Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CD player

Bertie999

Just bought a new RAV4, my fourth RAV!  So far very impressed.  I knew it had no CD player but have subsequently read that a USB connected CD player would work.  Bought one from Amazon that said it was car compatible but it was not recognized by the RAV.  Any suggestions?  I do not really want to go through the effort of copying a load of CDs onto my phone or a USB stick.

Hi Rob, is there more then one usb port?     I reckon you will have more then one usb port, give it a go.

So the CD player you purchased was it ADV-USBCD compatible? (Essentially makes the CD player look like a USB storage device)

1 hour ago, Bertie999 said:

Just bought a new RAV4, my fourth RAV!  So far very impressed.  I knew it had no CD player but have subsequently read that a USB connected CD player would work.  Bought one from Amazon that said it was car compatible but it was not recognized by the RAV.  Any suggestions?  I do not really want to go through the effort of copying a load of CDs onto my phone or a USB stick.

To Joe's point above, there are two USB charging ports inside the console box and a further two USB charging ports to the rear of the console. These are charging ports only - none of these are connected to the audio system.

The single USB port on the centre console just below the audio system is the only port that is connected to the audio system that you can use as a direct input ...

Where do you have the CD player connected?

There should be a 3.5mm jack socket next to the USB (2013 not sure about later models) try a jack lead from your portable CD player that will work. You will need to select Aux as the input. You wont be able to skip tracks etc on the steering wheel and there wont be much functionality as essentially you are just using the car as a set of Speakers!

My parents asked a similar question only yesterday. Explaining that it’s nearly 30 years since the mp3 was a thing and that it would be so much easier to let me extract/encode CD’s over to a USB drive taking a few minutes per disc and just update things periodically so they could touch the display and choose an album etc. was greeted with positivity. I mean what reasonable person wants a power/data feed over two cables and a janky optical drive set-up whirring away that needs the disc changing every 70ish minutes when they are trying to enjoy music? It’s a horrible solution to a problem that doesn’t need to exist.

• Like 1

I agree with Alex in post above, USB is the way to go. Takes a few minutes to transfer music from a cd. Once all your music is onto a usb I would back it up somewhere, onto a a hard drive maybe of another usb, or both. Belts and braces come into mind.

• Like 1

Definitely the best route is USB drive.

As you bought your CD drive from Amazon it might be worth sending it back and getting a decent USB drive. (If it’s stocked and sold by Amazon there are never any issues if it’s a marketplace order you’d need to to contact the supplier but as it does not work with your head unit I can not see there being an issue)

The touch2 system does not have the drivers for a USB CD drive, the ADV-USBCD is hit and miss as it uses emulation

The bigger problem is 90-95% of external cd drives are not damped so do not have any shock resistance that's fine if it's an audio CD - but a CD being emulated it may cause issues

it really isn't that difficult to rip (import) a CD to MP3 you can even do it with Windows Media Player, its very simple to do with iTunes - A 16gb stick will hold the equivalent to 3-5 days of constant play, 2000-3000 tracks or 100-170 albums

Missed the year date, same as my order.  I’m going to use the single USB and my Android phone.  I’ve installed an app  called Powerapp.  This allows you to transfer your music to the internal or micro SD.  This way I can use Android Auto (Waze) and music as the Poweramp app is compatible with AA.