Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 RAV4 - More issues... (Help!)

GTB.photographic

Another cry for help...

My wife's RAV4 is currently a distinctly unhappy car. 

After my car (not a Toyota) broke down & was recovered, I went to move my wife's car, only to find the Battery was too low to start the car (was trying, but failing to turn the engine over). The Recovery guy, being helpful, plugged in a starter pack - unfortunately he connected it up the wrong way round.  The car now refuses to lock or unlock via the key buttons (although will obviously still unlock the drivers door manually). Put the key in and turn it, and the dashboard lights up, but the car just clicks. No starter motor trying to turn over the engine or anything. I'm assuming that a fuse or something has blown and that the immobiliser is preventing the car from starting, but I'm far from 100% - the Battery seems to be ok (it's been trickle charged since Monday morning and seems to be retaining charge ok - headlights work ok and don't seem dim for example).

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong, and how to fix it. If it's more than just a fuse, or something quick & simple, I suspect I'll be speaking to the breakdown company about fixing it.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.  

A fuse sounds quite probable, but why haven't you complained to the breakdown company yet?

• Thanks 1

I’d start with the engine fuse boxes, this should help:

https://fuse-box.info/toyota/toyota-rav4-xa20-2001-2005-fuses-and-relay/amp

While ideally you would have hoped the recovery guy would have located the blown fuse and handed over a spare along with his apologies, it could equally be argued that the fault may have been pre-existing as the car had been left unused for an extended period. If it’s a few pence for a fuse, it saves the agro, so I can see the attraction of checking the basics yourself.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GTB.photographic said:

The Recovery guy, being helpful, plugged in a starter pack - unfortunately he connected it up the wrong way round.

Really!

OK, there's a nice little video on YouTube here: What happens when you Jump Start your car the WRONG WAY! He demonstrates with a poor little Fiat but the principle is exactly the same and the symptoms may feel similar. There are plenty of similar videos ...

With reversed polarity the system attempts to short through the alternator rectifier circuitry - there will be one or more fuses to prevent that and these will have blown (probably).

He talks of replacing the "power train" fuses - I believe on the RAV the fuses are described as ALT (alternator). I could very well be wrong, but I'd start there ... 😉

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 8:23 AM, IanML said:

A fuse sounds quite probable, but why haven't you complained to the breakdown company yet?

2 reasons mainly - proof & hassle. If the recovery guy denies connecting the Battery pack at all or denies hooking it up the wrong way, it's his word against mine. If the issue is cheap & simple to fix, I'd rather not go down that route. I suspect that going via the breakdown / recovery service will take time - if the issue is quick & simple to fix, then I should have the car back on the road sooner than if I wait for the recovery company to decide what to do.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:51 AM, Avalon said:

While ideally you would have hoped the recovery guy would have located the blown fuse and handed over a spare along with his apologies, it could equally be argued that the fault may have been pre-existing as the car had been left unused for an extended period. If it’s a few pence for a fuse, it saves the agro, so I can see the attraction of checking the basics yourself.

Whilst the Battery was too low to start the car, it has been used recently - my wife usually uses it 2-3 days per week. Unfortunately she drives like an OAP and only does very short trips (she uses the car to commute around a mile each way - she's disabled and unable to walk the distance or go by bus).  As a result, the car never seems to keep a charge long term (unless I give it a decent run, or drive it a bit more vigorously than she does). Not sure if that's potentially a Battery issue or if there's a drain on the system - but that's a whole different set of issues...

Thanks for the link - greatly appreciated 🙂

On 5/14/2021 at 12:17 PM, philip42h said:

Really!

OK, there's a nice little video on YouTube here: What happens when you Jump Start your car the WRONG WAY! He demonstrates with a poor little Fiat but the principle is exactly the same and the symptoms may feel similar. There are plenty of similar videos ...

With reversed polarity the system attempts to short through the alternator rectifier circuitry - there will be one or more fuses to prevent that and these will have blown (probably).

He talks of replacing the "power train" fuses - I believe on the RAV the fuses are described as ALT (alternator). I could very well be wrong, but I'd start there ... 😉

Brilliant - thanks for that 🙂

If ever there was a prime candidate for an electric vehicle this could be it - cost aside of course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is this part called & is it worth repairing (replacing the burnt out elements) or just replacing?

20210526_172920.jpg

20210526_172902.jpg

20210526_172408.jpg

20210526_172607.jpg

Is this what you are looking for: Genuine Toyota RAV4 Fusible Link Block Assembly Box 2000-2005 8262042030 (eBay link)

Yours looks as though it has suffered a previous bodge repair - probably best replaced!

Edit: Oops, no ... that looks like an empty box to hold the Fusible Link? ... you [also] need the Fusible Link! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

Is this what you are looking for: Genuine Toyota RAV4 Fusible Link Block Assembly Box 2000-2005 8262042030 (eBay link)

Yours looks as though it has suffered a previous bodge repair - probably best replaced!

Edit: Oops, no ... that looks like an empty box to hold the Fusible Link? ... you [also] need the Fusible Link! 

Cool - thanks. I'll see what I can find 🙂