Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid alloy wheels

stevecrvn

I have 2 alloys on my 2015 Hybrid which are breaking down really badly due chipping, curb rash before I had the car  and causing  damp under the mirror surface. Has anyone had these refurbed or could should I consider buying 4 alloy wheels off a mk 3 Yaris that were not the mirror finish . How would I be able to  sort the TMPS if I went down this route  would the garage be able to swop the valves from the old wheels without having to recode ?

image.thumb.png.04a2a0bc28f9203adbe6157cbf67a254.pngimage.thumb.png.5825265a8c39351a5b40ecd7d5d91eca.png

It's known as diamond cut finish or polished they look like they have been refurbed before

you can get used replacements for £40-50, For a refurb you're looking £60-80 a wheel from a place like lepsons or chips away

TPMS sensors have a life of 5-7 years before the Battery dies, the Autel sensors arn't bad for the money and about half the cost of the oem

Programming can be hit and miss

• Thanks 1

I had a rav 4 T180 that had much the same damage as yours and I re furnished them myself I broke the tyre bead at a local tyre fitters then masked the tyre and used a disc sander with a 120 grit disc in a pistol drill to get the worst damage out don’t concentrate the sander in one place though as you will finish up with hollows you can get a filler for alloy wheels for the worst bits then I used various grades of wet and dry starting with 240 and finishing with 800 grit.

I then sprayed them with etch primer then a primer filler and finishing with 3 or 4 coats of alloy wheel spray and then the lacquer  available on eBay. It’s hard work though and you will be without the cars use for couple of days.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

I had a rav 4 T180 that had much the same damage as yours and I re furnished them myself I broke the tyre bead at a local tyre fitters then masked the tyre and used a disc sander with a 120 grit disc in a pistol drill to get the worst damage out don’t concentrate the sander in one place though as you will finish up with hollows you can get a filler for alloy wheels for the worst bits then I used various grades of wet and dry starting with 240 and finishing with 800 grit.

I then sprayed them with etch primer then a primer filler and finishing with 3 or 4 coats of alloy wheel spray and then the lacquer  available on eBay. It’s hard work though and you will be without the cars use for couple of days.

Thanks Will considering that as I am no too worried on keeping the mirror finish It just so annoying they have gone bad . The alloy wheels on my 17 year old Panda 4X4 look in better shape 

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's known as diamond cut finish or polished they look like they have been refurbed before

you can get used replacements for £40-50, For a refurb you're looking £60-80 a wheel from a place like lepsons or chips away

TPMS sensors have a life of 5-7 years before the battery dies, the Autel sensors arn't bad for the money and about half the cost of the oem

Programming can be hit and miss

Bob they looked really good when I bought the car nearly 2years ago but quickly started to go white in places 

Wonder what you been bashing to get the marks near the wheel nuts???  It looks like the wheel protrudes outwards from the rim area, hence the curbing marks. Whether tyres with protective rubber ring would help. Its annoying when wheels are designed like that, but at the end of the day its driver error due to kerbing.

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

Wonder what you been bashing to get the marks near the wheel nuts???  It looks like the wheel protrudes outwards from the rim area, hence the curbing marks. Whether tyres with protective rubber ring would help. Its annoying when wheels are designed like that, but at the end of the day its driver error due to kerbing.

Joe I think as Bob said they have been previously refurbished and damp has got under the lacquer . They look worse by the day