Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF Pressure Sensor causing bad MPG?

Infiniti

I replaced the fifth injector when I had my 180 and it didn't make a difference - smoke levels were still the same and as described on this thread.

I'm no mechanic, however is it possible that the DPF might be reaching the end of it's life? If the ECU think's it's fully saturated, it might well be instructing the fifth injector to regen a lot more often as the DPF's capacity is near full. 

I specifically state "the ECU think's it's fully saturated" as there is a specific menu in tech stream to reset the relevant parts of the ECU when a DPF is replaced. I cannot remember the setting - "DPF load value" / "DPF history" or something like that - it's been years sorry. 

40 minutes ago, Phil_1985 said:

I replaced the fifth injector when I had my 180 and it didn't make a difference - smoke levels were still the same and as described on this thread.

I'm no mechanic, however is it possible that the DPF might be reaching the end of it's life? If the ECU think's it's fully saturated, it might well be instructing the fifth injector to regen a lot more often as the DPF's capacity is near full. 

I specifically state "the ECU think's it's fully saturated" as there is a specific menu in tech stream to reset the relevant parts of the ECU when a DPF is replaced. I cannot remember the setting - "DPF load value" / "DPF history" or something like that - it's been years sorry. 

so, you fixed yours through techstream resseting dpf values or not?

I didn't reset dpf values as the dpf had not been replaced.

If I had the dpf cleaned by a non toyota dealer, I may have considered resetting the value - baring in mind the potential risk of messing the whole thing up which would then ultimately require a new dpf.

I don't know what data the ECU reads in order to calculate the dpf values / lifecycle of it but as an example, if the DPF pressure sensor is used as a data point and the pipes for the sensor are blocked then this could cause all manner of issues - such as potentially injecting extra fuel via the 5th injector causing lots of smoke. This could be because over time the ECU thinks the DPF is reaching the end of it's life so has to regenerate a lot more frequently.

My personal opinion is that the excess smoke is due to poor ecu coding - some sort of data, whether accurate or not is telling the ECU to inject extra fuel to the 5th injector causing poor MPG and excess smoke.

I had the issue for a long time as well as poor MPG. Used to average 35-40mpg but when the smoking problem started it gradually got worse. It averaged 28-33mpg. - during the time I had a new EGR, inlet manifold cleaned and the 5th injector replaced however the issue still remained. 

I ultimately learned to live with the poor MPG and smoke and did for years. 

• Like 1

As my experience with my old car. When my DPF on my old car had 20% life left or is about to go bad. The car was so slow and the car gave me a lot of erros. Usaully when a car has a bad DPF or DPF sensor then the ECU will go into limp mode and the check engine light would come on. And even my new car has the same engine and was as fast as the old one when the old one was fixed. My old car did not smoke or anything when the DPF went. It was just slow. I took it to the dealer many times to clean the DPF and the problem came back after 1 week or less. Then i replaced it and the problem was solved.

But my new car has smoked for 10 months now and no sign of DPF go out. My new car is supossed to go 18,5 km/l but i get 16. For two months ago i chiped tuned it to see if the smoke will go away with new data but the smoke stayed.  

Some people in the comments in this video tells they fixed it by replacing the 5th injector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So-gJJi0WqE

3 minutes ago, Ikram Shahar said:

As my experience with my old car. When my DPF on my old car had 20% life left or is about to go bad. The car was so slow and the car gave me a lot of erros. Usaully when a car has a bad DPF or DPF sensor then the ECU will go into limp mode and the check engine light would come on. And even my new car has the same engine and was as fast as the old one when the old one was fixed. My old car did not smoke or anything when the DPF went. It was just slow. I took it to the dealer many times to clean the DPF and the problem came back after 1 week or less. Then i replaced it and the problem was solved.

But my new car has smoked for 10 months now and no sign of DPF go out. My new car is supossed to go 18,5 km/l but i get 16. For two months ago i chiped tuned it to see if the smoke will go away with new data but the smoke stayed.  

Some people in the comments in this video tells they fixed it by replacing the 5th injector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So-gJJi0WqE

I'm getting very confused and anxious here. What are the signs that a dpf is on its way out?

