would go after time. Another said it wasn't blowing but they thought it was to do with non Toyota parts fitted.  I didn't have much leverage after Toyota contradicted themselves.  All of this takes so much time - in the end I had to give up.

12 hours ago, roks said:

Both petrol and hybrid cars are victims - older Honda Jazz and Accord, some Audis, etc.

3 hours ago, Excel777 said:

No, it wasn't making that noise. I argued the same with insurance garage but to no avail. Jemca Toyota initially said it was to do with parts fitted but then changed their story, when they did the diagnostics second time round.  I did get two other opinions. One said it wasn't blowing but the noise was due to the cat being empty of soot and the back box full of it and the noise would go after time. Another said it wasn't blowing but they thought it was to do with non Toyota parts fitted.  I didn't have much leverage after Toyota contradicted themselves.  All of this takes so much time - in the end I had to give up.

Hi,

The problem most likely comes from the fact that the whole front exhaust pipes including the cat are of different make and has different exhaust flow rate compared to the oem, since that the rear silencer is supplied with extra exhaust flow (different exhaust gases speed) and that difference cause the extra noise which silencer can not deadening. You may ask your insurance to fix a new rear silencer from the same make that was fixed the front part of the exhaust or replace all the parts with oem to match the rear silencer. The theory for the soot make sense to some extent although if oem part was fitted correctly then might be a different story and the extra noise from the exhaust to be lower and closer to what was before the incident.  If you change the rear exhaust silencer with used oem one may not help at all since I believe the new parts fitted has made the change and caused the issue., the car was quieter before. 👍