Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF Pressure Sensor causing bad MPG?

Infiniti

Hey everyone!

Does anyone have any experience regarding the DPF pressure sensor in any 2.2 D-CAT engines? Do they get clogged and dirty? Can you clean them or is it better to replace?

I have somewhat consistent yet random bursts of whitish smoke from my exhaust, seemingly from the DPF doing regens. I'm wondering if the DPF pressure sensor is slowly dying or is blocked, and that is why it is doing these regens. Also unburnt fuel in the exhaust can apparently cause white smoke, making me think these may be connected?

Thought it was worth an ask, although if I do go ahead I will probably also get my DPF cleaned, so there isn't any residual soot. 

BTW I get around 37MPG, driving at one gear up, e.g. 30 in 4th, 40 in 5th, 60 in 6th, trying to use that low down torque on my flat 25 mile commute, with a fuel rail and boost pressure box for fuel economy.

Thank you!

I have exactly the same problem as you, bursts of white smoke randomly but almost consistent. Also I can even see some slight smoke while stopped in traffic so my mechanic told me it might be the 5th injector stuck open and leaking  soo I ordered one from eBay and I'm expecting it on the 28th and I hope it sorts the problem because mines sometimes its pretty bad.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:53 PM, Mariosskoutaris said:

I have exactly the same problem as you, bursts of white smoke randomly but almost consistent. Also I can even see some slight smoke while stopped in traffic so my mechanic told me it might be the 5th injector stuck open and leaking  soo I ordered one from eBay and I'm expecting it on the 28th and I hope it sorts the problem because mines sometimes its pretty bad.

Hey Marios,

Please let me know if this solves your issue? It's pretty annoying, and if it is impacting my MPG then I definitely want to fix it!

Let me know what you find? 

Thank you!

40 minutes ago, Infiniti said:

Hey Marios,

Please let me know if this solves your issue? It's pretty annoying, and if it is impacting my MPG then I definitely want to fix it!

Let me know what you find? 

Thank you!

Hi,

I'm currently waiting for the part to arrive but another question, Do you have any problems with starting when sitting overnight?. Not very hard starts but also not normal(sometimes not always).

My mechanics theory is that sometimes that the injector is stuck open or leaking it drops the pressure in the fuel rail and that's why and I'm really hoping that's the problem.

Also I'm noticing when I have these "hard starts" I have more smoke than other days when starts fine and maybe that confirms the theory that the injector leaks into the DPF overnight.

Also my MPG is dropping everyday depending with the smoke.

Sorry if I complicated things or if I said something that doesn't make sense but let me know.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

Hi,

I'm currently waiting for the part to arrive but another question, Do you have any problems with starting when sitting overnight?. Not very hard starts but also not normal(sometimes not always).

My mechanics theory is that sometimes that the injector is stuck open or leaking it drops the pressure in the fuel rail and that's why and I'm really hoping that's the problem.

Also I'm noticing when I have these "hard starts" I have more smoke than other days when starts fine and maybe that confirms the theory that the injector leaks into the DPF overnight.

Also my MPG is dropping everyday depending with the smoke.

Sorry if I complicated things or if I said something that doesn't make sense but let me know.

Hey Marios,

To a certain degree yes. It's an almost brand new Battery, and all of my journeys are 25 miles+, so the Battery is definitely well charged. However sometimes it does start quite hard, and then revs rather high and settles down between 800 and 1200.

Another thing I have noted is that I have never seen black smoke from this car. In the 9 months I owned this, I have only ever seen grey/ white smoke.

For a period not long ago, I was also experiencing a ?quivering? RPM, let's say I'm at 50 in 5th, around 1800rpm I believe? The RPM needle would quiver around 50rpm up and down, this would happen normally at a similar time to the grey smoke discharge, and I could feel slight power drops, a little judder in the torque.

I believe this could also be in relation to the 5th injector, or possibly injectors in general as even though it never showed an EML, it did feel like fuel rail pressure momentarily dropping.

