Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021 rav4 dynamic hybrid

roger_37

thinking of buying the above,anything to look out for 

bad points ect ect?

must be alright so, any problems with the CVT gearbox first one i have.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:02 AM, roger_37 said:

must be alright so, any problem with the  CVT gearbox first one i have.

It's not really a CVT gearbox (OK so it is) but it serves to marry the outputs from the petrol and electric motors and it is essential to the operation and performance of the Toyota hybrid system. So, no, absolutely no problems with the CVT gearbox.

It's a RAV - transition from an ICE RAV to a hybrid RAV is a no brainer. The cruise control is no longer on the little stick we know and love - it's on a button on the steering wheel and it's now radar cruise control ... much cleverer and takes a wee bit of getting used to.

Like all Toyotas it has a number of "oh why did they do thats?" - just the joy of owning a Toyota and something to get used to ... I'll leave you to discover what they are for you ... 🙂

I preferred the Excel spec, but the Dynamic is, probably, smarter looking ... you pays your money ...

As long as you've had a test drive and like the way the hybrid system drives - it's just different from ICE - it's 'perfect' and there's nothing at all to look out for ... 

On 5/15/2021 at 11:03 AM, philip42h said:

It's not really a CVT gearbox (OK so it is) but it serves to marry the outputs from the petrol and electric motors and it is essential to the operation and performance of the Toyota hybrid system. So, no, absolutely no problems with the CVT gearbox.

It's a RAV - transition from an ICE RAV to a hybrid RAV is a no brainer. The cruise control is no longer on the little stick we know and love - it's on a button on the steering wheel and it's now radar cruise control ... much cleverer and takes a wee bit of getting used to.

Like all Toyotas it has a number of "oh why did they do thats?" - just the joy of owning a Toyota and something to get used to ... I'll leave you to discover what they are for you ... 🙂

I preferred the Excel spec, but the Dynamic is, probably, smarter looking ... you pays your money ...

As long as you've had a test drive and like the way the hybrid system drives - it's just different from ICE - it's 'perfect' and there's nothing at all to look out for ... 

thanks, philip42h for a good reply much appreciated.

hope to have the rav4 by end of this month, this will be the first auto i have owned, so all learning curve .

Just remember to pack a clean set of underwear for anyone behind you when you go for the clutch pedal the first time.

🤣🤣 good one ... well i have drove on the test drive with left bent knee,

it went ok ,but time will tell.

Most owners, me included, really enjoy driving this car. All the basic systems work very well and make no demands on the driver so its probably the easiest car I have ever driven ( and that's a huge number! ). Just to add a slightly contentious afterthought, I prefer to use left foot braking in automatics because of the ultimate control at creeping speed and the faster emergency reaction if needed. Well worth learning this in my opinion but this is not a car that ever behaves unpredictably.

The issue of engine noise at speed is quite a common complaint but this is really because of the contrast between the very quiet low speed operation and the noise when the engine cuts in due to higher power demand. Its not quite a luxury cruiser with huge amount of sound deadening etc., for that you would buy the Lexus equivalent and pay accordingly.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:09 AM, roadster-rav said:

Most owners, me included, really enjoy driving this car. All the basic systems work very well and make no demands on the driver so its probably the easiest car I have ever driven ( and that's a huge number! ). Just to add a slightly contentious afterthought, I prefer to use left foot braking in automatics because of the ultimate control at creeping speed and the faster emergency reaction if needed. Well worth learning this in my opinion but this is not a car that ever behaves unpredictably.

The issue of engine noise at speed is quite a common complaint but this is really because of the contrast between the very quiet low speed operation and the noise when the engine cuts in due to higher power demand. Its not quite a luxury cruiser with huge amount of sound deadening etc., for that you would buy the Lexus equivalent and pay accordingly.

thanks for the information roadster-rav .

On 5/16/2021 at 10:09 AM, roadster-rav said:

... prefer to use left foot braking in automatics...

I beg to differ...
I have driven probably over 40 different cars, mostly manual transmissions.
That means, that my left leg is "calibrated" over the years for a totally different force compared to my right leg, which is only used for subtile gas and power assisted brakes operation.
If you know what I mean...

The first thing the dealer told me when I took delivery of my new Rav4.5 was:

Put your left foot on the footrest and keep it there!!

And I think he is right.
Also, I see no difference in reaction time with moving your right foot from the gas to the brakes, or moving your left foot from the footrest.

For the rest, I agree. Very nice car.

Don't worry about seemingly unrelated engine sound to speed, the car's computers make sure the engine always runs at the most efficient RPM.

My €0,02.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:28 AM, Thermal said:

I beg to differ...
I have driven probably over 40 different cars, mostly manual transmissions.
That means, that my left leg is "calibrated" over the years for a totally different force compared to my right leg, which is only used for subtile gas and power assisted brakes operation.
If you know what I mean...

The first thing the dealer told me when I took delivery of my new RAV4.5 was:

Put your left foot on the footrest and keep it there !

And I think he is right.
Also, I see no difference in reaction time with moving your right foot from the gas to the brakes, or moving your left foot from the footrest.

For the rest, I agree. Very nice car.

Don't worry about seemingly unrelated engine sound to speed, the car's computers make sure the engine always runs at the most efficient RPM.

