Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System

CPN

This concerning the system in the title and as described on Page 78 of the manual...

image.thumb.png.a62f985193c07e6d8be33e2307eb26fc.png

My wife and I first heard/noticed this today when moving slowing backwards and forwards in our driveway. (my wife first as I was still in the car) What a weird sound it is! How Toyota thought it was a good idea to simulate a sound that sounds more like rubbing/clanging brake pads is beyond me! No, I don't have a fault and yes, it definitely is emitted from the front of the vehicle (as described in the manual) but what a strange sound to pick on to "alert" pedestrians/people near the vehicle when it is moving at very slow speed under EV power only (no ICE running). Has anyone else heard/noticed it yet and thought that there was a fault with the vehicle? I'll be ringing CS at Toyota GB on Monday to give them some feedback that they may not want to hear about this particular "feature"!!

Compulsory on new electric/hybrid vehicles with new Type Approval from July 2019, and on all new electric/hybrid vehicles from July 2021.

Pinned topic in General Discussions.

Yes, I knew about the legislation Mike but I had yet to actually hear it with my own ears and I have to say that it is a VERY misleading sound in the case of our Yaris Hybrid. In fact my wife (when she heard it) banged on the window (I still had the radio on - probably why I've never heard it lol!) and told me to turn the radio off and listen as she thought there was something wrong with the car! After a few low speed back and forth manoeuvres on EV only (just got back from a 45 mile drive so the ICE and everything else was fully up to temperature), I realised what it was and it is such a strange kind of sound for them to choose? It's very difficult to describe but one way would be that it sounds like a string of tin cans tied to the back of the car bouncing on the tarmac would sound but heavily muffled as if they are in the distance! Really weird.

Sounds like the noise would make pedestrians look to see what’s making it - job done.

13 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Sounds like the noise would make pedestrians look to see what’s making it - job done.

I get your point Joe but does it really need to sound like a faulty car?

Someone in, I think, the C-HR forum thought there was something wrong with their car when they heard it. 

It's the sound of electric sheep 😉

I had an Hyundai Kona Electric until recently. The artificial sound on that was quite strange. I believe the legislation requires certain frequencies at specified volumes to be present, but beyond/within that manufacturers can make it their own - like body styling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reminds me of my favourite tagline and famous book "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?" 🤣

14 minutes ago, CPN said:

Reminds me of my favourite tagline and famous book "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?" 🤣

Yeah, it would have worked better if Frosty hadn't got in just before I posted 😒

55 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Yeah, it would have worked better if Frosty hadn't got in just before I posted 😒

Never mind. He has a habit of doing that 😉 but you were well intentioned! 😁

iirc one of the Kia hybrids/electrics makes a sound like a train pulling out of a station

American video but it sounds the same as the yaris

I can’t see what’s wrong with a quick press on the horn as I do when behind pedestrians when in ev which is the purpose of the horn to let another road user know that you are there but I suppose if they cant use there indicators!! They won’t be able to use the horn.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:27 PM, flash22 said:

iirc one of the Kia hybrids/electrics makes a sound like a train pulling out of a station

American video but it sounds the same as the yaris

Indeed it does!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links