Have you experienced this?

10 minutes ago, Infiniti said:

Hey Marios,

To a certain degree yes. It's an almost brand new battery, and all of my journeys are 25 miles+, so the battery is definitely well charged. However sometimes it does start quite hard, and then revs rather high and settles down between 800 and 1200.

Another thing I have noted is that I have never seen black smoke from this car. In the 9 months I owned this, I have only ever seen grey/ white smoke.

For a period not long ago, I was also experiencing a ?quivering? RPM, let's say I'm at 50 in 5th, around 1800rpm I believe? The RPM needle would quiver around 50rpm up and down, this would happen normally at a similar time to the grey smoke discharge, and I could feel slight power drops, a little judder in the torque.

I believe this could also be in relation to the 5th injector, or possibly injectors in general as even though it never showed an EML, it did feel like fuel rail pressure momentarily dropping.

Have you experienced this?

Hey,

soo, I also checked my Battery and its also almost brand new and when cold started most of times revs to about 1200 and then drops to 800~ but I think its normal when cold.

I also never seen black smoke and I think its because its the dpf's job to catch the black smoke(not really sure)

To be honest I haven't noticed any quivering like you say but that might be that I don't go on highways often. I have power drops as well and I think it comes with the smoke

My mechanic put Wynn's fuel injector cleaner in my tank to see if it solves anything, I felt like it did something but it might be my imagination. Also I don't have a check engine light and the computer doesn't show anything.

1 minute ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

Hey,

soo, I also checked my battery and its also almost brand new and when cold started most of times revs to about 1200 and then drops to 800~ but I think its normal when cold.

I also never seen black smoke and I think its because its the dpf's job to catch the black smoke(not really sure)

To be honest I haven't noticed any quivering like you say but that might be that I don't go on highways often. I have power drops as well and I think it comes with the smoke

My mechanic put Wynn's fuel injector cleaner in my tank to see if it solves anything, I felt like it did something but it might be my imagination. Also I don't have a check engine light and the computer doesn't show anything.

I'm also looking into things like Terra clean which might be able to flush the ash in the grey smoke out of the DPF. That could possibly be an answer too!

7 minutes ago, Infiniti said:

I'm also looking into things like Terra clean which might be able to flush the ash in the grey smoke out of the DPF. That could possibly be an answer too!

Sadly i had mine removed and clean and still the same but it might be thats what causing your problem.

If I'm not mistaken you can check  the dpfs pressure reading from the ecu and from there you can see if its clogged.

30 minutes ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

Sadly i had mine removed and clean and still the same but it might be thats what causing your problem.

If I'm not mistaken you can check  the dpfs pressure reading from the ecu and from there you can see if its clogged.

Can I do that with an OBD2 reader?

Thank you,

23 minutes ago, Infiniti said:

Can I do that with an OBD2 reader?

Thank you,

To be honest I never used one of the bluetooth obd2 readers before and I don't know what data gives you I've only seen data with my mechanics scan tool.

2 hours ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

To be honest I never used one of the Bluetooth obd2 readers before and I don't know what data gives you I've only seen data with my mechanics scan tool.

I'll definitely go down and have a look, definitely interesting to find out what my levels are!

Thank you, 

• Like 1

The most common issue is the 5th injector that is causing the smoke and bad gas milage. The D4D engines never had any issues with DPF sensor. Cleaning the DPF will fix it but after 20 miles the issue is back because the 5th injector is failing to clean the DPF.

4 hours ago, Infiniti said:

I'll definitely go down and have a look, definitely interesting to find out what my levels are!

Thank you, 

7 hours ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

To be honest I never used one of the Bluetooth obd2 readers before and I don't know what data gives you I've only seen data with my mechanics scan tool.

3 minutes ago, Ikram Shahar said:

The most common issue is the 5th injector that is causing the smoke and bad gas milage. The D4D engines never had any issues with DPF sensor. Cleaning the DPF will fix it but after 20 miles the issue is back because the 5th injector is failing to clean the DPF.

