Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air con temperature and operation

MikeSh

I've had this 2018 hybrid for only a couple of months and the weather hasn't been exactly warm, but with an eye on summer approaching (hopefully) I felt the aircon was a bit feeble so booked it for a check.

However, waiting in the car for someone today I had more of a play and found that you have to actually turn the a/c on with that button. With other cars I've had for several years now pressing the auto button for climate control means the car will use all available resources, but the Yaris doesn't seem to do this. The handbook is somewhat vague of course.

Is my understanding correct?

If yes, the next question is - Will leaving the a/c 'on' all the time matter? Will it run all the time and use the heater to compensate, or will the auto aspect just use it when it actually needs cooling? (Ie. The green light is merely an enabled/available indication, not actually on.)

(I've cancelled the check as it does blow fairly cold now.)

The latter half of your assumption is correct. Just leave it "on" all the time and the system will use/not use it as required by the ambient temperature. I am now on my third Yaris Hybrid with climate control and with all of them, I have left the a/c switch on all the time and controlled the temperature in the normal way. It also keeps the whole system well lubricated that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CPN said:

The latter half of your assumption is correct. Just leave it "on" all the time and the system will use/not use it as required by the ambient temperature. I am now on my third Yaris Hybrid with climate control and with all of them, I have left the a/c switch on all the time and controlled the temperature in the normal way. It also keeps the whole system well lubricated that way.

Cheers. I hoped that would be the case ... but you know what they say about assumptions. I can now brief SWMBO accordingly.

And to parrot Colin. Yes, the a.c. button has to be "on" along with "auto".

Mine just stays on all year. "AC" on, "AUTO" on and set to "20degCentipede" (or your preference). Also on a hot day when the car's interior temp. is high, the recirc. function operates automatically until the cabin temp. has reduced.

If the "DUAL" function is needed, press that button and control each side, left and right, separately.

I am another who leaves air con on auto all year with no problems.

Thanks all.

Yes, I normally just leave everything on/auto all year too. I was just a bit thrown by this unusual button operation compared with 3 or 4 other makes I've had since climate control became common.