Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2016 hybrid blurry camera

JanisLP

Here's what my camera looks like, appears to be getting worst as time goes past. First one is late afternoon and 2nd is just at sunset.

And no I didn't blur the number plate, that's the camera, its been like this after the recent downpours.

20210520_200502.thumb.jpg.2232af1d10e42d42d303798cdf47745d.jpg20210519_225104.thumb.jpg.6b97742f489821fe310e64a0c5fa8c79.jpg

7 hours ago, roks said:

Here's what my camera looks like, appears to be getting worst as time goes past.

That is very similar to how both ours have gone.  One has been replaced under warranty, the second isn't in warranty.

The water enters around the rim of the clear plastic lens - I've put a drop of isopropyl alcohol on the lens and have watched it creep past the internal seal and into the camera in just a few seconds.  The internal seal, grey with age (?), turns black as it becomes damp.

As the camera becomes damp over and over again, if your water is 'hard', then a layer of mineral build-up behind the lens will start to make the camera contrast worsen.  I have had some success with cutting a piece of clear greenhouse repair tape (Wilkos, about £1.50 when I last looked) to fit over the camera end, but with a large hole carefully cut in the middle (fiddly!).  I had a piece of steel tube that was the correct size, and used this as a hole cutter as it had a sharp edge.  This certainly helps prevent further ingress with ours.  But the reduced contrast, if that has occurred, will remain.

I specifically request that the servicing dealer does not wash the car - a pressure washer makes this much, much worse, and I understand that doing this  will invalidate the warranty on Ford for their car cameras, for instance, someone reported on the Kuga forum.

If anyone has an old one that I could have, then I would be delighted to take it to pieces to see what can be done to waterproof an old one.

This thread might help, although the greenhouse tape 'repair' came later...

The cameras on the facelift models (after 2015) have a fractionally different-shaped lens, which is convex, perhaps these are better sealed?  My warranty replaced one was identical to the original, which was not what I had expected given the above.

• Like 1

One reason never to go to those hand car washes, they're very brutal with jet washers!

• Like 1

Thanks Gerg for the link, I will take a look.

Will a facelift camera fit or will have to be a exact part to replace.

36 minutes ago, roks said:

Will a facelift camera fit or will have to be a exact part to replace.

I can't see any reason why a later one wouldn't fit, but I don't have much evidence for that beyond looking at them!

Just to recap, the boot handle/trim that the camera sits under has to come off to remove the camera.  I have not taken that bit off myself, just repaired the dealer errors that relate to it. 

For the handle to come off, the complete interior hatch/door trim comes off as well.  Not least because when the rear lights mounted on the hatch (which also have to come off) are removed, their seals don't work second time around, so both my rear lights leaked chronically after that repair at the dealers. 

As you can see, this repair involved four or five trips to the dealers when you include diagnosis visits as well.  But, on the upside, at least they didn't break anything off; just mangled the boot interior handle up whilst trying to lever it off, and lost some trim clips inside the boot door cavity.  And didn't put the exterior handle back on correctly. 

I try not to use that dealer any more.

Cameras

2009-13 - 86790-02010

10/2012 - 05/2015 -  86790-02030

05/2015 onwards - 86790-02120

the wagon/estate/tourer uses a different camera

• 3 weeks later...

What trim version do you have?

What media unit do you have?

I have the Toyota Touch 2 with Go system on a 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback.

In the setting menu, you can change camera brightness and contrast. (My cars previous owner had changed those settings). Putting them back to defaults improved the screen video and reverse camera view considerably for me. 

Give it a go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaddyBaddy said:

What trim version do you have?

What media unit do you have?

I have the Toyota Touch 2 with Go system on a 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback.

In the setting menu, you can change camera brightness and contrast. (My cars previous owner had changed those settings). Putting them back to defaults improved the screen video and reverse camera view considerably for me. 

Give it a go. 

yes,on my one its same,i changed brightness and contrast a bit higher and looks a bit better . 👍