So, in your opinion or the fix is changing the injector?

Yes. My car 2.0 D4D is smoking a lot and im going to replace the 5th injector in a week or two. I will update you guys if it did fix it or not. Infiniti has a 2,2 which is even more known for 5th injector failing. My old car lost its power and was smoking. I took it to to Toyota dealer 5 FREAKING times and they cleaned it everytime and the problem came back after a week. Then i replaced the 5th injector and the DPF and the car ran fine after. 

7 minutes ago, Ikram Shahar said:

Yes. My car 2.0 D4D is smoking a lot and im going to replace the 5th injector in a week or two. I will update you guys if it did fix it or not. Infiniti has a 2,2 which is even more known for 5th injector failing. My old car lost its power and was smoking. I took it to to Toyota dealer 5 FREAKING times and they cleaned it everytime and the problem came back after a week. Then i replaced the 5th injector and the DPF and the car ran fine after. 

I also have the 5th injector in order coming in 2 weeks but please keep us posted

Yes the 5th injector. I opened it last week and the injector is not blocked or anything. I sprayed air from the back of it and nothing came out from the other side. So the injector is bad. I did not replace it becuose i needed the car to run until i want to fix it. Mine injector had a lot of rust on it and that tells me it never had been replaced. Most D4D owners replaced them as a regular service. (ONLY CARS UNDER 2012 HAD THIS ISSUE)

Here is some photos from my cars 5th injector:

Ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse.

Ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse.

I will keep you guys updated. Let me know if it fixed your car

I only need to find a good deal on a 5th injector🙂

4 minutes ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

I also have the 5th injector in order coming in 2 weeks but please keep us posted

18 minutes ago, Ikram Shahar said:

I will keep you guys updated. Let me know if it fixed your car

I only need to find a good deal on a 5th injector🙂

What do you mean by a good deal? I ordered mine from eBay supposedly original denso one 60£ posted 

Toyota here in Cyprus quoted me 450euros

Edited by Mariosskoutaris

Just reseaching and calling my mechanic if he has one or if i can find a spare one. But Mariosskoutaris i just realised if i need to reprogram the car after replacing the injector. I dont think i need to but im quick researching if i have to reprogram the injector.

1 minute ago, Ikram Shahar said:

Just reseaching and calling my mechanic if he has one or if i can find a spare one. But Mariosskoutaris i just realised if i need to reprogram the car after replacing the injector. I dont think i need to but im quick researching if i have to reprogram the injector.

I dont really know if it need to be reprogrammed to be honest but if you find anything let me know

thanks,

After some reseach and watching vidoes. People say you need to reprogram normal injectors that spray diesel into the cylinders need to be reprogammed. No one said about 5th injectors. I really think it has to be reprogrammed becouse if not it wont work correctly. Do you fix it yourself or do you take to a mechanic?

14 minutes ago, Ikram Shahar said:

After some reseach and watching vidoes. People say you need to reprogram normal injectors that spray diesel into the cylinders need to be reprogammed. No one said about 5th injectors. I really think it has to be reprogrammed becouse if not it wont work correctly. Do you fix it yourself or do you take to a mechanic?

Did some research now but I cant find anything on 5th injectors.

I take it to my mechanic

6 minutes ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

Did some research now but I cant find anything on 5th injectors.

I take it to my mechanic

21 minutes ago, Ikram Shahar said:

Any idea where to get one from? Is the 5th different to the other 4 used in the cylinders? 

2 minutes ago, Infiniti said:

Any idea where to get one from? Is the 5th different to the other 4 used in the cylinders? 

Yes the 5th injector is smaller and cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=2371026011&_sacat=61258&_trkparms=pageci%3A1599fec4-b427-11eb-8003-12b38212dccd|parentrq%3A6758efa41790a7b0e2281ba7ffe758c1|iid%3A1