Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV 4 2021 Sat Nav worth it as option?

Trackpad

Hi all, 

is it worth ticking the box for the sat nav option given that you can mirror your phone without it? 

Are there other features included that make it worthwhile? Here in Germany it costs 890 euro to add. (I have read the options booklet but want real life opinions 👍

cheers 

I have the satnav in mine but rarely use it. I prefer to use Waze. 

• Like 1

Use Waze or Google - far better!

What’s the option cost? When it comes to selling on, it may be perceived as being a nice to have. In general Waze, Google maps, Apple maps in that order as onboard navigation is always out of date by comparison.

Plus on board maps cost you annually to keep up to date and even with a couple of updates per year they can be out of date very fast. 

A phone cradle is far better and cheaper to be honest. I cannot see any advantage with OEM Navis apart from tidiness. Just my opinion 🙂

thanks for the replies folks! 

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

Plus on board maps cost you annually to keep up to date

Think new Toyotas come with three years free updates.

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think new Toyotas come with three years free updates.

My 66plate Prius got free upgrades for 3 years. Took advantage of it but not bothered since, too expensive. Could buy a new TomTom/Garmin every year for what it’s cost, and Waze is pretty good for no cost too.

• Like 2

I have the Satnav as an option but only becuase ACP and AA weren't available at the time. Now i have ACP and AA I only use Waze or Google Maps for navigation so if i was buying now, I wouldn't spec it as its not worth it as Waze and Google Maps not the socks off the Toyota satnav.

Hope that helps

Waze for me too...my wife has the "built in" satnav in her Yaris...seems ok....yet she still uses her TomTom.?..go figure.

Maybe when it comes to trading in/selling the factory fit satnav will prove an attraction.?

thanks again all, can anyone confirm that the RSA system is not part of the nav?

It appears not to be but in the brochure there seems to be an overlap with the traffic camera recognition in both the nav description and the safety sense parts. 

The only good thing about the Toyota built in sat nav is that it does show the turn directions in front of you on the multi information display(below the speedometer) . But If I had to pay extra for it would not bother as others have said Waze is far better  also shows actual speed of car and other useful info such as potholes.

@Rosgoe, definitely agree that Waze is the way to go, owned by Google but powered by people who report, cameras, breakdowns, potholes, accidents and delays etc. We find it so useful when driving up the M1, any incidents are quickly reported and delays instantly update your ETA and monitor the situation.

In fairness, the Toyota system also reports speed/camera warnings, this is vaguely useful (when current) as people don’t always have phones running Waze when driving.

On 5/17/2021 at 5:43 PM, Trackpad said:

thanks again all, can anyone confirm that the RSA system is not part of the nav?

It appears not to be but in the brochure there seems to be an overlap with the traffic camera recognition in both the nav description and the safety sense parts. 

I had a demo without Sat Nav and that still read the road signs and displayed them on the dash, so from that you don't need the Nav.

Cheers 👍

The Road Sign Assist is worked from the camera in the centre of the screen. Nothing to do with the sat nav. Point to note re RSA is that if the road sign is not in line of sight of the camera it is not picked up and therefore not displayed. If you rely totally on RSA you will come unstuck sometime and, for example, you flash through a speed camera. 

Sorry to bang on about Waze but it does a good job of reporting the road speed and your actual GPS speed, more accurately than most speedometers and analogue or digital.  It will also give you an audible warning if your speeding.

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

The Road Sign Assist is worked from the camera in the centre of the screen. Nothing to do with the sat nav. Point to note re RSA is that if the road sign is not in line of sight of the camera it is not picked up and therefore not displayed. If you rely totally on RSA you will come unstuck sometime and, for example, you flash through a speed camera. 

Thanks Catlover, that's exactly what I was after. My current car has a similar system. 

I find the satnav OK after a few hiccups. Waze etc. are good, but the built in is more convenient, nothing has to be plugged in, and I like having the map in front of me even when not navigating. 

Around the houses I do exactly the same but when I need the sat nav it's Waze I use.