My €0,02.

thanks for that taken on board🙂

On 5/18/2021 at 9:28 AM, Thermal said:

Put your left foot on the footrest and keep it there!!

And I think he is right.

Yes, indeed, and if you have to use a manual transmission on occasion, you will not have any confusion of feet.

The recognised recommended use of feet in an automatic is the continue to use the right foot for accelerator and brake, the left foot stays on the foot rest.

In a previous topic a lady claimed that her new RAV4 came to an emergency stop, when the car's camera system spotted a painted bicycle sign on the road.
She also claimed, that this happened again on the exact same location and the car was completely blocked. Prove was submitted to Toyota UK Tech (probably an ECU log dump) by the dealer and even a Dashcam video to support her claim.
Bad car! Unreliable, etc. 🤬

Toyota took these incidents seriously and had a good look at the submitted Log.
(Which is a real Black Box and contains a lot more information than you dare imagine)
So, after research the Log showed, that the lady stood on the brakes with both feet.

They had a "good conversation".

Back to the footrest.  Good car, very reliable. 😁 👍

http:// https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/194793-hybrid-shuddering-stop/#comments

• Like 1

getting tow bar factory fitted from dealer before shipment,

hope to have it 10 june ,but we,ll see

I know people who swear by left foot braking on auto’s, they tend to be people who have driven auto’s predominantly. It’s not something I have felt the need to do, also I’m not sure the RAV quite fits the profile of a car that will respond favourably to being pushed hard, let alone warrant left foot braking, but I suppose I could be wrong.

I've owned or used a lot of cars over the years with probably 50% being automatics. I tried using the left foot for braking but found it pretty alien I also found that switching back to a manual was so much more difficult.  As people have said above, left foot on the rest and right foot does both acceleration and braking.

I would think that if you have never driven a manual and don't intend to then using the left foot might 'feel' more natural.

@roger_37, do you have the MyT tracking app ?  The Dionysos Leader is due into Portbury, Bristol on 25th May maybe your car is onboard, That's a RORO from Japan.

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I've owned or used a lot of cars over the years with probably 50% being automatics. I tried using the left foot for braking but found it pretty alien I also found that switching back to a manual was so much more difficult.  As people have said above, left foot on the rest and right foot does both acceleration and braking.

I would think that if you have never driven a manual and don't intend to then using the left foot might 'feel' more natural.

@roger_37, do you have the MyT tracking app ?  The Dionysos Leader is due into Portbury, Bristol on 25th May maybe your car is onboard, That's a RORO from Japan.

hi Ernie, not driven a lot of  automatics, mostly manuals looking forward to the new challenge.

dont have myt tracking app will look into it, thanks for the heads up. 

On 5/15/2021 at 2:08 PM, Avalon said:

Just remember to pack a clean set of underwear for anyone behind you when you go for the clutch pedal the first time.

so i'm not the only one who nearly shot their passenger through the windscreen on the test drive when i went for the clutch and stamped on the brakes🤣🤣

22 minutes ago, BigR1ch said:

so i'm not the only one who nearly shot their passenger through the windscreen on the test drive when i went for the clutch and stamped on the brakes🤣🤣

Not done it in the RAV (yet to be let loose on the new one in the family despite being a named driver), but I remember the first time I got in an auto and did exactly that. The significant other drives an auto, so I’ve been used to jumping from one to the other for years now, but in the beginning it can catch you out. That said, i’m now a sucker for a flappy paddle gearbox 😄

I think that most people who’ve transitioned from manual to auto gearboxes will have experienced the misplaced left foot hard on the brakes.  When you think about the force you normally use to de clutch then it’s no wonder really.

• Thanks 1

what is the difference between the dynamic, and the design, as the later one i have  ordered now coming on the 18th July

1 hour ago, roger_37 said:

what is the difference between the dynamic, and the design, as the later one i have  ordered now coming on the 18th July

So, was it the Design or Dynamic that you asked about / ordered / are waiting for? And is it FWD or AWDi? FWD models seem to take longer ...

The best way to check out the difference is to use Toyota's online Compare tool - which I used just now to create the attached PDF (for AWDi models):

rav4 range.pdf

3 minutes ago, philip42h said:

So, was it the Design or Dynamic that you asked about / ordered / are waiting for? And is it FWD or AWDi? FWD models seem to take longer ...

The best way to check out the difference is to use Toyota's online Compare tool - which I used just now to create the attached PDF (for AWDi models):

rav4 range.pdf 155.41 kB · 0 downloads

it was the design, i asked about in the awdi configuration, that i ordered, was trying to  compare it to the Dynamic that i used for the wrong title.

thanks  Philip

• 2 weeks later...

Picked mine up Thursday , really enjoying the car ive never been a fan of CVT but toyota ECVT is a total different animal love it smooth. the Entertainment system is a bit outdated but  does everything I need it to do has Apple CarPlay but I usually play music through bluetooth anyway  There’s not really any negatives I know I’ve only had the car three days, after moving from a Merc a class the RAV4 It’s like being sat in an armchair 👍

• Like 1

My new Dynamic has just landed at the dealers as my little grandson was only too please to let me know while I was down South visiting family.

Hopefully picking it up on Wednesday 👍

BBD4F7CA-D2F2-4EC4-B067-0864402419EF.jpeg

17D5F855-31BE-4F73-8C45-906AD1A1E8A5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1