Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Program a used key?

SimonInd

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and Toyota, having just purchased a 2017 Avensis. It's only got one key so to have a second am I right in thinking I can reprogram a used similar remote key (e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184305681799 ) using a mini VCI cable and the Techstream softrware?

I'm comfortable with technology so am happy having a go at DIY before resorting to a dealer replacement which I'm guessing will be > £200

I'll also need to get a new blade cut - presumably any locksmith can do that?

Thanks
Simon

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 11:42 AM, SimonInd said:

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and Toyota, having just purchased a 2017 Avensis. It's only got one key so to have a second am I right in thinking I can reprogram a used similar remote key (e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184305681799 ) using a mini VCI cable and the Techstream softrware?

I'm comfortable with technology so am happy having a go at DIY before resorting to a dealer replacement which I'm guessing will be > £200

I'll also need to get a new blade cut - presumably any locksmith can do that?

Thanks
Simon

i see a few blank key on eBay but have to make sure you get the right one plus mabe better buying a couple blanks incase the locksmith makes a mistske .i seen this on youtube if any good 

Thanks, video looks helpful, I've ordered a cable from china so I'll see if I can get a laptop connecting as a first step

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SimonInd said:

Thanks, video looks helpful, I've ordered a cable from china so I'll see if I can get a laptop connecting as a first step

ive tried how did u get a blank key to fit that key fob as ive looked on eBay and cant see any. i see since this cronavirus those cables are not cheap as i bought my techsteam v15 and cable cheaper .i bought another cable as well a TACTRIX OPENPORT 2.0 which is good.if you dont have techstream. buy yourself a cheap Samsung MZ-7PC128D 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive SSD Hard Drive i got one for £14 quid i think as i put on windows 7 32 bit on it as i find techstream works better .then u alll have to do is change over ur ssd into your laptop that will have tech stream on it .let me know how u fair out. i was half thinking of getting another spare key. i already have 2 with the car but was going to give one to the wife to have and have another spare one