Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hydraulic Bottle Jack ?

152bobby

Since I now carry a Space Saver, I was thinking of getting a small Bottle jack to stick under the boot floor.

I expect a 2 tonne one will do to change a wheel ?

I have found a few online, but all have mixed reviews.

Does anyone know and recommend one ?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Since I now carry a Space Saver, I was thinking of getting a small Bottle Jack to stick under the boot floor.

I expect a 2 tonne one will do to change a wheel ?

I have found a few online, but all have mixed reviews.

Does anyone know and recommend one ?

Thanks

As it would normally only be used when you have had a puncture, and not used constantly any two ton jack should be sufficient. I would when using it be very careful and use the designated jacking points, carry a couple of chock blocks for extra safety when using it.

All jacks have a rating and are designed to go xx% over that before failure. For only occasional use (how often do you get a puncture?), the standard scissor jack as supplied by Toyota isn’t that bad, other than the disproportionate amount of winding required to lift the car.

I had a landrover discovery 300 tdi that came with a 2 stage high lift bottle jack and this was rated at 2 tonnes. When I sold it as spares I kept the jack, it works well with both my Rav4 and my VW Transporter van. These can still be found on eBay.

I use a trolley jack.  Bit heavy to carry in the car 🙂

I saw a neighbour with a trolley jack in the back of his camper van.  I suspect he used it to help level the camper. 

I had a problem when I went to help a stranded motorist with a puncture outside our house, I could not get the trolley under a jacking point.  I suspect a bottle jack might have the same problem is it is much higher than a scissors jack. 

Bottle jacks have their uses im sure but jacking up large SUV's at the side of road isn't one them, I think they are too unstable if the ground isn't flat and solid.

Go for a trolley jack. The lifting pints are all fairly obvious. Scissor jacks are ok but only a specific type as they need an attachment if lifting at the seam welds by the wheels. The lifting points at the front and rear require quite a high lift jack.

When you get your jack always best to familiarise yourself first where all the lifting points are at home and practice. It isn't always as simple at night stranded at the side of the road 🙂

https://toyotarav4japan.blogspot.com/2019/07/toyota-rav4-jack-points_19.html

• Thanks 1