Car will drive rough and check engine light will be on. The car will also go into limo mode.I drove my car for 10 months to wait until the DPF will go bad. But it never happen

1 minute ago, Ikram Shahar said:

Car will drive rough and check engine light will be on. The car will also go into limo mode.I drove my car for 10 months to wait until the DPF will go bad. But it never happen

thanks, that calmed me down because my car drives perfectly fine and no check engine light at all.

Hope a new injectors sorts it out.

Yeah. Thanks for letting us know your experience Phil 🙂

1 minute ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

thanks, that calmed me down because my car drives perfectly fine and no check engine light at all.

Worth mentioning that the DPF in the Toyota is a DPNR - A DPF and a NOx adsorber-catalyst - unsure if this makes a difference to 'reaching end of life' which may mean volumes of fuel being injected via the 5th injector in an attempt to keep the car running properly until it eventually becomes too saturated.

On 5/20/2021 at 3:33 PM, Ikram Shahar said:

Yeah. Thanks for letting us know your experience Phil 🙂

On 5/20/2021 at 3:32 PM, Mariosskoutaris said:

I have ordered the bolt from Toyota, luckily they still sold them, however I believe they're a pretty generic bolt. Only cost me £1.50 at least!

4 hours ago, Infiniti said:

I have ordered the bolt from Toyota, luckily they still sold them, however I believe they're a pretty generic bolt. Only cost me £1.50 at least!

Thats nice to hear that they didn't make you pay an insane amount of money for a generic bolt.

My injector arrived in my country today, hopefully i can get it on monday and hope for the best.

Nice to hear.

My injector is coming about 7 days

I have a question thar I'm noticing.

When i accelerate hard most of the times there is a lot more smoke.

Curious if you guys have this aswell 

I do have that as well. When the engine gets warm its starts to smoke.

1 minute ago, Ikram Shahar said:

I do have that as well. When the engine gets warm its starts to smoke.

Yes, exactly. 

Just to update, I filled up with fuel yesterday. My new bolt and injector should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday, and I'm planning on doing it Saturday afternoon.

However, this tank of fuel I drove about 270/ 350 miles with the 5th injector unplugged, and my MPG was 40.5. I normally average 37/38. Also I have driven more short journeys on this tank. For the first 80ish miles of this tank my injector was connected, and my car registered my average consumption as 34. So it's still quite a big jump.

My drive home last night, straight after filling up, my car read my average MPG as 45mpg (mainly 50mph average speed check). Normally on this drive after filling up I average 41mpg. (It's my shorter journeys which pull my tank average down).

So even when I have the 5th injector running on Saturday, I'm hoping I won't see the return of the white smoke, and I'm hoping my MPG is at least halfway between now, and the old injector!

I can only hope, and I hope this might help you guys a bit more!

(I'm definitely expecting my DPF to do a regen almost instantly with the new injector installed, I didn't want to drive this much as it will be slowly clogging it, but I had to do what I had to do I guess!)

Hi,

My injector arrived today and I made an appointment with my mechanic for Friday morning.

Lets hope for the best.

27 minutes ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

Hi,

My injector arrived today and I made an appointment with my mechanic for Friday morning.

Lets hope for the best.

I wish you luck!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Infiniti said:

I wish you luck!

quick question. 

when you had your injector disconnected was there any check engine light on?

When i drove it disconnected there was no check engine light. 

Another question to Phil. What is a DPNR? 🙂

11 minutes ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

quick question. 

1 hour ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

quick question. 

1 hour ago, Ikram Shahar said:

When i drove it disconnected there was no check engine light. 

Another question to Phil. What is a DPNR? 🙂

Weirdly, mine is telling me that the 5th injector is disconnected, and turns off traction control.

Quick question, 

Is there a seal that goes with the injector or not and if so i can find one to buy?

Thanks

There should come a seal with the injector, but if not you could just use the old one. Since its always lubricated. My injector should come tomorrow 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

Quick question, 

Is there a seal that goes with the injector or not and if so i can find one to buy?

Thanks

Hey,

I had this same thought. There is a small copper O ring which goes on the injector to keep it sealed, make sure you give it a clean if there is any carbon build-up, as this will also let you see if it is damage or cracked at all, if it is, buy a new one. If it looks alright I'm planning on reusing it.

🙂