Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo cat theft

Rockfish

Hi i was told by my local Toyota dealer today that they do not sell Cat Locks for my 2015 Aygo as they do not get nicked. Anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

I never heard of any aygo been done. However they do other non hybrid models like Auris 1.6 for example. 

• Like 1

As per above, haven't seen any reports of cat thefts from the Aygo. 

Moved to the Aygo club.

• Like 1

With the location of the cat under the bonnet it can't be easily accessed by the cat thieves preferred method of quickly cutting it out with an angle grinder, so they'll move on to an easier target where the cat is underneath the car.

• Like 3

The Aygo Cat is part of the exhaust manifold, so very unlikely to be stolen by jacking the car up like a Prius.

• Like 1

Ok.thanks to all of you for the advice,my wifes not slept properly since next doors Celica was done 4 nights ago!

Most new Toyota including hybrids the cat is built into the exhaust manifold although there is a second box like particulate filter or second cat that got nicked too, which is easily accessible under the car. Older hybrids like Prius gen 3 these two cats are after exhaust manifold and comes as one peace along with middle silencer, thieves cut the whole lot next to the middle silencer. There were reports of new Corolla been done too, although what was stolen may have no value but  the trouble is as large as catalytic converter itself been stolen. 

It's unusual for an older car like a Celica to be a target as they are not as valuable, replacement is around £130 so i cant see the scrap being any more than £10-15 max a used exhaust is £30-50 unfortunately the sensors are the expensive part

i know it's not all about the money but the inconvenience and the feeling that your property has been stolen

• Like 3

usually the more difficult it is to access, they move on. That's why old landrovers are targeted for example.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

hi everyone new owner of a 20 plate aygo…should I be worried about the cat being stolen ? 
also are there any problems I should be looking out for ? 
thank you 😁

14 minutes ago, Nickky said:

hi everyone new owner of a 20 plate aygo…should I be worried about the cat being stolen ? 
also are there any problems I should be looking out for ? 
thank you 😁

If you look at the earlier replies in this topic, cat theft isn't a common risk for the Aygo.

Problems - some owners find the clutch biting point an issue, although we never have.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nickky said:

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If you look at the earlier replies in this topic, cat theft isn't a common risk for the Aygo.

The cat on the Aygo is close to the engine under the bonnet not under the car, so its location makes it much harder to steal as the thief needs to open the bonnet not just crawl under the car.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 12:18 PM, flash22 said:

The Cat is part of the manifold on the 1KR 1.0l

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183231166351?fits=Model%3AAygo&hash=item2aa96db78f:g:FqQAAOSwq8FeX4iH

As you can see there not that valuable

Very valid point, with prices like that it does not seem to be worth the effort to steal in the first place.

• Like 2